Does Mobil1 racing 4t 10w40 has Molybdenum-based?

Yes Cujet, There is no tribologist or engineer in the world that can accurately predict what happens in extreme conditions.

Incorrect. A viscosity too low for the application and temperatures will result in excess wear rates. Period, end of story. The top picture is what happens when high inertial loads are coupled with oil that can't handle the load. The bottom picture is what happens when a very low viscosity oil is used and an insufficient amount makes it to the head due to it pumping rapidly out in the lower end.

Choose the correct viscosity for the application, choose a quality oil and change the oil regularly. Note: The correct viscosity for the application may not be the manufacturers suggested viscosity. Internet forums, warranty claims and racing results help fine tune these real world requirements.

S85-rod-bearings.png

38249d1525627605-2004-5-4l-3v-camshaft-scoring-cam-caps.jpg

BLS has been made aware of this in the past. He even stopped posting for a few years when it was proven by several members. But for some reason he keeps regurgitating ill-advised, outdated, or simply wrong advice.

BLS has been made aware of this in the past. He even stopped posting for a few years when it was proven by several members. But for some reason he keeps regurgitating ill-advised, outdated, or simply wrong advice.
Yes, it's nearly like an automated bot. People make relevant comments to those repeated posts but they are never acknowledged nor discussed, and then out come the same old comments and pictures in yet another thread.

It also should be pointed out that on some of the posts the text isn't original but instead copied and pasted from other websites.

the only difference is how much HP do you want
to waste on unessessary oil drag???

You're still running that thick as molasses 30 oil in your bike? You're literally castrating your poor RC45. Not many people know this, but Honda outsourced their engineering for this bike to Bangladesh. I mean, chain drive on a Superbike - who the heck does that?

BLS is right about fluid related HP loss. Racers love the thin oils, as long as they can maintain oil temperatures correctly and build the engines with low mass components, the oil can carry the loads. For those of us who don't have million dollar engines, and can't maintain oil temperatures within 5 degrees of the ideal temperature, there is often a need for excess viscosity.

I’m still at a total loss as to why a few HP on the top means anything to a street bike. Bring that 30 weight in the RC45 and let’s go for a ride through downtown Denver on the interstate in stop and go traffic with 102° ambient temps. Let’s see how quiet that top end remains.

It’s utterly ridiculous the poor advice gets repeated, and old irrelevant analysis continues to appear, and nothing is done because it is poor information and does not belong on what I consider an upstanding site like this.

I’m still at a total loss as to why a few HP on the top means anything to a street bike. Bring that 30 weight in the RC45 and let’s go for a ride through downtown Denver on the interstate in stop and go traffic with 102° ambient temps. Let’s see how quiet that top end remains.

It’s utterly ridiculous the poor advice gets repeated, and old irrelevant analysis continues to appear, and nothing is done because it is poor information and does not belong on what I consider an upstanding site like this.

not to poke fun of you...but i pretty much laugh at that 102. come some place where its hot!
it was 86 yesterday...i loved the 20degrees of coolness
ive run sae60 ... that stuff will quiet a banshee

I’m still at a total loss as to why a few HP on the top means anything to a street bike.

Mercy Bonz... Blackstone Labs could not find any significant differences in wear, regardless of
oil thickness... so if 30 and 40 test equal for longevity why not enjoy the extra free HP???
Try it you'll like it...

The Importance of Viscosity?
Quote Blackstone Labs

The viscosity, or thickness of the oil, is not nearly as important
as many people think. Oil retains its nature no matter what thickness
it is.Think about this: automakers are continually recommending
lighter multi-grade oil in new engines. The reason is increased
efficiency. It takes power to pump oil through an engine, and the
lighter the oil, the less power required to pump it. The oil’s ability
to act like a solid and protect parts is not related to its thickness.
If that doesn’t sound quite right, consider this: The gears in a
heavy duty Allison automatic transmission are doing the same work as
the same machine equipped with an Eaton manual transmission. Due to
the hydraulics of the automatic, it runs on a 10W automatic
transmission oil.But the manual transmission uses a very thick
(sometimes up to 90W)gear lube oil. The gears of both types of
transmissions will have a similar life span. We don’t find any
significant differences in wear, regardless of oil thickness.

Blackstone: "The oil’s ability to act like a solid and protect parts is not related to its thickness."

Dudes need to study tribology.

😂 ... we need a face palm emoji.

Even BLS doesn't truly believe the nonsense he copies and pastes. If he did, why is he running such a thick 30 oil in his RC45? If there aren't any significant differences in wear regardless of viscosity, why isn't he running a 0W-16 or 0W-8 oil? Surely that would free up tons of HP. :rolleyes:

For guys that ride their bike on the street, they will understand that oil choice outweighs a few hp up top. I’ve done analysis to know my ZRX wear numbers are better with V-Twin 20w50 vs 4T 10w40. Not a lot, but better is better. Those numbers come from Blackstone analysis. Believe the numbers or the words, it’s for each of us to choose. To paraphrase a famous writer and take literary license, misinformation gets cut and pasted and makes it halfway around the world before reality gets its pants on.

Mercy, pass the popcorn
🍿

Last edited:
not to poke fun of you...but i pretty much laugh at that 102. come some place where its hot!
it was 86 yesterday...i loved the 20degrees of coolness
ive run sae60 ... that stuff will quiet a banshee
Lol, I hear ya. Air density is 20 to 25% less at that altitude and 102 on the asphalt with effectively 20 to 25% less airflow (even at a standstill with the fan running) through the radiator and will tax a cooling system in a hurry. Oil takes the beating. The effective heat difference in terms of the cooling system’s ability to shed it is what I was getting at. The hallowed 30w WILL thin out just from the sheer heat. It won’t shear down necessarily with respect to an analysis done at a later date but the analysis isn’t done at the elevated temps the oil is experiencing at the moment. But hey, thinner frees up a few hp that you just may need muddling through stop and go traffic in said severe conditions. Let those gear driven bumpsticks run joyously at idle with low oil pressure, I say.

Last edited:
To paraphrase a famous writer and take literary license, misinformation gets cut and pasted and makes it halfway around the world before reality gets its pants on.

Mercy, pass the popcorn🍿

And it's harder to kill than Medusa.

When you say say 2-3 hp up top, what is the baseline hp of the engine in question and what is the hp of the same engine running the lighter oil? Is it a 100 hp engine gaining the 2-3 hp, is it a 150 or 175 hp engine gaining 2-3 hp? Or a 200 hp engine gaining 2-3 hp?

In a 100 hp engine 550 pounds of work done over 1 for in 1 second is 1%. You are saying you can tell the difference between a 99 hp engine and a 100 hp engine on the street? Or say the difference is 2%. You can tell the difference between 98 and 100 hp? Or 147 hp and 150 hp? Or the difference between 196 and 200 hp? Take a dump before the ride and eat a snack at the bar on the ride instead of the full meal deal and a beer and make up the performance difference in weight savings.

Last edited:
Take a dump before the ride and eat a snack at the bar on the ride instead of the full meal deal and a beer and make up the performance difference in weight savings.

I'm a certified fanatic when it comes to weight savings... I already subtracted 33 pounds off my RC45 with my home made mods and I'd shave my legs if I thought it would make my bike accelerate quicker...
MrRC45TahoeBendyBits05.jpg

Last edited:
When you say say 2-3 hp up top, what is the baseline hp of the engine in question and what is the hp of the same engine running the lighter oil?

I can feel the difference on the seat of my pants but some riders can't... however the dyno proves a rider enjoys a HP boost between a 30 and 40 with no loss of longevity... try it and see if you can tell a difference... you have nothing to loose except unwanted parasite drag...

Quote Sportrider magazine...

"Some oil manufacturers and their representatives claim that using
their product will result in more horsepower. We decided to put these
claims to the test-an actual dynamometer test. Two of the full synthetic oils in
this test make these horsepower claims on their labels: Maxima Maxum
Ultra (in 0W-30 and 5W-30) and Motul Factory Line 300V (in 5W-30). We
took two open-class sportbikes-a Suzuki GSX-R1000 and a Yamaha
YZF-R1-and ran them with common off-the-shelf Valvoline 10W-40
automobile mineral oil to set a baseline dyno run. That oil was
drained and replaced with the 0W-30 Maxum Ultra in the Suzuki, and the
5W-30 Motul 300V in the Yamaha. After about 15 miles of running to get
the oil fully circulated through the engine, the bikes were then
dynoed again."

"Lo and behold, both the Suzuki and Yamaha posted horsepower gains.
While not an earth-shattering boost in power, the gains were far
beyond common run variations, and weren't restricted to the very top
end. The GSX-R1000 posted an increase of 3.3 horsepower on top, with
some noticeable midrange gains as well; even more interesting was that
the power steadily increased for several dyno runs (as the coolant
temp increased). The Yamaha responded nearly as well, with a 2.7
horsepower boost on top. It should also be noted that while riding
both bikes, there was a noticeable ease in shifting with the synthetic
oils compared to the automobile mineral oil. Pretty impressive for
just changing oil, in our opinion."

Last edited:
Back