Does It Matter What Time of Year You Do an OCI?

Exactly. The very definition of a worthless choice criteria.
I wouldn't say that. He seems to have separated the wheat from the chaff.

It seems that a lot of people use certain name brand oils just based on hype.
I was under the illusion that M1 is one of the best, just based on the many people who use it and pay more for it.
Slick marketing.

As soon as I realized that ST and Amazon Basic are both rated slightly higher than M1 and QS, that was the last time I'd ever underestimate ST oil again. It took a while to find and then absorb the info. I heard it from many people but Project Farm youtube videos are quite convincing.

Do you learn all your World War II history from Hollywood flicks? If not, then I'd suggest doing the same for oil performance, the characteristics of which are measured via actual API, ACEA and OEM sequences, not backyard rigs somebody fabs up for entertainment.

Why do you say it's nonsense?
API licensed oils are put through an entire battery of tests conducted in state of the art laboratories, using state of the art equipment by trained professionals under strict testing protocols before they can display the API donut on the containers. Not to mention the testing required to meet Dexos 1 generation 2 .The idea that some amateur YouTuber can do “tests” in his garage and “rank” the various oils is laughable.

I was under the illusion that M1 is one of the best, just based on the many people who use it and pay more for it.
Slick marketing.

He's done nothing of the sort.

Just like we don't judge tire performance by firing some yokel down the side of the mountain in a clapped-out 1980 Silverado, we don't judge oil performance based on amateur bench tests. Yes, both would be entertaining, and both provide absolutely zero value to somebody interested in the results of actual testing protocols.

He's done nothing of the sort.

Just like we don't judge tire performance by firing some yokel down the side of the mountain in a clapped-out 1980 Silverado, we don't judge oil performance based on amateur bench tests. Yes, both would be entertaining, and both provide absolutely zero value to somebody interested in the results of actual testing protocols.
I agree with you guys. The way he tests the oils are nothing like the real life conditions the oils would get inside our ICEs.

But regardless of his youtube videos it doesn't seem as though I'm making bad decisions to have chosen ST and PP oils to run in my Prius C.

I agree with you guys. The way he tests the oils are nothing like the real life conditions the oils would get inside our ICEs.

But regardless of his youtube videos it doesn't seem as though I'm making bad decisions to have chosen ST and PP oils to run in my Prius C.

You can't go wrong with an appropriate oil approved for the application, so if both of those oils meet the requirements, then you are definitely covering your bases.

Slick marketing.
Nope, he’s creating chaff. Please learn about something before you promote it.

As is always the case it’s about licenses, approvals and specifications in terms of discriminating brands and oils, not some dood on the Internet who has no clue what he thinks he’s doing.

Nope, he’s creating chaff. Please learn about something before you promote it.

As is always the case it’s about licenses, approvals and specifications in terms of discriminating brands and oils, not some dood on the Internet who has no clue what he thinks he’s doing.
What oils do you run in your Toyotas?

Since I have had my Van I always followed severe duty which is 4k. I was going to once a year but wanted to know of hours before I pushed it. In last 1000k miles I have 50 hours so I will stay with 4k which is between 6 to 8 months. If I were doing once a year I would change in October due to winter there is more moisture which will burn off in warmer climate.

Why does that matter or pertain to this discussion?

Trying to compare PF to the API testing is fruitless.

I don't have to explain to you why I asked him a question.
How about if you MYOB and quit playing moderator?

What oils do you run in your Toyotas?
I don't care, you can know if you want. In the Sienna I run the least expensive oil I can find that has Porsche A40 or Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval because of the proven oxidation resistance and stay-in-grade performance of that approval, which is important for this old 1MZ-FE. That's typically Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart. The ECHO mostly gets whatever synthetic is on sale, but lately I've been using the same VW 504.00 oil that I get for the Tiguan. The least expensive 504 oil I've found is Castrol 5W-30 LL from Walmart.com. But I’ve used a lot of Supertech and Citgo or Mobil 1 in the past. That engine is not at all like the other one.

Last edited:
I usually do oil changes in spring and November timeframe. Oil filter stays on for multiple OCI, and I use fomoto drain valves, so sometimes I do an oil change in January to March since it's only a drain and fill of the oil during that time. I'm going to change oil on the Caravan soon maybe this upcoming weekend.

I was switching between conventional and full synthetic, but now I'll be using full synthetic all the time going forward. Next OCI Valvoline SynPower and then onto Pennzoil Ultra.

I don't care, you can know if you want. In the Sienna I run the least expensive oil I can find that has Porsche A40 or Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval because of the proven oxidation resistance and stay-in-grade performance of that approval, which is important for this old 1MZ-FE. That's typically Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart. The ECHO mostly gets whatever is on sale, but lately I've been using the same VW 504.00 oil that I get for the Tiguan. The least expensive 504 oil I've found is Castrol 5W-30 LL from Walmart.com.
Interesting. You sure seem to be getting good mileage out of those vehicles.
I think most Toyotas would last 500k miles on vegetable oil if you changed it often enough.
My car has the same 1.5L engine as the Echo. Great little cars.

Reactions: JC1
Back