Does It Matter What Time of Year You Do an OCI?

Went to Walmart today and looked at their oil but couldn't bring myself to buy a bottle of PZ at this time and drain out my 3 month old ST FS 0w20. I found info on youtube last night by Project Farm or something like that, that says ST is basically in the same category as as Amazon Basic, Castrol, QS, etc. So if I drained my ST it would be like draining away QS oil that had only been used for 3 months.
I will wait and run some PZ later on. I think it would be good to clean the engine with once in a while, and when I do, I may run it for a full year.

I may also run this ST for a full year. In the Spring I'm going to send in a sample of it for a UOA.

Last edited:
Went to Walmart today and looked at their oil but couldn't bring myself to buy a bottle of PZ at this time and drain out my 3 month old ST FS 0w20. I found info on youtube last night by Project Farm or something like that, that says ST is basically in the same category as as Amazon Basic, Castrol, QS, etc. So if I drained my ST it would be like draining away QS oil that had only been used for 3 months.
I will wait and run some PZ later on. I think it would be good to clean the engine with once in a while, and when I do, I may run it for a full year.

I may also run this ST for a full year. In the Spring I'm going to send a sample of it for a UOA.

Does this mean you’ve changed your mind on doing the oil change now?

I change my oil whenever I get bored. It is a fun activity.

I seriously wish there was a local Oil Change Club. We could all get together, and change our oil all at once.

This site is the closest thing I have to that club.. or friends.

I am not making this up.

As soon as I realized that ST and Amazon Basic are both rated slightly higher than M1 and QS, that was the last time I'd ever underestimate ST oil again. It took a while to find and then absorb the info. I heard it from many people but Project Farm youtube videos are quite convincing.

My wife has the only vehicle that is close to a once a year candidate. Looking at my records it is more like every 9-months. Summer is much nicer, the days are longer, the driveway isn't wet, the beer is colder.

All my warranties are up, so when my vehicles hit the mileage of my OCI I change the oil. There's a little wiggle room built in so if it happens in the dead of the winter I can pick my day, or run my oil filled electric radiators I have in the garage and do the oil change there.

I think if one were on the once a year OCI I would choose Spring because it’s nice weather. Probably doesn’t matter much in the grand scheme of things.

oilBabe’s RAV4 is on a 10k mile OCI and that usually works out to Spring and Fall give or take.

My Mazda3 is on a 7500 mile OCI and I’m probably due this or next week based on call volume.
We both drive about 20k miles per year.

As soon as I realized that ST and Amazon Basic are both rated slightly higher than M1 and QS, that was the last time I'd ever underestimate ST oil again. It took a while to find and then absorb the info. I heard it from many people but Project Farm youtube videos are quite convincing.
Please don’t take the nonsense on Project Farm seriously.

Back