Does It Drive You Crazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by CoosBayDave:
At first I was surprised at how people can have such strong fixed ideas about oil ("inferior")products based purely on anecdotal evidence.

What's going to offer up better protection and cleanliness for this turbo engine?

Choice #1:
Valvoline All-Climate 10w-30

Choice #2:
Mobil Delvac 1300S

Nothing anecdotal about it to me...

We have a close friend who is a senior exec. at am major fin. serv. company, brilliant woman, advanced degress. Has a beautiful Porsche 911. She told me that her owners manual says 15,000 mile oil changes (that's what she's been doing). Her car gets heavey use commuting, NYC traffic in/out. She's a church friend, wasn't offended when I explained (from what I had learned here) why the oil needed to be changed more frequently. But it is amazing how many people will hear one opinion about oil changes and go along for years without asking any questions.

I agree with crashz. Not letting people come to their own decisions about things can be fraught with problems. It's much better to give them all the information they need and let them do things their own way most of the time.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Case in point: A friend of mine's parents have a Volvo S70 T5. Great car and a blast to drive, but they have used Valvoline 10w-30 (with Valvoline filter) with 5,000 OCI's in a:

2.3L Turbocharged I5
236hp/243lb-ft

They payed a great deal of money for this car and then cheap out when it comes to the oil!

I don't get it, it sounds like they are taking very good car of their car, the way it should be. Why do you say they "cheap out" on the oil changes? It appears that this site has done a good job of brainwashing you when you start thinking that changing oil at 5K is bad for the engine and everyone should be using synthetic.

My 1986 SAAB Turbo(oil cooled) Convert has 250K+ miles on 7500 OCI with Vavoline 10w-30 dino and runs like a champ. I pay $20 for the oil change at my indy SAAB shop since new, never crawled under the car and I will challange anyone that says I do not maintain my car properly with 7500 mile OCI on dino oil .... 250K+ miles of oil-cooled turbo, boost turned up and used regularly and never knew what turbo "cool down" was.

Soudns like you friends parent are doing a great job of enjoying their car; the reason they probably bought it.

Not that I don't care about my follow man, but honestly I would not offer advice, service or otherwise unless asked. Some people will take full advange of it and hang you in one way or another. I'd rather refer them to this site or just let them go do as they have done in the past.

Dagmando;

Good for you, man. I find it interesting that you routinely bring up this example whenever threads turn to OCIs and no one seems to want to talk about it.

Your success with the manufacturer's intervals and recommended oils is a real threat to oil companies, analysis labs, and car nuts everywhere. If I were you I'd vary my route to work and check my rear view mirror often to make sure they're not coming to get you
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:

quote:

Case in point: A friend of mine's parents have a Volvo S70 T5. Great car and a blast to drive, but they have used Valvoline 10w-30 (with Valvoline filter) with 5,000 OCI's in a:

2.3L Turbocharged I5
236hp/243lb-ft

They payed a great deal of money for this car and then cheap out when it comes to the oil!

I don't get it, it sounds like they are taking very good car of their car, the way it should be. Why do you say they "cheap out" on the oil changes? It appears that this site has done a good job of brainwashing you when you start thinking that changing oil at 5K is bad for the engine and everyone should be using synthetic.

My 1986 SAAB Turbo(oil cooled) Convert has 250K+ miles on 7500 OCI with Vavoline 10w-30 dino and runs like a champ. I pay $20 for the oil change at my indy SAAB shop since new, never crawled under the car and I will challange anyone that says I do not maintain my car properly with 7500 mile OCI on dino oil .... 250K+ miles of oil-cooled turbo, boost turned up and used regularly and never knew what turbo "cool down" was.

Soudns like you friends parent are doing a great job of enjoying their car; the reason they probably bought it.

With all due respect, your single good experience is just that, a single good experience. While I'm genuinely happy for you, that experience alone does not prove or validate any global "rules" or conclusions. As a counterpoint, I had a couple of friends back in the mid-80s who had oil cooled turbos fry themselves in relatively short order (mid five figure mileage as I recall) using dino oil with regular changes. In both cases, oil in the turbo bearing had "coked." Given the relatively small additional cost of a synthetic oil (at lease when compared with a major engine repair), and its known superior resistance to heat (compared with dino oil), if it were me (and it's not...), I'd go with the syn in a heartbeat, and I'd have done so even if I'd never found this forum.

Perhaps your car is akin to the occasional 95 year-old life-long tobacco user who gets interviewed on TV with a cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth and declares that smoking won't hurt you one bit, just look at me. . .
wink.gif

The secret of long turbo life is not overheating the turbo and idling the engine untill the temp gets to 300 degrees f. The syn oil won't make a whole lot of difference if you shut down the engine with a 900 degree temperature on the pyro.

As an example of YMMV I bought a used Land Rover as a project. It had 88K miles and records that indicated the oil was changed at around 5K-ish intervals. I later found the engine heavily caked with varnish and sludge. The rod and main bearings where taken out at 103K and were worn to the copper on the load bearing sides.

The previous owner did a lot of short trips (lived close to office) and the PCV system was clogged shut for at least a while - probably the main cause.

If most of your driving is on a warm engine at moderately steady speeds (esp highway driving), then long OCIs and dino oil probably works fine. For me, spending an extra $40 a year for 3 rather than 2 oil changes on a vehicle costing five figures is a no brainer.

Two friends of mine came to mind immediately when I started reading this thread. They are both licensed engineers in NY, very "intelligent" individuals. I offer my shop, tools, and expertise to my friends when they need car work done. One friend admitted a 14k OCI on cheap dino, the other admitted a 12k OCI on cheap dino. I found that they really don't want to hear me preach about the possible damage they may be doing. I had to give up trying to help them do what is best for longevity, just fix what is broken and move on.

quote:

...when you're riding or driving in someone else's car and know they could be using a MUCH BETTER oil and filter?

Ugghhh, it's starting to drive me absolutely CRAZY (I think I've been bitten by the oil bug!
grin.gif
).

2.3L Turbocharged I5
236hp/243lb-ft

I'm thinking the best course of action at this point (for the sake of the car and so I won't be so annoyed) is to offer up my services and make the switch over to Mobil Delvac 1300 (until the cold temps arrive) with a Bosch filter.

Will probably just let them run it into the ground though...

Car has 90,000 miles on it.

Your thoughts?

How old is this car with 90K miles?

Hey if they are putting 25K miles/year on the car they are doing 5 oil changes a year or one every 10 weeks, give or take.

Need more data before we can say the OCI is right or wrong.

TB

I don't get involved in threads here much but it seems like certain people always tend to back thier agenda in every post.

Cleanliness? Gimme a break. That is the best you can do.

Protection? How so? Does the car melt down every time the run to the store.

I am as guilty as the next guy when it comes to nit picking oil but this just another "bow at the holy shrine of HDEO" thread.

The more and more I learn about oil and cars in general makes me believe not matter what products are used when it comes to oil and filters that the spread from best to worst is less than 1%. Maybe your car goes 300K and mine goes 298K. Not worth the extra money to me when I believe the build quality of the engine determines how long it last anyway.

I'd sure like to know if everyone here who is so up in arms about their neighbors OCI and brands, much less their own, is as anal about tires, wax, tune up components, heck, even potting soil for their gardens. Do you use only the top of the line tires on your car? Is the compressor drained before you add air to your tires? Guys, relax and take a deep breath.......It's just a car and it is not even your own.

Jelly,

Fortunately, I was able to convince my boss to run GC in his 2 Volvos and his weekend BMW Z3 roadster.

His Volvo S70 low pressure turbo was getting serviced at a quick lube/detail shop with Valvoline Synpower. After helping him change the oil in the S70 a month ago, I believe the quicky lube joint never bother to change the OEM Mann cartridge filter element.

He is happy because the engine runs smoother and the turbo spools up much better and his 3 vehicle fleet can run on the same oil.

Yes, most people's lack of maintenance does "drive me crazy", to a degree. I am not a mechanic, but I have a keen interest in keeping my cars in top shape for reliability and longevity, as do all of the folks on this forum. I find that when I go car shopping that I don't even look at good used cars anymore because I don't trust the previous owners maintenance! I know that a "certified" used car is probably a good one, but they seem to be expensive --> right up there with the new car prices. Maybe I am "crazy", or maybe just "cautious", but in the long haul I am trying to get the best service for my investment.

SWS

I admit to giving unrequested auto advice to people who are close to me. If they respond well, I will give them a bunch of help. If not, I blow them off. Everyone has a different stragety, I don't agree with many...for instance...my Uncle insists the best way to maintain oil level is to go the the same gas station/garage and let them check it. Ok, how many problems can we find here? Overfill, mis-read level, oil added to wrong orifice, etc. I don't want anyone I don't know under the hood. They don't even have the kind of oil I need. What do you do on long trips, wait until you get home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back