Does Honda give an oil overfill maximum safe range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked my oil in my 2019 crv LX with 600 miles and it reads about 1/4 inch above upper marker. Hopefully it was a factory overfill and not oil dilution but should I remove some oil or can anyone confirm whether this is completely safe on the engine? Thanks.

Honda gave some guidance to Chinese customers on the 1.5T engine in response to fuel dilution issues (and the level was lots more than 1/4 inch) but AFAIK, they haven't been specific about the K24W in your CRV.

Then owner's manual suggests any overfill is bad, but my K24W came with about 1/4 inch overfill from the factory and service techs are notoriously bad at replacing the correct amount. I wouldn't worry about your current level or even 1/2 inch or so. Beyond that you may want some corrective action for peace of mind.

As a PS, while these 2.4 engines are not as notorious for fuel dilution as the 1.5Ts, they do suffer from the same DI ailment.

Originally Posted by axxel6307
Just checked my oil in my 2019 crv LX with 600 miles and it reads about 1/4 inch above upper marker. Hopefully it was a factory overfill and not oil dilution but should I remove some oil or can anyone confirm whether this is completely safe on the engine? Thanks.

Was it checked....
hot or cold?
on level surface?

Does the dipstick oil smell of fuel?
Do you have a diagram of how the oil level should look at the full-mark? In other words, how do you know the upper marker is the correct full-mark?

Either way, you are probably still in the Safe Zone, should the crankcase hold at least 4-6 quarts. It could probably be a half-inch over and still be safe. My Hyundai was a half-inch over and it holds five quarts. I did not remove an ounce. It currently sits a half-inch over because I changed the oil at 3K - then purchased Liqui-Moly for it, after the oil change. So I added 6.5oz Liqui-Moly to an already full dipstick.

No problemo, other than not knowing what 5.1 quarts is specifically. I put in five quarts and four ounces as being 5.1, prior to the Liqui-Moly addition. The 5.1 quarts registered slightly above the full-line. Then I added 6.5oz more.

No problemo Pt 2.

Last edited:
Is it higher than it was when you first got it ? If not, you have no baseline for comparison.

I would think most modern engines could handle a half quart over full of oil.
Many older american V-8 engines could handle a quart over easily.
Once running, a lot of oil is up in the heads, etc..

My 2¢

The LX has the 2.4 L 4cyl that does not have an issue with fuel dilution. But, 1/4" over the fill line sounds like the nose of the CR-V is pointed downward while checking the oil level. ???

Originally Posted by Char Baby
The LX has the 2.4 L 4cyl that does not have an issue with fuel dilution. But, 1/4" over the fill line sounds like the nose of the CR-V is pointed downward while checking the oil level. ???

I always back-into my driveway and park it between the front door entrance and backyard gate. So being most driveways have slopes, my vehicle nose is lower than the rear-end.

How do you know it's over filled? You only know if the dipstick is correct if "you" change the oil and put in what the manual says.
I always put in 1qt less on first oil change. Start it, check for leaks etc. Shut it off and let sit. Check the dipstick. Now you know for a fact where 1qt low is. Add a qt, now you where full is. I note in my service book where 1qt low and full is on that dipstick. Only a couple a cars/trucks did the dipstick ever read correct.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I always back-into my driveway and park it between the front door entrance and backyard gate. So being most driveways have slopes, my vehicle nose is lower than the rear-end.

I've seen this mentioned here before but don't you think when they designed the car they took this into consideration? I can see if you jacked up the rear end after you purchased the car but straight from the factory I would think if was figured in, just my thoughts.

To the OP, if it gained 1/4 inch in only 600 miles I'd be keeping a close eye on it but both my Lucerne and GMC are about the same after an OC.

Originally Posted by oldhp
How do you know it's over filled? You only know if the dipstick is correct if "you" change the oil and put in what the manual says.
I always put in 1qt less on first oil change. Start it, check for leaks etc. Shut it off and let sit. Check the dipstick. Now you know for a fact where 1qt low is. Add a qt, now you where full is. I note in my service book where 1qt low and full is on that dipstick. Only a couple a cars/trucks did the dipstick ever read correct.

Stop making so much sense. You make it obvious you aren't a governmental politician.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I've seen this mentioned here before but don't you think when they designed the car they took this into consideration?

No, they expect it to be checked while parked on a level surface.

A quarter inch is not enough to worry about, but if it keeps you awake, go head and change it.
smile.gif
. After all, it will now conform with the " early factory fill change " fans. I like the idea of checking to see what " a quart low " looks like.

The 1.5 engine seems weird when checking oil level to get the correct reading you need to wait 10 or 15 min after you turn off the engine for a correct reading. The first oil change on my wife's civic 1.5 I over filled because I didn't wait long enough for the oil to drain back down into the pan. I over filled by at least 1/2 quart and then drained some out later.

My driveway has an upward slope when pulling up toward the garage. When the nose/front end is pointing upward, my oil level will show under the full mark by about that same 1/4". Should I back in toward the garage(to unload groceries) where the front/nose of the vehicle is now downward, my oil level will show overfilled by that same 1/4" over the full line.

Of course, this isn't how I check my oil volume, I just know from trying it. I always check the oil volume on(as close to) level ground as possible.

Last edited:
Most engines these days will tolerate a slight overfill with no issues whatsoever. When I had a 2000 Honda Civic (1.6L engine) I would often put in 4.4L (that's how our big jugs used to be sold up here) but that engine actually called for closer to 3.6L of oil.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Was it checked hot or cold?

Both. Cold reads 1/8 inch over, and hot (3 to 10 minute after shutoff) is about 1/4 over.

Originally Posted by Danh
Honda gave some guidance to Chinese customers on the 1.5T engine in response to fuel dilution issues (and the level was lots more than 1/4 inch) but AFAIK, they haven't been specific about the K24W in your CRV.

Then owner's manual suggests any overfill is bad, but my K24W came with about 1/4 inch overfill from the factory and service techs are notoriously bad at replacing the correct amount. I wouldn't worry about your current level or even 1/2 inch or so. Beyond that you may want some corrective action for peace of mind.

As a PS, while these 2.4 engines are not as notorious for fuel dilution as the 1.5Ts, they do suffer from the same DI ailment.

Yeah, I thought the DI problem was limited to 1.5T until after purchase when I realized mine also has some reports of it and actually I've read that any modern DI engine will experience it but should not cause any engine damage in most cases. I hope I'm one of those cases. So far, after checking oil for several days, it has not risen. Hopefully, I'm good and don't experience any issues. If I can make it through next winter, I'll be fully convinced.

Originally Posted by axxel6307

Was it checked....
hot or cold?
on level surface?

Does the dipstick oil smell of fuel?
Do you have a diagram of how the oil level should look at the full-mark? In other words, how do you know the upper marker is the correct full-mark?

Either way, you are probably still in the Safe Zone, should the crankcase hold at least 4-6 quarts. It could probably be a half-inch over and still be safe. My Hyundai was a half-inch over and it holds five quarts. I did not remove an ounce. It currently sits a half-inch over because I changed the oil at 3K - then purchased Liqui-Moly for it, after the oil change. So I added 6.5oz Liqui-Moly to an already full dipstick.

No problemo, other than not knowing what 5.1 quarts is specifically. I put in five quarts and four ounces as being 5.1, prior to the Liqui-Moly addition. The 5.1 quarts registered slightly above the full-line. Then I added 6.5oz more.

No problemo Pt 2.

Interesting. Are there any studies/stats to back the liqui moly adding? Might be something I'd use. Are you doing anything special for your cvt? I am an occasional driver and do about 5k per year and planned on changing cvt oil once a year but am curious what others are doing.

To answer you, I checked both hot and cold on level ground and on cold it's about 1/8 above and when hot (3 to 10 min after shutoff) it's about 1/4 over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back