Does GTX leave varnish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

So varnish used to be a problem with GTX?

Lets just say it's been discussed here. Some said it was a problem at one time -- others here refuted it.

All that matters now is today's GTX. I feel it's top-tier dino -- along with the yellow Pennzoil bottle. Best syn'blend right now (for the money) is Motorcraft. I feel Conoco puts a higher grade base mix in it - versus that of brother & sister Kendall & Trop-Artic.

I base those beliefs on Conoco's price structure for each. The add-packs may be the same - but I don't feel the base oil is.

Oops... got way off-subject here... sorry!

Hold on! This is like the classic, "so, have you stopped beating your wife now?" question. It assumes that the subject had, in fact, been beating his wife (which may or may not be true).

In this instance, you started with an "it was mentioned..." reference to GTX maybe leaving varnish. But that's a separate question that needs to be separately addressed.

My opinion? An engine can develop varnish on almost any oil, if you abuse it "correctly." Used in a common sense way, in a healthy engine, no varnish.

It may of been. My dad used GTX in his car since 99 till last year and it had varnish. I 100% positive it was varnish free when he bought it. I used GTX around 99-01 and noticed it in a few on my vehicles. I haven't used it since. I also noticed the engines were quieter with other oils. It seems i'm the only one that has had that problem but with usage in several vehicles that's the only link. Besides you can get other oils cheaper and are just as good.

OMG! This thread is silly. What special property was GTX supposed to have which caused it to "varnish" engines???
ufo.gif
crackmeup.gif

logically speaking, I think all dinos at one point "left varnish". I think it has more to do with the current standard for il quality rather than something brand-specific. The problem with that is it leaves no room for bias and argument so carry on!

Quote:

logically speaking, I think all dinos at one point "left varnish". I think it has more to do with the current standard for il quality rather than something brand-specific. The problem with that is it leaves no room for bias and argument so carry on!

AMEN!

Might as well be saying "I heard Krispy Kreme donuts make you fat!"

Quote:

Quote:

AMEN!

Might as well be saying "I heard Krispy Kreme donuts make you fat!"

Yeah, And pennzoil causes sludge
smirk.gif

Don't make me find the thread where the poster claimed that every engine he (or his dad) tore down that used GTX was varnished.

OMG, don't make me find the thread where X engine was torn down and X was discovered while X oil was used. Being a 70's/80's child, I enjoyed those "Madlibs" books.

Practically any motor oil will leave varnish under the right conditions (or should I say, wrong conditions) in practically any engine. The further back you go, the more likely you'll be to see this.

Varnish Happens!

IS there any connection between varnish, and (almost)black colored used oil like my 92 Nissan has? +200,000 miles.

Should I use
high moly oil
high sodium oil
or oil with no moly or sodium?

Quote:

Best syn'blend right now (for the money) is Motorcraft. I feel Conoco puts a higher grade base mix in it - versus that of brother & sister Kendall & Trop-Artic. ... I base those beliefs on Conoco's price structure for each.

When you supply evidence instead of wild-eyed guesses, you just might gain some credibility traction. (Since Ford's effectively one more middleman in Motorcarft's distribution chain, guess what that does to Motorcraft's price structure.
wink.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back