Does Edge 0w20 contain moly? Any recent voa’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went with the Mazda high moly oil for our first change (‘19 cx5 awd touring) at 2500 miles, and changed again at 5k with Zepro moly 0w20 last weekend. Picked up a couple 5qt jugs of the Castrol Edge black bottle 0w20 on prime day for the next couple changes, but haven't been able to find a somewhat recent voa on this particular oil. Does it contain any molybdenum? I'm sure it'll be a fine oil for 5k oci's regardless, but would like a little moly in the mix

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Try your local dealer. Mine sells it for 4.25 a quart.

That's a great price! My local dealers normally sell it for $6.49 qt. when it's on sale, but all local dealers will match each other sales price when they run special pricing.

As a side note, they also sell Mobil 1 0W-20 "on sale" for $8.95 qt. That's laughable!

https://www.maitatoyota.com/toyota-parts-specials/

Ed

Last edited:
This too is also very high moly and is the factory fill for Mazda engines. Make sure you get their product that says "advanced moly" as there are 2 containers that look nearly identical; the other one is DexOs2 rated.

https://www.amazon.com/ZEPRO-30010095-95300C020-Medalist-Advanced-Engine/dp/B072QXMJBS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=S1NFSHNUX36A&keywords=idemitsu+0w20+synthetic+oil&qid=1563832800&s=gateway&sprefix=idemitsu+%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-4

Local dealer wants $8/qt for tgmo and haven't been able to find much better online. The Zepro moly looks good and I just used that this past oil change, but it also comes out to roughly $8/qt. Plan was to switch over to qsud 0w20 or stick with the Zepro if it comes on sale, but impulsively picked up two jugs of edge 0w20 for $17/ea. Being that our cx5 will be getting oil changes every 6 weeks or so (5k oci, 3-4K miles per month), would prefer to use a cheaper oil. Based on the edge 5w20 voa, thinking the 0w20 should be fine

Originally Posted by Stickygreen
Local dealer wants $8/qt for tgmo and haven't been able to find much better online. The Zepro moly looks good and I just used that this past oil change, but it also comes out to roughly $8/qt. Plan was to switch over to qsud 0w20 or stick with the Zepro if it comes on sale, but impulsively picked up two jugs of edge 0w20 for $17/ea. Being that our cx5 will be getting oil changes every 6 weeks or so (5k oci, 3-4K miles per month), would prefer to use a cheaper oil. Based on the edge 5w20 voa, thinking the 0w20 should be fine

With a 5K OCI, I really think you will be more than adequately protected using the Edge or even the Magnatec. I use no-name (Milesyn) bulk oil that's SN and DexOs certified at 5K OCI and the UOAs are just fine & dandy.

I'm not sure if the CX5 calls for 0/20 or 5/30 but in Cali, you'd be fine either way. I know some people will cringe but I've mixed 0/20 and 5/30 on plenty of occasions and the UOAs look equally stellar. If I intentionally mix, I use the same brand and product-line of oil. In my case, I purchase Milesyn in bulk buckets in both those grades. Been doing this for nearly a decade and my engines outlast the rest of the vehicles. -The important part is OCI commensurate with your driving demands.

Ray

EDIT: I have 2 Mazdas...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back