Does Dexron VI last 100k?

PDX- you've every right to your opinion- and you seem to have something to prove. That's fine- there's nothing WRONG with Transynd as far as I know. But I'm looking for information- not the opinion of the loudest & proudest guy within ear-shot.

Whitewolf has impressed me in the past with some of the info that he's brought to the forum... info that is far more convincing to ME than testimonials from whatever Big Name you want to pull out. That's not to say that I agree with Whitewolf's arguments 100%, but I do value his perspective.

Like I've said before- I have nothing to prove in this argument. I have both Transynd and Dex VI in my oil-stash. I just want to know more about them. And I'd be interested in what Whitewolf has to say about it- although he's being pretty [censored] stingy with the information lately.

Feel free to beat your chest and proclaim victory all you want... it's none of my concern. But I'm neither impressed nor convinced.

Bravo. Well said.

And since Dex III and Dex VI are so very different in spec how can they be lumped together?

My Allison tows a 13k+ pound fifth wheel virtually anytime it's in use, and it's full of Dex VI. According to both dealer sources I have, it is fully warranted to 100k miles with that fluid.

Good enough for me. Even despite the 'experts'.

Did Transynd/TES295 fail a Dexron spec, or simply never approved for it because it didn't need to be for its intended application?

So, here is a question for you?
In your vehicle, would you rather have a full synthetic(PAO) DexronIII-G fluid or a generic mineral DexronIII-H ATF?
I know which I would use and it wouldn't be a mineral ATF.

Originally Posted By: onion
PDX- you've every right to your opinion- and you seem to have something to prove. That's fine- there's nothing WRONG with Transynd as far as I know. But I'm looking for information- not the opinion of the loudest & proudest guy within ear-shot.

Whitewolf has impressed me in the past with some of the info that he's brought to the forum... info that is far more convincing to ME than testimonials from whatever Big Name you want to pull out. That's not to say that I agree with Whitewolf's arguments 100%, but I do value his perspective.

Like I've said before- I have nothing to prove in this argument. I have both Transynd and Dex VI in my oil-stash. I just want to know more about them. And I'd be interested in what Whitewolf has to say about it- although he's being pretty [censored] stingy with the information lately.

Feel free to beat your chest and proclaim victory all you want... it's none of my concern. But I'm neither impressed nor convinced.

I'm sorry you feel that way... it wasn't my intention to get personal with anyone so please don't read it that way. I was simply expressing a defense for something that I felt he was off base in saying... you say you want data.. well I ask.. where is his data about TranSynd failing and as unDummy said, was it a matter of failing or something else?

I'm still waiting on someone to comment about the Allison link I posted now twice... that is data, isn't it? I didn't make it up that Allison is forbidding Dextron III and VI in their transmissions.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Bravo. Well said.

And since Dex III and Dex VI are so very different in spec how can they be lumped together?

My Allison tows a 13k+ pound fifth wheel virtually anytime it's in use, and it's full of Dex VI. According to both dealer sources I have, it is fully warranted to 100k miles with that fluid.

Good enough for me. Even despite the 'experts'.

in the end it's your truck and you can put motor oil in the transmission for all I care... I am not here to sell TranSynd, I have nothing to do with them or Castrol, I'm just trying to stop the misinformation about it and share my findings with members who might care.

Originally Posted By: PDX2500HD
onion, I just looked up a recent debate I apparently had with whitewolf over a statement he made about Transynd having failed Dex III spec.. I already once silenced him on this topic... there is nothing more to say. Allison and GM both allow the use of TranSynd/TES295, GM in the case of extreme temps which I'm sure was reluctantly put into the owners manual, Allison in ALL cases.. it's the superior fluid to Dextron III/VI, ESPECIALLY if you're going extended interval.

As per Allison's above referenced ST-1099, every Allison commercial transmission from the 1000 to the 5000, on RV's, Waste Management garbage trucks, Medium and Heavy Duty diesel trucks, etc.. today use it (OR a TES-295).

And incase it comes up again... there are NO appreciable mechanical differences between the 1000 in the GM trucks and the 1000 sold directly by Allison... there are minor shift programing differences ONLY.

Found that thread with him .. here..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...564#Post2147564

I wasn't 'silenced' as you claim, I just didn't think you understood the information I gave you. But as it's come up again, here is the information you seem to misunderstand:

TranSynd was approved for DEXRON-III(G). When GM upgraded the spec from (G) to (H) TranSynd no longer met the more stringent requirements and therefore lost their DEXRON approval.

This is not ambiguous, TranSynd has not had a GM DEXRON approval since the upgrade from (G) to (H) in 2003.

Originally Posted By: onion
Whitewolf! I was hoping you'd show up.

I realize you're limited in just how much info you can release... but as you can see, this discussion is sorely lacking in hard info. I remember that some time back, you had some data showing that DexVI was significantly 'better' than Transynd in several tests. Care to refresh my memory on that? Do you have a link or something?

And could you clarify the issue with DexVI and nitrile seals? I know that there's an Allison service bulletin out on the issue- I've seen it. As I recall, it says not to use DexVI in Allison transmissions made before a certain date and/or serial number. Anything you can tell us about that issue?

Sorry for the delay, Onion! There are some tech link articles outlining DEXRON-VI performance, if you can't find them, send me a PM and I'll have another look and get a link for you.

As far as the seal issue is concerned, it's kind of amusing because there's always been an issue, it's just that nobody noticed until they started to look. At that time, Allison approved all kinds of fluids including engine oils and other things, but it appears that nobody ever looked at the seals in such detail. So the problem existed already, but the introduction of DEXRON-VI apparently gave them an easy 'out'

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
onion, I just looked up a recent debate I apparently had with whitewolf over a statement he made about Transynd having failed Dex III spec.. I already once silenced him on this topic... there is nothing more to say. Allison and GM both allow the use of TranSynd/TES295, GM in the case of extreme temps which I'm sure was reluctantly put into the owners manual, Allison in ALL cases.. it's the superior fluid to Dextron III/VI, ESPECIALLY if you're going extended interval.

As per Allison's above referenced ST-1099, every Allison commercial transmission from the 1000 to the 5000, on RV's, Waste Management garbage trucks, Medium and Heavy Duty diesel trucks, etc.. today use it (OR a TES-295).

And incase it comes up again... there are NO appreciable mechanical differences between the 1000 in the GM trucks and the 1000 sold directly by Allison... there are minor shift programing differences ONLY.

I wasn't 'silenced' as you claim, I just didn't think you understood the information I gave you. But as it's come up again, here is the information you seem to misunderstand:

TranSynd was approved for DEXRON-III(G). When GM upgraded the spec from (G) to (H) TranSynd no longer met the more stringent requirements and therefore lost their DEXRON approval.

This is not ambiguous, TranSynd has not had a GM DEXRON approval since the upgrade from (G) to (H) in 2003.

ok, fair enough Whitewolf, but what does any of this have to do with what ALLISON says with regards to NOT using Dex III or VI in their transmissions? The link I posted TWICE now clearly states it's no longer approved. More over, I called Allison and spoke to an engineer who said that DEX VI (specifically) was not good enough for anything longer than 10K intervals and most of their customers needed a more durable fluid... thus the revocation. Feel free to call them yourself.

Lastly, Dex III was for older Allisons... Dex VI is for the newer models...

I'm just trying to make sure that the people who scan and read this thread that own late model GM diesel trucks don't get bad information on TranSynd.. If you or they wish to continue with DEX III or VI, that's fine, and that's what GM recommends... but again, GM didn't design the box... they just assemble it (for business reasons).

ok, fair enough Whitewolf, but what does any of this have to do with what ALLISON says with regards to NOT using Dex III or VI in their transmissions? The link I posted TWICE now clearly states it's no longer approved. More over, I called Allison and spoke to an engineer who said that DEX VI (specifically) was not good enough for anything longer than 10K intervals and most of their customers needed a more durable fluid... thus the revocation. Feel free to call them yourself.

Lastly, Dex III was for older Allisons... Dex VI is for the newer models...

I'm just trying to make sure that the people who scan and read this thread that own late model GM diesel trucks don't get bad information on TranSynd.. If you or they wish to continue with DEX III or VI, that's fine, and that's what GM recommends... but again, GM didn't design the box... they just assemble it (for business reasons).

It's probably not commercially advantageous for Allison to recommend the DEXRON-VI fluid.

And it's not commercially advantageous for GM to recommend anything other than Dextron's since they own the license. Oddly however, in the link I showed you before, GM DOES recommend TranSynd for extreme temps.. go figure.

Since you do not appear even to be able to spell DEXRON(R) I do not think that there is any point in going on with this.

Goodbye

WW

WW - I can spell Dexron. Would you explain to me the following ?

- Where was DexIIIH superior to Transynd?
- How is Transynd different from the DexIII standards and why?
- Is Transynd basically a DexIII-type fluid ?

Since you do not appear even to be able to spell DEXRON(R) I do not think that there is any point in going on with this.
Goodbye
WW

Speaking of easy outs.

Maybe he doesn't want to endlessly berate the point.

This line said it all for me: TranSynd was approved for DEXRON-III(G). When GM upgraded the spec from (G) to (H) TranSynd no longer met the more stringent requirements and therefore lost their DEXRON approval.

That speaks volumes. And as for semi synth and fully synth Dex VI formulas only lasting 10k miles... hogwash.

Credibility severely diminished.

This line said it all for me: TranSynd was approved for DEXRON-III(G). When GM upgraded the spec from (G) to (H) TranSynd no longer met the more stringent requirements and therefore lost their DEXRON approval.

so what's your source for this quote? More over, even if we grant that it didn't meet the new "changed" spec, what carries more weight the source you quote from? or Allison?

#2172061 - 02/15/11 03:52 PM Re: Does Dexron VI last 100k? [Re: PDX2500HD]

The quote was from Whitewolf. It appears the spec was revised/improved and they either no longer met it or declined to try.

As stated earlier, I'll take my full synth Valvoline Dex VI. You get to use whatever you desire and I won't lambast you about your choice.

I truly don't mean to offend, but you just keep coming on this one. Bully for you, I'm a pretty opinionated guy myself, but calling Allison (or ANYONE) is a [censored] shoot based on who you get on the phone.

And the bottom line is unless you get it in writing on company letterhead signed by a principal it is MEANINGLESS.

Last edited:

And the bottom line is unless you get it in writing on company letterhead signed by a principal it is MEANINGLESS.

I guess I don't understand you then... I thought I pointed this out more than once.. isn't this in writing and on letterhead? (it covers a lot, but look at page 2, note 2)

http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadOnDemand?ApplicationID=155&DownloadID=5

Yet you seem to want to believe a person on here who doesn't even go by his real name on an internet forum? No offense intended to Whitewolf, he might be a lot more knowledgable than me in this area, but we don't know who he is, we do however know who the above like comes from, right?

For me, it's just a matter of misinformation being set straight... like I said, you use what you want and I'll use what I want.. but many others scan these threads and don't post and might be mislead if they don't get BOTH sides of the argument.

Peace.

I'll agree that is a credible sheet, but it doesn't say why.

That's a problem for me, as it could simply be an internal mgmt. decision (corporate politics) or something else completely unrelated to the fitness of Dex III or VI.

But we'll agree that you have provided credible info, and I thank you for your passion on the subject.

Peace back at ya, man.

Thank you for your objectivity... I do agree.. there is always the "corporate" variable in much of this "Approved" stuff.. whether GM or Allison..

Back