Does Ceratec work?

"If this stuff works, LM should test and proove it" "They dont test it, because it´s snake oil!" and so on...

What if LM actuall have done a test? Have a read. Translate it from german to english with Google Translator.

Good find although I wonder how it would perform vs current formulations rather than a standard 10w40 from 2004.

Personally I get worried when I think about this stuff and its cousin MoS2 flowing through my VANOS solenoids.

Yes but a 10w40 dino oil was used in 2004 because that oil would possibly provide the greatest gains. Test it with a modern 5w30 full synthetic Euro oil and lets see.
Probably be the same result, unless the oil euro has the same hexagonal boron nitride as the stuff in Ceratec.

Probably be the same result, unless the oil euro has the same hexagonal boron nitride as the stuff in Ceratec.
Yikes (Per Wiki)

"..Hexagonal BN (h-BN) is the most widely used polymorph. It is a good lubricant at both low and high temperatures (up to 900 °C, even in an oxidizing atmosphere). h-BN lubricant is particularly useful when the electrical conductivity or chemical reactivity of graphite (alternative lubricant) would be problematic. In internal combustion engines, where graphite could be oxidized and turn into carbon sludge, h-BN with its superior thermal stability can be added to engine lubricant, however, with all nano-particles suspension, Brownian-motion settlement is a key problem and settlement can clog engine oil filters, which limits solid lubricants application in a combustion engine to only automotive race settings, where engine re-building is a common practice..."

Yikes (Per Wiki)

"..Hexagonal BN (h-BN) is the most widely used polymorph. It is a good lubricant at both low and high temperatures (up to 900 °C, even in an oxidizing atmosphere). h-BN lubricant is particularly useful when the electrical conductivity or chemical reactivity of graphite (alternative lubricant) would be problematic. In internal combustion engines, where graphite could be oxidized and turn into carbon sludge, h-BN with its superior thermal stability can be added to engine lubricant, however, with all nano-particles suspension, Brownian-motion settlement is a key problem and settlement can clog engine oil filters, which limits solid lubricants application in a combustion engine to only automotive race settings, where engine re-building is a common practice..."
that wiki article is pretty much the only time where Brownian motion settlement gets mentioned on the internet....
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just stating the fact /

edit: looks like it's a quote from this site here: https://www.atamanchemicals.com/boron-nitride_u26248/
so there might be some truth to it.

Last edited:
Thats is all the settlemnt of Ceratec i found in the oil pan after 4 years of using Ceratec: Zero.
Engine was warm, Oil drained, Oil pan dropped. I did not have wipped it clean, as you can see.

Attachments

• P1070016(1).JPG
    P1070016(1).JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 363
Thats is all the settlemnt of Ceratec i found in the oil pan after 4 years of using Ceratec: Zero.
Engine was warm, Oil drained, Oil pan dropped. I did not have wipped it clean, as you can see.
Tanyuchem.com :"The particle size of hexagonal boron nitride is 1-30 μm. The particle size is smaller and the crystallinity is higher."

Do you think the naked eye can discern solids in an oil on the size of 1-30u?

Reactions: a5m
Exactly. It settles out on the bottom of a oil bottle after some months, that´s true. You have to shake the bottle.
But the oil pan is from my convertible wich is winterized from November to April and is used as weekend driver. It often rests for weeks.
Therefore, in this car Ceratec had a lot of time to settle out and form deposits at the oil pan. Wich it does not as you see.
If it settles out, it looks like it mixes perfectly again with the engine oil after you start the engine.

Saying this, at the moment i am using a different oil and have stoped using Ceratec.

Yikes (Per Wiki)

graphite oxidizes at 800°C and forms CO2 then or stays graphite.

How does an oil filter trap 1 micron particles exactly?

Back