Does anyone use Castrol 0w30 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Back in the days of GC 0w30 it was quite popular here, and even with the reformulation from the green formula to the gold formula it still had quite a few users on here but I'm curious as to how many people still use it these days? Castrol's website is terrible for finding out technical data on their oils so I don't even know what the specs are on the latest version or what certfications it has. Does anyone know this info? Is it still formulated on the thick side of the 30 weight range? Is production of this oil now in the US or is in Europe?

I would consider using it if I could find it.

Well that and, if my stash wasn't so huge
laugh.gif

It is so very hard to find as compared to other oils... Only Pep Boys has it in stock around me. .

I bet it is still a great product. Castrol don't make no junk oils. As evidenced by Castrol Magnetec and the great UOAs it has on here routinely.

Ohh and I hope you are doing good. Always good to see you on here. And I may well see some snow later tonight... But it will not be too bad around my area. Just north and west it will be rather rough until 11 am tomorrow am.

Last edited:
I have one quart left
frown.gif

Every now and then I check AAP to see if they have it on sale for $5.50 a quart. No luck in the past year.

Amazon has it for ~$8 a quart occasionally.

My Hyundai manufacturer frowns on using 0W30 oils. It appears to be D.I. related. Since 50% of all vehicles now are direct inject, will more owners manuals follow suit ... and could this be the reason for the slow-but-sure disappearance of 0w30 oils from major stores?

I use castrol edge 0w-30, but the c3 version. Made for newer Bmw and MB cars. Can even be used in newer bmw M cars.

I run it occasionally. I still have 15 or so quarts left. It's good winter oil for the Hondas. I used to run it in my wife's Forester all the time.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My Hyundai manufacturer frowns on using 0W30 oils. It appears to be D.I. related. Since 50% of all vehicles now are direct inject, will more owners manuals follow suit ... and could this be the reason for the slow-but-sure disappearance of 0w30 oils from major stores?

That's interesting... What do they say?

That doesn't even make sense.....What would a 0w30 weight exacerbate in a DI engine??

Edge 0w-30 A3/B4

The PDS wasn't hard to find the oil is. I have one bottle left from AZ clearance 2 or 3 years ago. Haven't seen it since. I believe it's made in Belgium now. Largely replaced by the 0w-40 version which is basically the same oil.

Originally Posted by StevieC

When different weights of oils are outlined in the owners manual. 0W30 and 0W20 are omitted. Nothing 40w exists anywhere.
What's stated is the use of 5w20 - 5w30 - 10w30

I see I used the word manufacturer above. Intended word was Dealer and most specifically both the salesman and service tech mentions of not to use 0W oils, mainly because they are not listed in the manual for my 2.4 D.I.
The Hyundai manufacturer might allow 0W's in other engines of theirs..... I dunno.

Last edited:
It is.
What 30W motor, where 0W is not present in the manual, is it not related to?

.... which makes me curious.
What non D.I. Hyundai motor does not allow 0W20 or OW30? Do any exist for 2018 or 2019?

Last edited:
I wouldn't know what it is related to without any other information. Oil recommendations in the owner's manual are about the most anachronistic and outdated sections in the manual. Sometimes I'm not sure you can draw any conclusions from their recommendations at all.

Originally Posted by StevieC

When different weights of oils are outlined in the owners manual. 0W30 and 0W20 are omitted. Nothing 40w exists anywhere.
What's stated is the use of 5w20 - 5w30 - 10w30

I see I used the word manufacturer above. Intended word was Dealer and most specifically both the salesman and service tech mentions of not to use 0W oils, mainly because they are not listed in the manual for my 2.4 D.I.
The Hyundai manufacturer might allow 0W's in other engines of theirs..... I dunno.

My Caravan lists the same in the manual yet they use the same engine in the Pacifica which has 0w20 stamped on its caps and mine has 5w20.

As for salesman/techs these are usually some of the most ignorant people when it comes to what the numbers on oil bottles mean. Mobil 1 puts on their jugs of 0wXX that it can be used in all applications requiring a 5wXX so that should be proof enough devoid of all the discussions here. XOM is huge and wouldn't screw around if it couldn't be used in some circumstances they would surely list it like in the case of DI.

My Highlander called for 0w20 and said that I could use 5w20 if it wasn't available, but I had to change to 0w20 at the next oil change.
I assume it's because they want to ensure a synthetic is used because of higher oil temperatures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LotI
Edge 0w-30 A3/B4

The PDS wasn't hard to find the oil is. I have one bottle left from AZ clearance 2 or 3 years ago. Haven't seen it since. I believe it's made in Belgium now. Largely replaced by the 0w-40 version which is basically the same oil.

Thank you for posting that link! I had a heck of a time trying to find any info from the Castrol site.

It still looks to be a fairly impressive oil, HTHS of 3.5, Noack of 8.3%, 12.18 cst at 100c, and still has the BMW Longlife01, MB229.3/229.5, and VW 502 00 and 505 00 certifications. It's still only API SL, so that might turn a lot of people off though. I'm glad to hear they didn't revert back to a watered down US version of their 0w30 that some will remember existed before the German version.

It's still very easy to find in Canada too, Canadian Tire keeps a decent stock of it all the time. Still only sold in 1L bottles though, so that makes the 0w40 a much better deal since it's sold in the 5L jugs and goes on sale very often (every 4-6 weeks)

This is the same company pushing 1980's oil change intervals and not using an OLM? I certainly wouldn't use the absence of 0w-30 in one of their documents as a barometer for where other OEM's are headed.

I'd also love you to cite something even remotely credible that supports your "slow-but-sure disappearance of 0w-30 oils from major stores" claim
smirk.gif

The list of currently available 0w-30's has remained somewhat static, neither expanding or contracting much. It's a reasonably common Euro grade, but then so is 0w-40. These are of course in predominantly DI applications as well.

Currently available 0w-30's:
Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30
Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w-30
Castrol Edge Professional Long Life (VW) 0w-30
Castrol Edge Professional E (Jaguar) 0w-30
Castrol Edge A3/B4 (OP product) 0w-30
Ravenol ALS 0w-30
Ravenol SSV 0w-30
Ravenol SSO 0w-30
Redline 0w-30
AMSOIL 0w-30
Amalie Elixir 0w-30
Liqui Moly Longtime 0w-30
Motul Eco-nergy 0w-30
Motul X-Lite 0w-30
Lucas Synthetic 0w-30

And of course up in Canada we have a few others made by Petro-Canada, Esso...etc. Europe has an even broader cross-section of offerings.

Triple, omission of a specific winter rating is highly unlikely to fly if there were a warranty claim. If the manufacturer specifies a 30wt oil, ANY 30 weight oil is in the same given range at operating temperature.

It's just like Subaru manuals for N/A models stating use 0W20, or 5W30. You're trying to tell me there's any difference between a 0W20 and a 5W20 that can cause an engine to fail BECAUSE of a 5W rating that would withstand a M-M warranty claim?

Whatever is on sale at WM my old lead sled 2005 Buick LeSabre, 14 years old and still turning,,X my fingers..

I still have 5 quarts of it that I bought from Pep Boys during last year's Founders Day sale (the run it in late February each year), $20 for 5 quarts and a filter after rebate.

It is still made in Belgium and a thicker 30 (an A3/B4 oil must have HTHS at least 3.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back