Does anyone else reuse charcoal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Weber Kettle grill, and when I am done grilling I close the vents and let the charcoal go out. When I am ready to grill again, the used charcoal goes in the bottom of my chimney starter, and fresh charcoal goes on top. I find I can get at least 2 grilling sessions out of most of the charcoal. We do a lot of grilling, so this helps stretch the charcoal dollar. Not sure if anyone else does this, I have a friend that told me about this a few years ago. It also helps when the charcoal goes on sale around Memorial Day. I stocked up this week.
49.gif

I've done that before as well. If it is unburned, why not? Refresh with a few new briquets and fire it up.

Just thinking about this makes me hungry. We grilled up some marinated pork last night. I like that charcoal smell and taste! Pork is my favorite grilled food!

You can relight natural lump charcoal. I do it all the time. I'll cover the grill and close the vents, extinguishing the charcoal and reuse it. Briquettes are harder to reuse. Another thing about lump charcoal is that it produces a lot less ash than briquettes.
Royal Oak Natural Lump is my go to charcoal.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yes, unburied charcoal gets reused. The ash goes on the roses.

+1 Keeps the deer off the shrubs as well.

Why not?
I do exactly the same with my Weber grill.
This does save a little charcoal, which does seem to get more costly every year.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You can relight natural lump charcoal. I do it all the time. I'll cover the grill and close the vents, extinguishing the charcoal and reuse it. Briquettes are harder to reuse. Another thing about lump charcoal is that it produces a lot less ash than briquettes.
Royal Oak Natural Lump is my go to charcoal.

+1 works for me for years.Except I don't cover the grill till it's cool.
cool.gif

Last edited:
+1 I drop the fire grate to the bottom so it's sitting on a bed of ash and spread the bricketes (sp?) out in a single layer, then close the vents. They quickly extinguish and I add them to the chimney next time.

Works great!

Originally Posted By: oppirs
All the time. Even add in maple/oak chips from wood splitting. Later add the soaked hickory or apple.

Do it all the time and add some pecan wood which I have in abundance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back