Does anyone actually check the fluid level in their rear differential?

I guess this is more a question for drivers of trucks. My son and his buddies were doing the rear drum brakes in the 2011 Silverado half ton he bought used. There was diff lube on the brake pads on one side. I asked him to pull the rear diff fill-plug and fill it. It was quart low. Not sure how the previous owner did not notice. The oil would have been leaking down on the inside of the tire. The axle seal is leaking so we will unbolt the back of the diff, undo the bolt and pull the C-clips, pull the axle, and inspect it. We’ll go from there, depending on pitting on the axle. Comments? Thanks.

Not until I just installed this ARB nodular iron differential cover a couple weeks ago. It has a dip stick, so it will be easy.
OUZjMmf.jpg

Why doesn't every diff have a drain plug?

I changed my diff oil recently. Subaru provides a dipstick for the front diff, and the rear diff has a horizontal fill plug

I check it when I buy a vehicle (and depending on mileage, change it), and then after that only if there is a leak.
My '02 F150 has a leaking pinion seal (already replaced once) and I check it every few thousand miles, have not had to top it up yet.

In the late 1960's I worked at a Mobil station after school and weekends.
People used to come in and have me check the rear fluid level.

On a modern vehicle I'd say almost none check the fluid level. You are either anal like most of us and change the fluid early enough to not get a leak or living the lifelong theory and unless it's dripping don't care.

All depends upon how long you are keeping your ride.

After I change the fluid I usually go back and check it the next day and then again a few weeks later but after I feel comfortable there is no leak I only wipe a finger over the seam at oil changes to check for weeping.

I check ALL fluids at every oil change. When I was in high school our automotive technology class ran a live shop. It was part of the multipoint inspection we did on a LOF so it’s been a habit ever since. I’ll say that its appreciated in fleet maintenance.

I check the diff. once a year.
Depending on the mileage, I would consider doing the seal on the other axle as long as you have the cover off.

Every oil change. While the engine oil is draining, check carefully for leaks, unscrew the fill plug and take a look...

Last edited:
Had a 2003 F150 that developed a rear axle seal leak. Backed it into the garage and tore into the rear differential to remove the "C" clip in order to pull the axle. Never gave it a thought at the time, but when I pulled the axle I was lucky and had about 1 inch to spare otherwise the axle would have hit the wall and not come out!

Make sure to have enough room from any walls, etc to remove the long axle!!!!!

I never thought this was necessary until my '05 Sport Trac reached 70,000 miles. I pulled the cover, and got less than a quart of oil out. The outside of the axle was dry, end-to-end, which tells me Ford under-filled it at the factory, or the oil magically evaporated. I don't check them once I've filled them, but I may start checking them when purchased new.

My Pilot requires 30k mile rear diff servicing, which is short enough for me not to check it otherwise. I do pop my head under the car sometimes to make sure nothing is obviously leaking, though.

Not really. I just change every 36k or so. Gives peace of mind. If I saw leaking or heard an indication, I certainly would.

Back