Simple Rear Diff Fluid Change - LubeLocker Gasket?

I need to do a rear differential fluid change on my Ford 8.8.

I am using a Lube Locker gasket, and like it very much, simple, easy, no wait to set up like RTV, and no leaks.

A friend suggested that since I am using a gasket, and since I am only doing a fluid change, and since the differential cover does not have a drain, that I do the following (after making sure the fill plug comes out!):

1) Loosen all 10 bolts about half way, but do not remove.

2) Carefully break the seal at the bottom of the diff, and let the old fluid drain out.

3) Retighten all bolts in a star pattern, going to half torque spec first, and then again to full torque.

4) Fill it up through the fill hole and go!

Granted I would not get to inspect the inside, but my friend claims that for a quick and easy fluid change with a reusable gasket, the above is all you need.

Besides the chance of a leak, and the inability to inspect, does anyone see a problem with this... I know it is "quick and dirty", and will not get out 100% of the old fluid, but for a quick fluid change for a diff without the drain, or as a field expedient, would you do it?

Thanks

Be careful. Don't tear the gasket. All I ever did was a drain and fill. Only diff cover I ever replaced was one that had a hole rusted in it. All I ever inspected was to check the lube level through the fill hole. Unless the diff makes noise (usally due to low lube level) why would you "inspect" it?

Any change is better than no change but I have found allot of metal stuck to the magnet in mine. My Dodge limited slip has been know to break clips that eventually would tear things up so I take the cover off and clean for inspection. The worst part of the diff change is the mess and you get that either way. Except for scraping the gasket there is not much time savings.

I prefer to clean any metal out of the bottom of the housing.
So my vote is take it off. But any change is better than none.

Just watch for leaks to make sure there is no gasket tear , or metal chip on the gasket that you cannot see.

Your breaking the seal totally either way, may as well inspect it...
In a perfect world yes, but if I take the cover off then I have to keep track of the bolts and which of 10 holes from which they came...

Side question... is it really important that each bolt go back in its specific hole... I have seen people actually draw the diff on cardboard and number and punch the bolt through its numbered hole to ensure it goes back in the same hole... is this overkill?

Then I have to clean off and re-orient the gasket, then I need to put the whole thing back together making sure the gasket stays aligned... it just seems like a pain for a simple fluid change...

By keeping the cover on and all bolts engaged, there is nothing to remove, replace, lose, or realign... as I get older, I appreciate convenience more and more... since most diffs rarely get changed, isn't this better than nothing?

Jeez, how often do you service that diff?
If you are worried about bolt placement, get a piece of cardboard and poke holes in it.

Good luck and have fun with it.

In a perfect world yes, but if I take the cover off then I have to keep track of the bolts and which of 10 holes from which they came...

Side question... is it really important that each bolt go back in its specific hole... I have seen people actually draw the diff on cardboard and number and punch the bolt through its numbered hole to ensure it goes back in the same hole... is this overkill?

Then I have to clean off and re-orient the gasket, then I need to put the whole thing back together making sure the gasket stays aligned... it just seems like a pain for a simple fluid change...

By keeping the cover on and all bolts engaged, there is nothing to remove, replace, lose, or realign... as I get older, I appreciate convenience more and more... since most diffs rarely get changed, isn't this better than nothing?
Yes, overkill. All 10 cover bolts on a Ford 8.8 are identical.

FYI there is a torque sequence and spec for the cover. This photo isn't the greatest. 5 is outside to the left relief, 6 is outside of the right relief when looking at the cover from the rear of the car, 7 is bottom.

Torque_Sequence.jpg

Usually its one or two bolts if any that are different, so not to hard to keep track of. If they are the same it doesn't matter where they go, just tighten then in a criss-cross etc.

Taking off the gasket to clean is easy, just wipe it with a clean cloth when off?! If you just loosen the bolts and let it drain, who knows what kind of junk will be trapped in between the surfaces.

If you appreciate convenience more, do as others have said and get a drain valve or cover with a drain plug...

Its better, but the caveat is If anything like a metal chip sticks to the gasket , it may not seal. It could slow leak and I'd you don't catch it, run low and ruin an otherwise good diff.

Spend another few minutes take off the differential cover clean and inspect it. As mentioned the gasket is reusable so no need for a new gasket, unless it gets damaged somehow.

Also on the 8.8, all of the bolts are the same. I my personal vehicles, I run a thread chaser through the holes in the diff and blast them with brake cleaner to make sure the bolts go in alright. Probably not an issue when using a gasket, but a lot of times I find chunks of RTV in the bolt holes.

I really like the LubeLocker gasket... a lot.

Here is an alternate course of action:

Also on the 8.8, all of the bolts are the same. I my personal vehicles, I run a thread chaser through the holes in the diff and blast them with brake cleaner to make sure the bolts go in alright. Probably not an issue when using a gasket, but a lot of times I find chunks of RTV in the bolt holes.
I vote thread chaser

I need to do a rear differential fluid change on my Ford 8.8.

I am using a Lube Locker gasket, and like it very much, simple, easy, no wait to set up like RTV, and no leaks.

A friend suggested that since I am using a gasket, and since I am only doing a fluid change, and since the differential cover does not have a drain, that I do the following (after making sure the fill plug comes out!):

1) Loosen all 10 bolts about half way, but do not remove.

2) Carefully break the seal at the bottom of the diff, and let the old fluid drain out.

3) Retighten all bolts in a star pattern, going to half torque spec first, and then again to full torque.

4) Fill it up through the fill hole and go!

Granted I would not get to inspect the inside, but my friend claims that for a quick and easy fluid change with a reusable gasket, the above is all you need.

Besides the chance of a leak, and the inability to inspect, does anyone see a problem with this... I know it is "quick and dirty", and will not get out 100% of the old fluid, but for a quick fluid change for a diff without the drain, or as a field expedient, would you do it?

Thanks
I would drive the diff to get it warm, and drain it and remove the cover. clean the cover with brake fluid, wipe out the bottom of the diff. Clean the mating surfaces of the gasket, clean the gasket, re-install.

I don't like to have any oil on the sealing surfaces at all. I have seen a few leak that way. Is it necessary? Probably not. Your advised method should work just fine. I am anal retentive, and have OCD. So yeah, I go crazy with this shi*. That gasket has a very long service life. I've never changed the gasket on my transmission oil pan, or the diff cover.

Make sure you get the oil in your hair! Chicks love that smell.

Back