Does anyone actually check the fluid level in their rear differential?

If there are no leaks, the fluid level will be exactly the same as the last time it was filled. BMW fill/drain plugs are single use, would get expensive replacing them all just to check level.

Every 3 years when I add LS additive to the Ram in signature. Have been driving less then 3000 miles on it annually for multiple years now. No, leaks and probably could go 4 or 5 years from here on out.

My pinion seal started leaking one day, then it stopped and that was like 3 years ago. Lol dirt must have stopped it from weeping.

Sure. Every 30k miles when I drain and fill.

The only way to loose diff fluid is through a leak. I am one that is aware of the condition of my car, and would notice a leak. So, except for drain and fill, no, I don't actually pull the plugs and check level. It doesn't seem like there is any reason to.

Sure. Every 30k miles when I drain and fill.

The only way to loose diff fluid is through a leak. I am one that is aware of the condition of my car, and would notice a leak. So, except for drain and fill, no, I don't actually pull the plugs and check level. It doesn't seem like there is any reason to.
The leak path some people miss is down the inside of the rear tire as it leaks at the wheel bearing, but yes, it makes a mess on the tire and if you are parked in the garage, it makes a mess on the garage floor if it leaks fast enough. :)

My mechanic checked mine a few weeks ago. He road tested it too. It was fine and didn’t need more fluid so he didn’t charge me anything. That’s why I like my mechanic.

Back