Dodge La-318 under valve cover Pix

Status
Not open for further replies.
20170610_170426_zps17k3vdpv.jpg

20170610_170401_zpstvkfuk1h.jpg

Crankcase breather is on the other side of that baffle on passenger side valve cover. I think I used rubberized felt Victor Reinz VC gaskets last time. I used Felpro this time and hope to not smell burning oil again.

This 214.5K engine ( rebuilt @172K) has been using circulating M1, 10w-40HM, M1 TDT 5w-40, M1 AFE 0w-30 and M1 0w-40 SN since about 185K miles. Previous to that was castrol or valvoline conventional 10w-40.

Since 172K miles, oil Filters have been Wix 1515, Puro classic 30001, M1-301. Motorcraft FL-1A. The several Puro classics and Motorcraft did not tear.

Oil changes are ~ yearly, or in this case about 18 Months. Mileage under 2K this OCI, Climate is mild, all trips have been very short trip driving with a very rare longer freeway driving. There was a half can of lubromoly Mos2 in this latest batch.

A few years back Blackstone found low levels of Potassium and sodium in a sample of 0w-40. I knew I had a slight timing cover coolant leak, was hoping it was not getting into oil. So much for hope.

Never fixed it properly, Bars leak gingerroot tabs stopped coolant from reaching asphalt. Yesterday, drained coolant, pulled WP bolts that penetrate water jacket one at a time, cleaned old rtv and corrosion from them.

20170608_154600_zpsv6otn38e.jpg

I used permatex aircraft form a gasket on threads, and re installed them, waited 24 hours then refilled coolant. No visible coolant leaks. Yet.

I have not yet pulled driver's side valve cover. Tomorrow.

I will change oil after replacement. I will be using use a Fram Ultra XG-8A and M1 0w-40 again, removing a low mileage 15 month old M1-301. Expect pics of its internals.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
What is it in?

+1, that chrome grille in the last pic has me guessing lol.

Had that motor in an old PowerWagon - and a spare motor (had started to build/port/polish but sold all) and put the other valve cover on with breather (added intake/AFB/hedmans etc) ... worked hard & played hard with that Dodge ...

From one of the OP's previous posts in Jan 2016 - "The engine is a TBI LA 318 in a Full size Dodge Van. It was rebuilt, to a questionable standard/quality, 40K miles ago, at 172k miles. Oil consumption and loss of MPG inspired the rebuild at that date. Besides valve stem seals and a cracked head it was otherwise in good condition for the age/mileage.

It runs very smoothly, currently passes California smog tests with excellent numbers, and gets the expected MPGs."

From Wiki - "The LA engines are a family of pushrod OHV 90° V-configured gasoline engines built by Chrysler Corporation. It was factory-installed in passenger vehicles, trucks and vans, commercial vehicles, marine and industrial applications from 1964 through 2003. The combustion chambers are wedge-shaped, rather than the polyspherical combustion chambers in the predecessor A engine or the hemispherical chambers in the Chrysler Hemi engine. All versions are made of cast iron, except for the Viper V10 which is aluminum. LA engines have the same 4.46-inch (113 mm) bore spacing as the A engines.

LA engines were made at Chrysler's Mound Road Engine plant in Detroit, Michigan, as well as plants in Canada and Mexico. The "LA" stands for "Light A", as the older "A" engine it was closely based on was nearly 50 pounds heavier.[1] Willem Weertman, who later became Chief Engineer – Engine Design and Development, was in charge of the conversion.[2] The basic design of the LA engine would go unchanged through the development of the "Magnum" upgrade (1992-'93) and into the 21st Century, although the finer details were changed to create a more powerful, efficient, and modern powerplant.[1]"

The valve stems had a propensity to leak over time - but not hard to change them ...
Drove mine for 17 years and sold to a rancher who took the plates off and worked it some more
wink.gif

I know of a paraplegic rancher who had a 318 in his 85 or 86 Dodge wheelchair van. He drove that thing all over to cattle auctions. He put 500,000 miles on it with no major problems.

Many 318's are out there,,,never was real strong in horsepower, but a reliable workhorse in the long run, at least back in the 60s...but I'm still doing strong since 1946, let's have a suds for the parents of WW2...

I had that engine bolted to a 727 TorqueFlite transmission in a 72 Plymouth Satellite, nice combo.

Had several 318's with 360 heads in Diplomats and Gran Fury's throughout the years... Virtually indestructible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back