Dodge Hellcat oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
(Sorry if already covered... i saw a previous review but no acutual oil spec advised)

Link to story
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/dodge/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-review-4039.html

Below excertpt was taken from the paragraph just above the 'SIX-SPEED OR EIGHT-SPEEDS' subtitle.

.....To achieve such ridiculous power, Dodge started with the SRT 392 6.4-liter V8 and gave it a complete overhaul that saw 91 percent of the engine’s components replaced. Along with the addition of a supercharger, twin intercoolers using a completely closed-loop cooling system were added. Even a special 0W-40 synthetic oil formula had to be created by Pennzoil to keep this monster well lubricated....

Nothing new. Same ole Penzoil Ultra as we've been batting around here for a while now.

Purely a business decision as Fiat is a Shell user, so of course now Chrysler is, too.

My first gen 300C SRT8 with the 6.1 has M1 0W-40 right on the filler cap. IMO a superior oil, too...

Originally Posted By: wemay
PU 0w40... old formula or GTL? I've never seen it in 0w40.

Don't feel bad, I've scarcely seen it at all! Rarest oil around, and not a very robust formulation IMO...

All I know is I'll take one.
smile.gif

It does make a lot of HP. However at the same time it is a massive engine and not as strained as the 2.0L producing 300HP in an Mits. Evo for example.

I personally think any synthetic will work and we are reading advertising bits.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Nothing new. Same ole Penzoil Ultra as we've been batting around here for a while now.

Purely a business decision as Fiat is a Shell user, so of course now Chrysler is, too.

My first gen 300C SRT8 with the 6.1 has M1 0W-40 right on the filler cap. IMO a superior oil, too...

Does this oil have some sort of Hellcat certification? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember the Shell 0w40 having an SRT cert on it at the dealer?

Yeah, very scarce indeed, and to their detriment because Mobil1 and Edge are cornering that market.

Originally Posted By: timeau
I would stick with M1 0W40.

I wouldn't. As much of a fan as I am of Mobil 1 0w-40, I'd be much more inclined to go for an oil that was (at least claimed to be) developed specifically for my application.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I wouldn't. As much of a fan as I am of Mobil 1 0w-40, I'd be much more inclined to go for an oil that was (at least claimed to be) developed specifically for my application.

And its a dubious claim at best, as the Fiat/Shell connection is pretty clear...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

What I'd do is brush up on the spec's and VOA/UOA results of the Pennzoil 0W-40 vs other oils including M1 0W-40. As an oil I do prefer M1's spec's.
Is Chrysler insisting on using Pennzoil 0W-40 during the warranty period? If they are then that answers what oil to use for some but aside from warranty requirements I'd ultimately make my oil selection based how I use the car (will I track it?) and the minimum recommended operational viscosity. That could mean using a lighter grade entirely, but that's me.

I'll take mine in auto and Sublime. I built one of my dreams, and it only came to $64.4K. Seems like a bargain compared to a new Tahoe or Lambo.
smile.gif

Yeah, very scarce indeed, and to their detriment because Mobil1 and Edge are cornering that market.

My local AutoZones in Michigan have been carrying PU 0w40 since early this year. They also have PUE 5w40 and PUP in the various flavors. They are running an oil change deal with Ultra or Platinum right now: 5 qts + Bosch Premium filter for $33. And there is a mail-in rebate to Pennzoil for $10 if you buy 5 qts.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
It does make a lot of HP. However at the same time it is a massive engine and not as strained as the 2.0L producing 300HP in an Mits. Evo for example.

I personally think any synthetic will work and we are reading advertising bits.

+1.

Anyone who buys a Hellcat and expects a warranty is ridiculous in my book. You're going to let some clown at a dealership work over your Hellcat then take it out on it's test beating? Really? This car needs to be owned by someone who knows how to spin wrenches and if you can't, you deserve what the dealership will do to you.

Warranty on a Hellcat! Pppfffttt! I'd pour M1 5W-50 in it and not give the oil another thought.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Is Chrysler insisting on using Pennzoil 0W-40 during the warranty period? If they are then that answers what oil to use for some but aside from warranty requirements I'd ultimately make my oil selection based how I use the car (will I track it?) and the minimum recommended operational viscosity. That could mean using a lighter grade entirely, but that's me.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Anyone who buys a Hellcat and expects a warranty is ridiculous in my book. You're going to let some clown at a dealership work over your Hellcat then take it out on it's test beating? Really? This car needs to be owned by someone who knows how to spin wrenches and if you can't, you deserve what the dealership will do to you.

Warranty on a Hellcat! Pppfffttt! I'd pour M1 5W-50 in it and not give the oil another thought.

I guarantee you that 90% of the folks buying arent servicing, and of those, 99% will have no problems with the dealership techs. Maybe i'm just an optimist...

Hey, it's a production car, and was subject to all the same durability tests as any other motor.

Then the ragazines start beating it...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

My local AutoZones in Michigan have been carrying PU 0w40 since early this year.

I could have sworn this was on the shelf about a year ago at some Pep Boyzz stores, replete with the SRT Approved label and all.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back