Dodge Challenger 6.4L Lifter Failure?

That's a shame because had she addressed the ticking issue earlier, the engine could have been saved. Perhaps an entire engine swap is more applicable in this particular car.
They don't necessarily tick. When our 2012 at work had a lifter pack it in at 200,000 miles, it never ticked, the lifter "chirped", which somebody else, may have been TeamZero, asked before I even said it, which leads me to believe that the chirp once they pack it in is a known symptom.

They don't necessarily tick. When our 2012 at work had a lifter pack it in at 200,000 miles, it never ticked, the lifter "chirped", which somebody else, may have been TeamZero, asked before I even said it, which leads me to believe that the chirp once they pack it in is a known symptom.
I hear you. I've read that it's not always ticking, but it does seem to mostly be it.

If you're really on your A-game though, hear an unusual engine noise, cut open the used oil filter and find some metal, maybe the engine could be saved.

I hear you. I've read that it's not always ticking, but it does seem to mostly be it.

If you're really on your A-game though, hear an unusual engine noise, cut open the used oil filter and find some metal, maybe the engine could be saved.
Yep, if you catch it early enough you can just be doing cam and lifters as @The Critic noted. Once it gets bad enough to contaminate the OCV's, you are looking at engine replacement.

Reactions: JTK
According to her, it all started on the way home one day, about a 20 mile trip. No prior noise, stumbling, screech, or tick occurred.
That sounds like our work truck. It developed a miss, randomly one day, coupled with the "chirp". It happened very quickly, and suddenly, according to the guy driving it. We ended up selling the truck and somebody I believe, put an engine in it, since it was otherwise in very good shape and was a higher trim truck with nice interior.

Because I think ultimately the "upgrade" didn't address the root of the problem, which is simply vendor QC. I'm not sure where these lifters (for both GM and FCA) are being sourced from, but clearly, they are having issues with consistent and proper hardening.

This was a real problem for Nascar back in the day....

Hendrick Motorsports lost most of the motors in one race at Talladega. It was a cam issue.... A bad batch aka poor QC.

So you nailed it with your analysis Overkill. Which is really a frequent happening on here.

This happens from manufactures always wanting to cut corners. You think they would learn from all the past bad press and warranty rework.
Cutting corners does not save you money. The always mentioned bean counters? Why haven't they learned?
Also engineering using all the fancy computer systems to design parts to a certain minimal limit, at least in the old days they would over strengthen the parts and then do extensive testing. Everything now must be just tested on a computer screen so of course it will end up being junk. And lastly trying to get parts built cheap, by using off shore manufacturing. Yup they are cheap alright.

Back