Doctor Appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
andrewg, tell us what you are going to do about this situation. You admit that the "entire system is a sham". You state that you are "tired of it" and you portray that it is creating unhealthy stress for you.

I see at least 6 alternatives, maybe others can suggest more:

- Do nothing.

- Do something:
-- Communicate with your doctors office and attempt to have them to accommodate your needs/wants.
-- Search out a doctors office that meets your needs.
-- Become proactive and pursue changes. Contact your government representatives, organize groups (power in numbers), become a lobbyist, educate others, etc..
-- Change your work style/lifestyle to better fit your needs/wants
-- Accept the current condition and attempt to make it work the best possible. Already suggested to do work or pleasure during the wait: laptop, smartphone, chill/relax, etc..

Communicated with doctors offices when late appointments occur? Done it many times. No changes. I've walked out after asking for my copay refund. Told them that my time is as important as the doctors and while a little bit late is acceptable, once past 30 minutes, it is not.

Search out doctors that meet my needs? That makes zero difference. As others have stated, most offices see you well past your appointment time. No way to tell if any particular office keeps scheduled times.

Pursue changes? That is what I am, at first, doing here with my thread. I am taking count of general opinions to see if support could be garnered. It does not appear as such. Apathy and excuses abound. Same old "doctors are so important and work too hard" syndrome. That's why TV shows about doctors are so big. People think they are almost beyond reproach.

Change my work style? Are you kidding me? I should switch my work shift...disrupt my family and homelife....because a medical facility can't keep appointments? Yeah...okay.

Accept condition? Begrudgingly, this is what I have been doing and will most likely be the end result anyway. But...I WILL make my voice heard at medical offices. I will be a PITA to them when they can't keep appointments. After all, I AM the CUSTOMER that provides THEM (the doctors that is) with a lavish lifestyle. And I do try and relax about it, but tend to fail as my appointed time slips further away.

The last time I had a very late Dr. it was because he had an emergency surgery at the hospital next door. Other than that they are usually close to on time. I have used a walk-in “urgent care” and have been seen in 20 mins with no appt.

Hmm, I guess I hadn't thought much of having to wait when I go. I just don't have anything going on afterwards I guess. And I make sure to take something with me, like a book.

Dumb question: could this just be cultural? I mean, without a show of hands, who here thinks the speed limit on the highway is the target that everyone should be moving at? or instead thinks of it as more of a suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back