Doctor Appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
45 minutes isn't that bad from my experience. Over 60 minutes and I'm walking.

I did flip out on my chiropractor years ago. Had only seen her a few times and we weren't really clicking. But I threw my back out and called her up. The office said they were closed but the Dr. could see me if I got there within 10 minutes. Sure, I live right down the street. I show up there and waited and waited. After 45 minutes I asked what was up. They told me there was another patient in front of me and the Dr. would be with me shortly. I asked them why they said I needed to be there within 10 minutes from when I called instead of an hour which was when they would be ready to see me. Then I left.

My current chiropractor told me doctors over book so that the waiting room is crowded so it looks like a busier office. Kind of like an auto repair business with just a few cars out front compared to one with a lot of cars. The one with a lot of cars looks more popular and therefore better.

I know I'm creating a poop storm but chiropractors are not doctors unless they graduated med school and fulfilled other requirements.

Originally Posted By: 555

I did flip out on my chiropractor years ago. Had only seen her a few times and we weren't really clicking. But I threw my back out and called her up. The office said they were closed but the Dr. could see me if I got there within 10 minutes. Sure, I live right down the street. I show up there and waited and waited. After 45 minutes I asked what was up. They told me there was another patient in front of me and the Dr. would be with me shortly. I asked them why they said I needed to be there within 10 minutes from when I called instead of an hour which was when they would be ready to see me. Then I left.

My current chiropractor told me doctors over book so that the waiting room is crowded so it looks like a busier office. Kind of like an auto repair business with just a few cars out front compared to one with a lot of cars. The one with a lot of cars looks more popular and therefore better.

I know I'm creating a poop storm but chiropractors are not doctors unless they graduated med school and fulfilled other requirements.

That's not quite the flaw with the analogy. If the analogy is with general healthcare's economic business model; it doesn't matter if the chiropractor is an MD or not. The economic key point of the analogy is whether the payment and arrangement is prepaid via insurance or if it's privately paid, and this is the only service you can visit without incurring additional cost.
It can also happen with a dentist or physical therapy or even an xray/mri appointment, none of these services are doctors but you are stuck with it on your plan and you have to wait .

It can also be something from the automotive world, like people being fed up waiting 4hrs for their tire shop to get their "free" lifetime tire rotations, rather than paying out of pocket at an independent shop that doesn't do "lifetime" tire rotations and getting it done on appt in 20min for the $14.95 real cost of the service.
Anyone who's bought a "groupon" knows that a lot of the time, it's going to suck trying to redeem that groupon, the money's already spent, and too many people want the same service that's already paid for.

To this poster, if you have a low barrier and ability to pick another chiropractor, then the result and outcome is on you for sticking with a chiropractor that displeases you servicewise and rewarding that behavior rather then picking another chiropractor that doesn't give you the runaround.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Also the doctors can get delayed by drug rep meetings. Blame the pharmaceutical industry for some of it.

Maybe 50 years ago that occurred.

To the OP find another practice..preferably one associated with a medical center. I can't remember this happening to me or the wife in decades. ..except for a truly rare instance or two.

I have never seen a doctor at the time of my appointment. Usually between 30 to 45 minutes after my time scheduled, no matter who I am seeing. I always take a book to read. If a doctor saw me at the actual time of my appointment, I would be so shocked he would be giving me CPR.

Unfortunately the best schedule is often broken by noon. We have this problem in our biz, too. The later in the day you book the less likely we will be on time.

No one to blame here, it's just the way people to people biz works. Most doctors are trying hard to see more patients to make some money. Their overhead is considerable, if you ran a business you would understand this issue.

You can't blame the doctors for the state of medicine in this country...

the family doctor we used to go to when i was a kid, the wait was ALWAYS over an hour.
they scheduled appointments every 15 min starting @ 8am, he didn't arrive until 9am. some appointments were within the allotted 15 min duration. some he would spend an hour jawing with the patients( i was in such an appointment with my grandfather)...

at one point my dad started calling in to see how far behind they were running(often 2 hours), and come in accordingly.

not to mention they were always mixing up our family's charts. granted, we had VERY similar names,
2 households - father, mother, son in both. my Dad is a jr, Mom & Grandma had the same first name, different Middle, and my Uncle and I have the exact same name.

so somewhat understandable, but... you would assume they could tell the difference between a 40 something and a 60 something, or a 40 something and a middle school student...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Unfortunately the best schedule is often broken by noon. We have this problem in our biz, too. The later in the day you book the less likely we will be on time.

No one to blame here, it's just the way people to people biz works. Most doctors are trying hard to see more patients to make some money. Their overhead is considerable, if you ran a business you would understand this issue.

I think you need to separate doctors from the business because your statement isn't right.

If you think that individual doctors in this situation actually want to see more patients and count each patient as a profit, then you are sorely mistaken.

They are doing it actually for the OPPOSITE reason, because there is actually no COST to the individual doctor to overprescribe or run tests, just as there is not a real tie in of cost to the patient to to their healthcare.
Because there is no tie between costs and profit to the doctor; so the doctor tends to run extra tests to be on the safe side and asks to see you back for each test and just pumps patients through. The insurance and industry responds by setting the metrics to pump patients through at a higher rate.

There are economic studies and experiments where they actually increased doctor patient time and attempted to tie cost (really the hospital's savings) as a bonus to the doctor's salary.
The end result actually was MORE patient time to figure out the right treatment in fewer visits, resulted in LESS unnecessary tests and costs, and resulted in increased healthcare results as well at a REDUCED overall cost.

If you want a reference, it was in a freakonomics podcast episode.

Last edited:
How about this? I take my 87 year old Mom to the same Dr about once every 2 months. She gets a steroid shot in the hip. We always have to wait at least, at least, 30 minutes but usually around 45 after our appt time. I got my iPad so I make my adjustments. I go to Dunkin Donuts, get gas, whatever. Knowing I can be back in plenty of time to go in the room with her as we get there around 15 minutes early.

It's about an hour drive from her house to Drs. office. One morning on our way there, it was raining so hard we had to pull over. As we are waiting for the rain to slow down, my Mom then had a very loose bowel movement. We had slowly drive to the nearest public restroom to get her cleaned up. We got to the Dr office 15 minutes late and the lady said, "You are late. I'll have to see if the Dr. will still see you."

I'm glad I was able to keep my mouth shut because I had a bunch of angry words flowing thru my brain and had several images of me doing painful things to the receptionist. So I went to my seat with my Mom and starting preparing how I was gonna handle the situation if the Dr. had said he could not see my Mom. Turns out THAT receptionist got fired before our next visit. The Dr. knew nothing about it until I told him. I'll give him credit, he fixed things.

I don't know if any of you have tried to clean up your Mother or Father who use a walker in a gas station bathroom in a downpour where most cars are just pulling over on the side of the road. It's quite an experience. It does help you have compassion on other people as they are helping their parents. No joking.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

That's not quite the flaw with the analogy. If the analogy is with general healthcare's economic business model; it doesn't matter if the chiropractor is an MD or not. The economic key point of the analogy is whether the payment and arrangement is prepaid via insurance or if it's privately paid, and this is the only service you can visit without incurring additional cost.
It can also happen with a dentist or physical therapy or even an xray/mri appointment, none of these services are doctors but you are stuck with it on your plan and you have to wait .

It can also be something from the automotive world, like people being fed up waiting 4hrs for their tire shop to get their "free" lifetime tire rotations, rather than paying out of pocket at an independent shop that doesn't do "lifetime" tire rotations and getting it done on appt in 20min for the $14.95 real cost of the service.
Anyone who's bought a "groupon" knows that a lot of the time, it's going to suck trying to redeem that groupon, the money's already spent, and too many people want the same service that's already paid for.

To this poster, if you have a low barrier and ability to pick another chiropractor, then the result and outcome is on you for sticking with a chiropractor that displeases you servicewise and rewarding that behavior rather then picking another chiropractor that doesn't give you the runaround.

Huh? I'm pointing out that some people may assume that a chiropractor when referred to as a doctor can give an assessment on one's overall health. They do provide a valuable service.
I could be wrong but I believe a dentist completes medical school.
I got off topic but saw my quote in there and maybe it was in there by mistake?

I hear you. This used to be horrible at my particular docs office. 30-45min waits were common and even when you got called back, you'd wait by yourself in the examining room. If you got sick, they'd never be able to get you in the same day to see you.

Now things have changed and it's mostly staffed with PAs and DOs. 5-10min wait with maybe another 5-10min wait in the exam room. If you do call for a sick visit, they can usually get you in within hours.

Downside? It's tough to see the same "doctor". It's not a real big issue for me. I'd often rather get other opinions and some of the PAs and DOs are fine ladies if you know what I mean. 'Lil awkward for the hernia check and prostate exam in the cold exam room at times, but what can you do.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
.......then, FINALLY, 45 darn minutes later she gets called back!!!

This needs to stop.

Shoot..... that's nothing

Huh? I'm pointing out that some people may assume that a chiropractor when referred to as a doctor can give an assessment on one's overall health. They do provide a valuable service.
I could be wrong but I believe a dentist completes medical school.
I got off topic but saw my quote in there and maybe it was in there by mistake?

I'm happy with my current chiro. Never wait more than 5 minutes.

I'm not going to debate the proper title for a chiropractor.

Correct about those free oil changes. I'm not going to wait 90 minutes for a free oil change.

Every time I see a doctor I wait way past my appointment time. They intentionally overbook, time is money, and my time means nothing to a doctor.

its not that the doctors are gods, they are getting behind schedule. They are getting behind schedule partially because some insurance or administrator has specified they should be seeing like 10patients per hour so should only slot 6mins per patient, for which they dont feel is enough time to properly practice medicine.
If you put yourself in their shoes you can see why they seemingly don't care about being late when they're helping someone else who needs more thn the 6min cause they might be sicker.
If you're well enough that you literally are walking out, obviously you are not that sick. They aren't really scrounging to get your 10 out of 10 on the customwr feedback form or to see you every 6mo for a service like a car dealership.

If you were paying fully out of pocket for the cost of a doctor at concierge or private doctor that doesn't have to deal with insurance or hmo, I bet you will not have this issue.

Don't hate the doctors, hate the game. Your option is to schedule your appointments first thing early in the morning before they get behind.

So because you fell that I am "obviously you are not that sick"....I should not make appointments for preventive care or have health concerns addressed (before they become an issue) at my appointed time?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Have to ask, did you just notice this? I can remember my mother being unhappy about it 50 years ago. Gotta stop? Right.

The problem with walking out mad is you've already invested that time in that appointment so you have to do it all over again. As you said it didn't bother the staff so what do you gain?

Agree with early appointments. You get to be the one to start the back-up!

No....I didn't just notice it. But I am getting tired after years of dealing with it. I don't understand why so many people put up with it. Regardless of all of us needing medical care now and again....if we all decided that being seen WAY past our SCHEDULED appointment time was worth making a big stink....perhaps things might change a bit? Why is it that so many of us feel that we need to make excuses for the doctors/staff that run this way? Overbooking so that they can make more money? That's not MY problem....if I have an appointment I expect THEM to keep it. Don't you? At least within a reasonable amount of time that you are REQUIRED to be there OR pay a no-show fee.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I'm sorry, but I don't have to RUN a darn business to understand that my appointment time is MY appointment time and that any delay with that SHOULD require compensation or at the very least a PROFUSE apology. I don't care if a doctor has difficulty earning enough money to pay for his expensive car or sail boat....or that trip he takes for a month three times a year to Europe. Not my problem.
There is people to blame...overbooking (blame on the office staff and doctors policies regarding subject)......no apologies or compensation to the patient for being late (once again, doctors office policy regarding patient relationship).

It's odd, but once people go to a doctors office...they treat the entire experience like the doctor and his/her time is more important than the patient. Even when you get in to see them (late...always), a nurse or medical assistant takes all the questions, symptoms, vitals....etc. and THEN, after sitting for even MORE time, the doctor comes in and rushes to help you and spends about three minutes with you IF you are lucky.

I thought the U.S. has the best medical care in the world, right?

As I stated in my post, If doctors really did have the power to they would have it the other way. You are getting angry at people who are generally on your side.

@andrewg
you misunderstand my point. You can feel however you want my point was about your expectations about what the doctors should feel and how they seemed blase about your inconvenience.
Its not them taking a break or profitting from uou sitting.
from their perspective they are helping some other sick person who as you admit are sicker than you.
In their hierarchy of priorities, your inconvience is traded off.
They sleep completely fine at night knowing they chose to help the sicker person and backed up the schedule.
If you think they should feel guilty and bow their head to give you 1000 apologies because the prior patients needed more than 6min that's not going to happen in our general insurance based health system.

Last edited:
@andrewg
you misunderstand my point. You can feel however you want my point was about your expectations about what the doctors should feel and how they seemed blase about your inconvenience.
Its not them taking a break or profitting from uou sitting.
from their perspective they are helping some other sick person who as you admit are sicker than you.
In their hierarchy of priorities, your inconvience is traded off.
They sleep completely fine at night knowing they chose to help the sicker person and backed up the schedule.
If you think they should feel guilty and bow their head to give you 1000 apologies because the prior patients needed more than 6min that's not going to happen in our general insurance based health system.

If an individual needs prioritized care, then ought they not go to a hospital emergency facility or urgent care clinic? I am talking about scheduled doctor appointments....not sudden visits where I'm about to have a heart attack.
It seems to me that you don't understand the concept of scheduling and/or customer/patient care. And simply because I, or others, may not be exhibiting dire physical symptoms.....does not mean that my visit is not equally important.
Urgent medical care needs to be done at a hospital....not a doctors office where they squeeze somebody in before others that have sometimes scheduled appointments weeks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back