Doc thinks I blew out my knee!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a pretty bad fall a few weeks ago and my knee has been feeling rough ever since. I've been hobbling and icing to no avail. I finally got in to see an orthopedic surgeon this morning and he put me through some lovely painful manipulations and quick pops of the knee. He said that I have most likely blown my ACL, MCL and toasted my lateral meniscus! Gotta go in for an MRI for confirmation, but it isn't looking good guys. Has anyone here had a recent knee reconstruction? If so how long were you crutched up? I had my shoulder reconstructed 15 years ago and I still remember all the pain and therapy. I hope that surgical techniques and rehab have gotten better since then.

Dunno about reconstruction, my dad had knee replacement and maybe for the first 2-3 weeks he was in light pain, but due to inflammation/burning sensation in the knee. Afterward it got better, but either way you need to really follow physical therapy and do the exercises to make it a bit easier on you.

You might be out for a month or more depending on how well / fast you recover. Dr's don't typically want you out and about after knee surgery until they give their ok. I hope all goes well for you and wish you the best in this endeavor. In the end its to help you and make you better so its all worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I figured that I was going to be laid up for about a month or so. I tell you what it certainly can't be worse than hobbling around on it while it buckles!

Never had any ACL issues that I'm aware of. I hyper-extended my knee and tore and fragmented my meniscus. The doctor just removed it. Took what looked like a die grinder (in the screen image) and just ground it out. It's a high friction joint ..but no pain. Rough walking up stairs ..but walking is easy enough. Virtually no recovery time from that. I'll never run again due to the slack and joint pounding. Swimming can give you some jolts too. Not pain ..but the sensation of bone on bone bongos with some odd angling to the tendons.

Gary when's Amsoil coming out with that injectable knee lubricant??? Get Al cracking on that one for me will you LOL. You gotta love seeing power tools in the hand of your surgeon. My goal is to still be able to hike and bike after all this is done. I'm not a runner so I won't miss that at all.

I always thought a Teflon insert would have been something for them to work on. Epoxy it in place. Replace as needed. Hot injection molding, maybe.
shocked2.gif

We used to have injectable Teflon packing for some of our pumps. It would go through a Zerk fitting. That might do it. The body can tolerate Teflon well ...or so the legions of worn away pans that have passed through my home would indicate.

It could replace the oil can for "men of metal" (silver in hair-silver in teeth- Pb in their behind)

LOL!!!! I here yah I've probably eat a pound of teflon in my lifetime. If they were going to be putting teflon in my knee I'd make sure that the surgeon either used gorilla glue or JB Weld...they last!

Can't help you much other than wish you well (and yes pray for you!). Get that sucker healed. (maybe dropping weight off the frame will help, but you didn't want to hear that now.)

Get well SOON!

Thanks Pabs! Thankfully I just dropped 14lbs before I got all messed up...though I could definitely stand to lose more. During the prep and cut phase of this ordeal I'm going to practice some Atkins so I don't bloat while sitting on my behind eating drugs and pounding away on the laptop.

That's good...you are reading Longfellow these days huh Pabs? Not being able to lift weights is going to be a real bummer. Squats and deadlifts were my 2 favorite lower body exercises. Getting older sucks!

pickled, a couple of workmates had reconstructions 10-13 years ago.

They were off work for about 3 weeks, and had crutches for maybe the first week of that...when they woke up, they were already on a traction machine, bending and stretching their knee.

Former boss had a full replacement a few months ago...off work for 2 weeks, and used a cane for about 6.

Thanks Shannow that sounds very encouraging. Hopefully I'll be good to go soon...I just remember when I woke up after my shoulder was redone how bad that sucker hurt before they hit me with some demerol! They didn't believe in traction machines for the shoulder, but the first day of physical therapy 5 weeks later (i.e. forced stretching) nearly made me vomit!

Yeah, should have added that one of the first knee guys also had a shoulder done (they are both field jockey players).

He reckoned that the knee was sooo much better than the shoulder.

The guy we use (better half had a cartilage trim and general tidy up) drives a Porsche, with number plates kn33...get down here if you can, he's on retainer to all of the football teams.

Nice....those docs gotta love the cashflow generated when spectators come to watch their patience play and get totally flogged! I wonder what it would cost me to have this done somewhere else like Oz? I'm thinking it will be about a $30k ticket just for the operation here in the US.

When the better half had her arthroscope, cartilage trimmed, and whatnot, it was a day surgery, and cost us $5k (a little more than a US case of beer given the exchange rate at the time)....physio ended up about another grand.

Throw in a couple nights in a hospital, at $1,000/night for private, a more complex procedure...$15k would probably pull you up if paid with the credit card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back