Knee injury questions

I've had some knee issues and went for physio and they had some stories of people having torn knee ligaments without knowing it, and living athletic lives.
Also one of the other ski team Dad's used to ski very carefully and slowly for years with a brace after a similar knee injury. In the last couple years during COVID he went to a new physio therapist who got him to work on really strengthening his legs and specific muscles around his knee, and now he is skiing much better with no knee brace at all. And he is in his early 50's, so I think there's lots of hope to get someone young back to a normal active persons level for life. Maybe not at a varsity college level, but there's lots of pro athletes that compete at the highest levels coming back from severe knee injuries too.

Even one of my livestock guard dogs somehow did a complete ACL tear on his back leg, so we went to vet who could move and clunk the knee in ways that aren't good.
They outlined 3 options,
do nothing with some anti inflammatorys to help for pain,
a $2-3k knee brace that required multiple trips to the big city,
or $5k+ knee surgery

This is a $500 dog that needed sedation to get him inside the vets office, so multiple trips to a big city were never really an option anyways, so we did the do nothing option and 2 months later he's running around like nothing happened....

Last edited:
I've had some knee issues and went for physio and they had some stories of people having torn knee ligaments without knowing it, and living athletic lives.

You can absolutely live with a torn ACL, but it takes some doing in terms of leg/knee strength training such that muscle mass in the knee can pick of the slack of the ligament not being there. It's a combination of that and wearing a brace.

I had little lateral stability without mine.

Back