Do you warn drivers of a speed trap with your headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Traction
I'll flash when someone is doing something really stupid, like 45+ in a residential zone, blowing off stop signs, etc. Driving an ex-cop Tahoe, I see some people pay attention, and check up, but still see plenty of idiots behind the wheel, that wouldn't even notice a police car with it's light on, which I don't have, but sometimes wish I did.

The last time I got pulled over, and ticketed was for 70 in a 45, 28 years ago in a new 1990 Camry. Still push it, but with plenty of caution, and defensive driving. Way too many cars are out there on the road, "Where the engine is running, but there is nobody behind the wheel!"

Last edited:
Nope. Doesn't bother me if someone else gets a ticket.

Rare to see static speed checks here anyway, most of the police cars and bikes are fitted with radar and just stay mobile.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I used to. I don't anymore. There's no camaraderie anymore.

I think, like a lot of things, like mentioned, many don't even know about it.

I told my son, who had no idea, as my Father did to me when I first started seeing him do it.

Like many of the reasons listed here, many don't care anymore or they want people to get caught? Times have definitely changed!

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Not when the LEO is sitting in a school or construction zone.
On the open road? EVERY time!

+1

Yes.

Because the police are way too focused on speed, and completely let go or never pursue 1000 other offenses responsible for death on the road.

If the police are not going to do a complete and thorough job of enforcing the law, I'm going to do whatever I can to interfere in the corruption.

One good example is a local dealership row. For whatever reason, people love to just fly out into traffic like idiots. Police response? Blame speed and give people tickets for speeding. Doing absolutely ZERO to stop people from blowing out of the dealers like Mr. Magoo.

They speed trap instead of fixing poorly designed roads, dangerous intersections, or checking poor driving habits. It's a huge scam. When they start actually doing something about making the roads safe, I'll stop flashing.

No, but I flash my lights at the hoards of idiots who drive after dark with NO lights on...doesn't do much good though as most of these idiots don't seem to know what that means...

I do with Waze if a speed camera has not been marked in that particular location. Otherwise the local norm is to turn on your left blinker as you approach a speed camera, which is the primary method used around here.

Originally Posted By: grampi
No, but I flash my lights at the hoards of idiots who drive after dark with NO lights on...doesn't do much good though as most of these idiots don't seem to know what that means...

I do that same and IMO most of the offenders have DRL's and an instrument cluster that is lit 24/7. In a well lit urban area they're just less likely to be aware.

Lucky for me my instrument cluster doesn't light up during the day. However my manufacture of choice has since changed that and moved to full LCD panels. (face palm).

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Yes.

Because the police are way too focused on speed, and completely let go or never pursue 1000 other offenses responsible for death on the road.

If the police are not going to do a complete and thorough job of enforcing the law, I'm going to do whatever I can to interfere in the corruption.

One good example is a local dealership row. For whatever reason, people love to just fly out into traffic like idiots. Police response? Blame speed and give people tickets for speeding. Doing absolutely ZERO to stop people from blowing out of the dealers like Mr. Magoo.

They speed trap instead of fixing poorly designed roads, dangerous intersections, or checking poor driving habits. It's a huge scam. When they start actually doing something about making the roads safe, I'll stop flashing.

I agree with you on the speeding vs. other offenses, but to be fair speeding is really the only thing that can be easily documented which is why many departments focus on that.

Nobody will ever admit to being on the phone or texting, but it's hard to argue against a calibrated radar gun. I interned at a local PD during college. An officer pulled over a distracted driver and gave her a ticket. She sued and won because there was no proof other than the statement by the officer that she was on facebook.

No. The local law enforcement here are "lax" when it comes to speeding and by that I mean I can normally do up to 10MPH over the posted limit in a [censored] can honda and I won't be pulled over for speeding. If you're speeding in a way that the cops will pursue you for speeding then you deserve it because I know I deserve it. Take responsibility for your actions.

Everytime. By me they setup at the bottom of a hill people use to get to work. I know they are just getting people for picking up speed at the bottom of the hill.

Notice how you rarely see police/speed traps in the rain? They don't "enforce" then because they might get wet. If that doesn't tell you its just for making money on nice days I don't know what does.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

I do that same and IMO most of the offenders have DRL's and an instrument cluster that is lit 24/7. In a well lit urban area they're just less likely to be aware.

Lucky for me my instrument cluster doesn't light up during the day. However my manufacture of choice has since changed that and moved to full LCD panels. (face palm).

I'm not talking about people driving with their DRLs on, I'm talking about those driving after dark with absolutely NO lights on...I see it all the time, and when I flash them, they still don't turn their lights on...it's like they exist only in their own little world...

Originally Posted By: Pew
No. The local law enforcement here are "lax" when it comes to speeding and by that I mean I can normally do up to 10MPH over the posted limit in a [censored] can honda and I won't be pulled over for speeding. If you're speeding in a way that the cops will pursue you for speeding then you deserve it because I know I deserve it. Take responsibility for your actions.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed that in IL, cops don't patrol for speeders. In fact, the only time I see a cop is when there is an accident. I constantly see drivers doing 20 or even 30 MPH over the speed limit, cutting in and out of traffic, making illegal turns, texting while driving, etc, and nothing is ever done about it...

I'm surprised you haven't noticed that in IL, cops don't patrol for speeders. In fact, the only time I see a cop is when there is an accident. I constantly see drivers doing 20 or even 30 MPH over the speed limit, cutting in and out of traffic, making illegal turns, texting while driving, etc, and nothing is ever done about it...

They do, but if you're not doing at least 5mph over the limit in Illinois then you're slow so we're used to driving faster. Most of the suburban cops will pull people over for speeding. The Chicago cops on the other hand could care less about traffic violations. I blew past a Chicago cop doing 30mph over the limit in downtown and they didn't bother to chase. I've gotten pulled over for speeding a few times, one doing 94 in a 55 (I just REALLY wanted to get home after drill), 80mph in a 55, and 35 in a 25 (cop was cool, let me go.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
I used to but I don't anymore,
I figure if they are going too fast they deserve a ticket. What do the BITOG folks think.

I always warn with a flash of the lights. It’s my right to communicate freely.

Furthermore, cops don’t always get it right, especially with two lane traffic. A headlight flash simply gives attentive motorists a chance to check their speed. Which in the end, creates lower speeds, what you claim you want.

However, the 90th percentile speed is safest. Slower highway speeds are not always better.

Carlin’s thoughts come to mind. Anyone faster is a maniac and anyone slower is an idiot. Really, 85th or 90th percentile (the speed 90% of drivers don’t exceed) gives the best flow and therefore the safest overall speed

Last edited:

They do, but if you're not doing at least 5mph over the limit in Illinois then you're slow so we're used to driving faster. Most of the suburban cops will pull people over for speeding. The Chicago cops on the other hand could care less about traffic violations. I blew past a Chicago cop doing 30mph over the limit in downtown and they didn't bother to chase. I've gotten pulled over for speeding a few times, one doing 94 in a 55 (I just REALLY wanted to get home after drill), 80mph in a 55, and 35 in a 25 (cop was cool, let me go.)

You must be in a different area of IL than I am. I travel 355, 294, 55, 94, 88, and I can tell you the way people drive on these freeways, cops could just park on an entrance ramp and radio ahead to ticket people for speeding (and I mean way over the limit), improper lane use, no signaling, tailgating, aggressive driving, you name it, these idiots do it, but there's never a cop in sight...anyone who drives around here is taking their lives in someone else's hands...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back