Do you warm up your car before taking off?

It makes me chuckle when you guys from the south talk about it being cold and the car needing to warm up before driving.
i assume the people that drive off immediately are parked in a garage. In MN it takes time to scrape the windows and it isn't safe to drive off until you start to get a little heat from the defroster.

Reading through all of these comments, it sounds like the overwhelming majority either don't let it warm up or let it run for 30 seconds max before driving. And I feel the same way...start it, put it in drive and maybe take it easy while driving the first couple miles. Never a problem.

I start the engine and listen to the car for a few seconds. You can learn much about what could go wrong by how the powertrain sounds just after it's started. If I hear nothing strange, then it's down the road I go.

I'm easy on my commuter because it has a pronounced startup knock, probably a lifter. It gets about 30 seconds of cold idle and a very light load until I'm out of the neighborhood about 2 minutes later. This is with an oil with a relatively low cold viscosity.

Always when it’s cold. My daily driver is an 86 K20 and I’ll usually start it up about 10 minutes before I clock out. I leave work around 1am so that’s usually when it’s coldest. I prefer to be comfortable.

I've started keeping a spray bottle full of de-icing windshield washer fluid. Melts the ice right off and saves the wipers.
Once or twice I've tried to use the wipers while driving, hit the sprayer and it'll just smear. Always wind up either using a huge amount of fluid or having to stop anyhow. I guess you can't be moving while doing that? Just easier and faster to scrape, then roll down a window until I get heat.

Once or twice I've tried to use the wipers while driving, hit the sprayer and it'll just smear. Always wind up either using a huge amount of fluid or having to stop anyhow. I guess you can't be moving while doing that? Just easier and faster to scrape, then roll down a window until I get heat.
No I mean if my glass is iced over I just spray the de-icer and come back in a few.

It all sloughs off pretty quick. Works for the headlights too.

Fire up what ever I decide to drive that morning, adjust the rear and side mirrors if need be. Set the radio station and drive nice and easy/speed limit for the first 5 miles or so. Acura & Subaru warm up fairly quick -- Old Dodge needs alittle more time before I can crank out some heat/defrost.

I let my vehicles idle in neutral until the revs drop below 1k. Then put in gear and back out of the garage, and coast (downhill) to the end of my street. After that, I try to stay under 2k in my truck (3k in the FRS) until I have built up some oil temp. I never exceed 4k rpm in the FRS until the oil is at 175°F or above.

I let it idle usually for about a minute, regardless as I set up my stuff in the car. Maybe less.
My general rule is to keep it under 3k until the car is warmed up.
If I am starting below 20F, I'll keep it under 2k.
I'm in south central Texas, so I'm not terribly concerned.

The best thing to do is to get it warmed up as quickly as possible. This helps the environment and the life of the engine. This is done by starting and driving off ASAP. Does anybody here not think the manufacturers have not done the math here?

The best thing to do is to get it warmed up as quickly as possible. This helps the environment and the life of the engine. This is done by starting and driving off ASAP. Does anybody here not think the manufacturers have not done the math here?
The opinion of many here is that the OEM only cares about warranty period, then after that they are off the hook. It only has to last that long.

IMO they care a bit longer than that, but 10yr/150k is about all an OEM is after, when they design something. They might not be planning for it to die, somehow magically, at that mark--but they have no incentive making it last longer than that. [Passenger cars that is.]

Back