Do you warm up your car before taking off?

As soon as the engine gets on close loop I am on my way. Summer time 1-3 seconds, winter - 5-8 seconds.

Edit: 2012 CRV
Your engine goes from cold to closed-loop in 1-3 seconds in the summer, and 5-8 in the winter? I am not a mechanic but both seem exceptionally fast--is this via scangauge or similar monitoring system? I suppose possible for a vehicle already heated up to temperature, but not from cold (which is what I understood OP's question to be).

Your engine goes from cold to closed-loop in 1-3 seconds in the summer, and 5-8 in the winter? I am not a mechanic but both seem exceptionally fast--is this via scangauge or similar monitoring system? I suppose possible for a vehicle already heated up to temperature, but not from cold (which is what I understood OP's question to be).
I use UltraGauge for monitoring.
2012 CRV has heated O2 sensor and I did check the temperature of it and was surprized how fast it heats up.
I am talking about O2 sensor not the oil or atifreeze.
I purchased this CRV Feb 24 2012 with 7 miles on odo and install Ultragauge at day one.

Here in Phoenix with our frigid winters, I give my car maybe a minute or 2 , start the car up, turn the heated steering wheel and seats on, adjust the climante control, make sure the radio is on the morning radio station, shut the garage door, by the time I am done, the kid should be done getting herself buckled in.

Previous numbers was to optimistic, but I did recheck the time versus temperature and this is the data.

At 23F it gets in close loop in 9 seconds, at 41F it takes 7 seconds.

I am sorry for the misinformation.

Put the key in, turn it, put it in drive, buckle up while stepping on it. EPA says it's okay as the vehicle will warm up quicker if you're moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back