Do you warm up your car before taking off?

I used to wait for 5 or more minutes until i saw the temp gauge rise to 60c or close. Now i always wait for 30 sec at the very least to a minute and sometimes a bit more while i buckle up, set my gps etc and then drive slowly, generaly shifting at 2k rpm max until the temp gauge is around 60c then shift at 2.5k max when the gauge gets around 80c and then 3k rpm and above when i'm sure that the oil is close to it's operating temperature.

This morning, like always, my girlfriend wasn't very amused at the fact i insisted to wait for a minute until high idle comes down before driving it. (with her Yaris she buckles up etc THEN turn the key, puts it in gear and flogs it not even a second after turning it on and she knows it makes me cringe but she never thinks about doing it the other way around).

Anyway, i always took for granted that you do what's best for your car in the long run and i always cringe when i hear an engine start in the morning then scream at 3k rpm a few seconds later down the road (everyone in my street). I wonder how outdated my thinking is. I always imagine the bypass valve opening fully to give the thick oil a chance to get everywhere but does my "warm up minute" even make the oil really thinner or it doesn't matter as long as oil is flowing everywhere? (i assume not more than a few seconds). What is the most important part, giving the engine some time to warm up or driving slowly like i do? I wonder how much more wear should i expect if i wasn't waiting as much, just turning the engine on, wait 15 sec then drive gently but normally.

UOAs comparing the two driving styles would be interesting. What's your take on this? How do you start driving you cold car in the morning? Any tight high mileage engines driven cold with no warm up time?

I have no reason to...using synth oils and synth media filters

About the only warm up is the time to fasten a seatbelt, adjust seat mirrors, set HVAC and tunes...

It's likely the two UOA's would show little difference. Here at BITOG we overstress warm up for the most part. I used to wait. Now I get in and let it run for maybe 10-15 seconds then go.

I will let it run and circulate oil for 15-30secs if it's above 50* or so. If it's colder than that, I'll let it run a minute or more but I also usually remote start it and let it run a few minutes warming up the inside while I finish getting ready for work.

Depends on the outdoor temp and the vehicle. The OB holds a higher RMP while warming up. If it's 20's F or below that level, I'll wait a minute or so. My road is rural and steep for a little under 2 miles. I often coast down the road giving warm up time. And I do keep RPM's under 3k until I see the temp gauge settle in on warm.

Depends on the temperature. Mid 20s, not really. This morning it was 3F. The manual transmission is pretty cold blooded. So I let it idle in neutral for a few minutes. Then I head out.

I let it sit there with the heat OFF so the engine can build heat.

My routine when starting vehicles gives them that 30 seconds, so it goes like this. Get in, start engine, fasten seatbelt, adjust seat/mirrors connect phone, tune desired radio/music programming, then drive gently until the drivetrain is fully warmed up.

I think my engines love me for that.

I let the Laser run at least 5 minutes before leaving. It's old, and it runs better with some warmth in the engine. With the newer cars, I let them run until they slow to normal idle. I hate engaging an automatic transmission when the engine's running fast.

Ok, i guess it makes sense to use a 5w40 and not a 15w40 if i want to spend less time waiting, even above freezing and during summer.

By the time I back out of the driveway, while on fast idle and no throttle, gently leave the cul-de-sac which is a mild downhill run to the stop sign. This is about 30-40 seconds and by then, IMO that is enough initial warmup for me, and then drive normally, unless it is blow 15°f. YMMV

Last edited:
Being in MN I hate driving in a stone cold vehicle in the winter, especially when my kiddo is with me. Even though my Jeep has heated seats and steering wheel, I still remote start it and let it warm up for 5 minutes or so. At that point by the end of my block the HVAC is producing heat so my kid isn't freezing in the back seat.

Above 50 degrees or so I just hop in, start it up, buckle up and go. Probably less than a minute.

Back