Do you use 5w30 in your mower? Does your mower hold 2 quarts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use HD 30 but have a couple of quarts of Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 I may use this year. My mower uses about 42 ounces. The extra can be top off oil for the rest of the summer.

Mower holds a quart and a half, pressure washer holds half a quart.

I normally use 15W-50 but I got a bunch of Delo XLE 10W-30 for 50¢ each. It runs ok but burns faster.

Originally Posted by lawnguy
Do you use 5w30 in your mower?
Yes for my Honda push mower with the GCV160 motor as well as most of my other OPE. No for the John Deere D140 rider with B&S 724cc V-Twin. The latter takes 10w-30 and I will be using M1 High Mileage this season for its robust 3.5 HTHS viscosity.

Does your mower hold 2 quarts?
The Honda holds about 20 ounces; the John Deere takes two quarts.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Rookie Tip: On a Honda GCV you remove the the dipstick, wipe it clean, then push it in, but do not screw it in. Then pull it out and check the level. If you screw it in, you will get a wrong reading and have a low level in the crankcase. This is from the manual.
smile.gif

That's also the method for Briggs that have a long plastic filling / dipstick tube up to the top of the engine. Sometimes it is good to RTFM.

whatever 10w30 synthetic i have open, 15w40 would do as well if its for gas engines

I have used 5W30 for 30 years now, first in a Tecumseh mower (which still runs good) and for a few years now in a Honda mower. I always have 5W30m on hand for the cars...

I've used 0W30, 5W30, 10W30, and 5W40 in my mower, it holds about 22 ounces of oil. I use whatever I have laying around, or grabbed at closeout sales. It might get a mix of Mobil 1 5W50 from the days of SE, and whatever else is open come the end of this season.

No...Rotella 15w40. yes...2qts. 21year old Kawasaki 501v liquid cooled. John Deere LX188. I wish I had installed an hour meter when I bought it but just guessing that it has around 2,000 hours. Still runs like new.

Do you use 5w30 in your mower? Does your mower hold 2 quarts?

No I use SAE30 and that is what I would use in Florida or you will always be adding make up using 5w-30. They all use anywhere from 20-24 ounces.

Last edited:
German Castrol 0W-40 (have 4 quarts left) in my little Honda mower. Everything else(generators, pressure washer, water pump) RotellaT6 5W-40.

Any thing with a Briggs & Stratton grass cutting equipment gets 30 w HD. Any generator gets 10/30 syn only because may have to start
in cold weather. Zero turn, 4 wheeler and tractor gets gets 15/40 . I could just use delo 10/30 blend in every thing to just stock one oil but
why make it easy.

Snow blower gets 5w30 dino.. Current fill in the mowers is 20w50 dino. Why put 5wxx in a mower that doesn't get used in cold weather? The main thing isn't the oil, it is the amount of oil. Check level before every use.
grin2.gif

5w30 in mowers. In part because that's what open container I had open at the time.

Briggs & Stratton's main recommendation is to use 5w30 synthetic. And Honda GCV recommends 5w30 too (and 10w30).

Though I don't think it matters unless maybe you're beating on them hard while outside temps are above 90F.

5w30 PP in my 1992 Toro mower and 1984 Honda HS55 snowblower. Mower takes 0.5L , blower takes 0.6L. Both still run strong with very little oil use if any. Drain fill once a season for both. My maintenance regime seems to be working well for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back