Do you trust small shop with your TPMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a small automotive shop (one man show owner/operator) I asked him if he has mounted tires that use TPMS and he said yes "you just have to be very careful". Anyways he'll mount and balance my snow tires for $12.50/each ($50 total) which is way cheaper than anyone else. What really goes into mounting/dismounting tires with TPMS? I've heard about "rebuild kits" being needed sometimes, etc. This shop is literally across the street from my house and I know he's changing out a lot of snow tires including newer cars with TPMS because I can see them from my window. Any advice would be helpful.

Luxury car dealers have consistently told me there is no need to do a TPMS rebuild.

The fact that this guy says you have to be careful but is not trying to sell you anything is a good sign.

The majority of cars have tpms nowadays, Id be shocked to find a shop that doesn't deal with it dozens of times per day.

They just pull out the valve core, that's it. they don't touch the metal nossles or sensor assemblys.

Even if it is difficult, I'm sure he'd replace any parts he damaged. But I think you're overthinking it. Support a small business and let him take care of it
smile.gif
on a side note, sometimes dealers are cheap when it comes to services like this. Last week I had my Sedona in for a couple recalls, and had them mount my General Altimax RT43s while it was in there, and they only charged $12/wheel for mount & balance, and that included re-using the old TPMS sensors.

Shops of all sizes don't do any work.
Techs do.
If this guy is making a living on a one man operation, then he's probably pretty good at what he does.
I'd give him your business.
If he screws up, he'll probably make it right with no excuses.
You can't say the same of many corporate operations including many franchised new car dealers.
If we want to have indies as an alternative, then we all need to throw some money their way.

To put it kindly it's stupid simple nothing special needed at all. Just have toale sure when you mount it and what not you don't hit sensor. Ita no big deal. I do them at least 5 times a week.

You just have to line the stem up with the bead breaker so the "tight" part of the bead drop-down doesn't rip off the bottom of the sensor. Basically break the bead at 3 o'clock when the stem is at noon. Once the first bunch of bead falls in the rest is super loose. Anyone with an ounce of experience knows this, support your indie.

Originally Posted By: Corollaman
There is a small automotive shop (one man show owner/operator) I asked him if he has mounted tires that use TPMS and he said yes "you just have to be very careful". "I know he's changing out a lot of snow tires including newer cars with TPMS because I can see them from my window".

Those two statements lead me to believe he possesses the skill.

I did it on all four tires on the Versa using my backhoe bucket to break the bead. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back