Tire Shop Says All Sensors Bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most manufactures say about 6 years is average life, so youre in good shape. Since the tire is coming off anyway, now would be the time to replace if doing so, however rubber stems work fine. The metal stems tend to corrode as well.

I paid $80 for 1 on an 08 impala at the dealer. Got home, 10 miles later and the rear went out. Walmart replaced the next for $28. Live and learn. My sensor lights been on in my 09 altima for 7yrs cause they went out every other week and got tired of going to the dealer.

Piece of black tape would fix this... After owning a VW for over 10 years I've gotten real good at ignoring warning lights though.

If the price bothers you, you could find a smaller shop at next tire time and have them install standard rubber valves; some of the smaller shops are willing to forgo absolute adhering to the law. Or you could try to replace with regular valves yourself. Or just eat the price and have them replaced next time. Check your state laws--nothing in NH law says I "must" have working TPMS, forget if Federal law prevents tampering or not.

2008 F150, still going on original sensors. Only indication was last winter, 20F, tire pressure fell to appropriate level for light. I only drive 3000-4000 miles a year, and installed new tires 3.5 year ago.

These are the band style sensors strapped around the inside of the wheel. I'll probably ignore them when they fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back