Do you stretch any maintenance items beyond the OEM Service Interval?

I change the stuff that matters (e.g., fluids, plugs and points back in the old days of leaded fuel) early, but the stuff that doesn't really matter (e.g., PCV valve, air filters, wheel bearing grease ... ) only when needed, which in some cases is never. At 600k miles, my Mazda still had its original PCV and the original grease in most of its wheel bearings. I had to replace the fuel filter only once.

I do pretty much everything on time except for brake fluid. Probably original in my '14 Grand Cherokee.

It probably also has original ATF, transfercase, and differential fluid too.

Have been meaning to change them all though.

Tire rotations. Only in extreme use (towing, off-roading, etc.) cases have I seen it actually extend tire life. If it’s part of a tire purchase package though I might do it periodically.
This is something I don't really do either, if your alignment is correct all it does is ensures the tires wear evenly front to back, in the long run that makes no difference unless you like replacing all four tires at once. When I get tires I usually have the fronts replaced (because they wear more) and the new tires put on the back, moving the old rears to the front.

If you have an older vehicle with a worn suspension and have no intentions on rebuilding it then it might help. Lots of higher mileage/older vehicles that come in to my shop have out of spec camber on the front or rear or unadjustable toe problems in the rear. Obviously the best thing to do is to replace the worn parts but people generally don't want to spend $3-4k on an old clunker.

This is something I don't really do either, if your alignment is correct all it does is ensures the tires wear evenly front to back, in the long run that makes no difference unless you like replacing all four tires at once.
Most sales are for 4 tires, not 2. If you shop correctly, you often buy 4 for the price of 3.

If you pay full price for 2 tires, it is somewhat of a false economy.

I ignore the year and focus squarely on the miles. Five year old oil and an oil filter don't bother me in the least so long as it doesn't look too dark or rusty.

I'm one of those guys who would love to get 10 years worth of calenders just so I can stay on top of everything automotive. I have owned a dealership for nearly 20 years and every vehicle I own is good on the table. But the only new car I ever bought and kept fora long time is now 28 years and 400k+ miles old.

Even though I can't be a keeper for now, I do think someday I'll be one of those guys circling the classic car circuit thinking more about the preservation techniques than the car itself. I hate seeing people waste and get into debt for all the wrong reasons.

I don't always change air filters as often as owner's manual suggests. For example, I changed the original air filter on a bought-new Toyota at around 60,000 miles even though Toyota says to change it at 30,000 miles. But changed air filter at the recommended 60,000 interval on my son's bought-new VW.

Cabin filter intervals I often extend too, for example my Lexus owner's manual says to change it every year, and I change it every 3 years or so and it's fine.

Oil and other fluids usually changed earlier than manufacturers indicate, with the exception of going 2 or 3 years between oil changes on my Porsche that doesn't see too many miles per year.

Pushed my plugs, engine oil at times, trans fluid, brake fluid, coolant way past service life. No problems, it's a Toyota though.

I'm guilty of not paying much attention at all to some of the intervals on my pickup. Their definition of "severe service" includes basic operation of a vehicle in any North Texas city, and has a bunch of absurdly low intervals for some things.

I'm not about to change my rear axle oil every 15k miles, for example. Not when the "regular service" doesn't have a change interval. So I sort of split the difference and do it every 50k or so. Which is more or less what I do for a lot of those things- I'm not changing my plugs every 30k either.

I look at OEM intervals as the absolute max.

I look at them as the minimum...(if we are talking about miles).

OEM's want to cover their rear as far as warranty goes, as well as get as much money from service as possible. Are there vehicles out there that need as much, or even more frequent service than what is called for in the manual...yup. Are there many vehicles out there that can live very long lives with longer intervals...YES.

I look at them as the minimum...(if we are talking about miles).

OEM's want to cover their rear as far as warranty goes, as well as get as much money from service as possible. Are there vehicles out there that need as much, or even more frequent service than what is called for in the manual...yup. Are there many vehicles out there that can live very long lives with longer intervals...YES.
If you plan to keep your car for 150K or less, that is probably fine.

Back