Do you stretch any maintenance items beyond the OEM Service Interval?

CAF I do yearly. Right after the spring pollen season is over is my routine. Brake fluid when brakes get replaced. All other fluids via the severe schedule. Plugs around 80k so they come out with less drama.
I think for many cars that don’t see severe(commuting during rush hour, taxi/Doordash/Uber or other gig work) service or track/race use and you don’t live in a hilly area(and you should know to downshift and engine brake if so), fresh brake fluid when pads or shoes are replaced is IMO, a good compromise. Many cars out there are still on the factory fill or topped off by a quick lube. which drives me nuts, brake fluid shouldn’t be topped off, it’s normal to see the level drop as the friction wears.

I think for many cars that don’t see severe(commuting during rush hour, taxi/Doordash/Uber or other gig work) service or track/race use and you don’t live in a hilly area(and you should know to downshift and engine brake if so), fresh brake fluid when pads or shoes are replaced is IMO, a good compromise.

Our Mini's brake pads (and rotors) still the first from factory after almost ten years.
Granted, you said 'for many', not for most or even for all.

brake fluid shouldn’t be topped off, it’s normal to see the level drop as the friction wears.

I agree with that. Most often the pads are due when BF level approaches the MIN mark.

On the SRT, I don't change the oil every 6 months like I'm supposed to, I just go by the OLM because that's otherwise insane.
I guess I have been conditioned to 6 month/5K services due to growing up in Toyota-land, so 6 months doesn't seem completely ridiculous to me.

On a semi-related note, I talked to two guys who work in corporate fleets. Both of their companies require a 3 month PM service (which includes LOF) for their service vehicles, regardless of mileage.

Tire rotations. Only in extreme use (towing, off-roading, etc.) cases have I seen it actually extend tire life. If it’s part of a tire purchase package though I might do it periodically.
Yes. Just a way to warp rotors and ruin studs and lug nuts. If tires aren’t wearing any I leave enough alone.

Well I'm at 204k on my DD 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI and I have yet to change the rear axle fluid or transmission fluid. Ironically I do oil changes before the OLM at the 5-6k mark, plugs been done 3x, air filters and cabin filters a few times and the car is squeakly clean being waxed and detailed 2x a year. I just keep putting off the tranny and diff. I am at the point now that next oil change I will do the diff but I am on the fence on the transmission being its 100k behind on the fluid flush schedule lol. I know its a lifetime fluid but I think lifetime means 100-150k in real terms. I may just do a drain and fill to fortify the additives and keep it going.

Brake fluid I feel can go 3 years, unless explicitly called out by the fluid manufacturer and CAFs I let go until visibly dirty beyond “normal” but before gross.
Yeah same here as when I got my Nissan they recommended brake fluid exchange every 20K believe it was. The service 'advisor' mentioned that and I told her Nissan is a bit nuts at that point. Asked if it would count against the warranty and she said no, so there you go! Had it exchanged around the 75K mile/7 yr point and it was still in totally fine shape.

When I was a teenager my dad said I "over-maintained" vehicles. And I did...never should have touched the drum brakes in my 01 Ranger.

Now, I hardly do anything except oil changes and coolant. But I don't skimp on things that are needed either. My vehicles are in great shape for their age. Everything always has good tires, good brakes, full and not contaminated fluids, etc.

I have not even changed the ATF in either Explorer. The last change on the Ranger was about 60k ago.

Any car we have owned with a timing belt has not been replaced at the recommended interval. Actually never been replaced. Dad said he can’t see spending money on something that ain’t broke. I said yeah but in some cases it will damage things if it breaks he said eh I doubt it. So I’ll just let them be and he will learn if it breaks. Also differential services. Never done one on anything we have owned. Same with transmission services too. I’m guilty even though I’m a mechanic I neglect my personal vehicles sometimes. I won’t miss an oil change though .

Coming up on 2 years since my last engine oil and filter change in the 530i. Alas, it's only been 4k miles during this time. I can't remember if BMW requires an annual OCI, regardless of miles. The car's OLM certainly isn't complaining.
My engine air filter is over 3 yrs old but approx 10k miles,. CAF is over 2 yrs old but approx 6k miles. Iirc oth are 2yr/20k mile intervals.

Spark plugs is a common one. I exceed the OE spec interval, but I also install longer-lasting plugs, too. Especially when the job is difficult (transverse V6, 4th gen F-body, etc)

Cabin filters I typically only do every other year instead of every year. Air filters are also usually not replaced as frequently as the manual says to do.

Timing belts on a non-interference engine

I'm usually the final owner of any car I buy, mostly older high-mileage cars. They typically get one set of spark plugs and one coolant change. The car will rust before those services are needed again.

If I had a newer Toyota with the 2GR-FKS, I'd stretch the 60k spark plug interval to 100k
My BIL went almost 200k miles on the timing belt of his Subaru. It snapped on the highway, and he had t towed to the dealer. Engine was fine.

Back