Do you prefer the old fashioned dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 99 Grand Am and it didn't have a trans dipstick. This is old news. Not fake news, but old news.

But yes, I agree, totally asinine that these aren't standard on all makes/models. Then again, the backyard humble mechanics like us are a dying breed and the OEM's don't care about the shops/dealerships.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I asked a 25-year-old male co-worker his thoughts on the subject. His answer? No need for a dipstick because his car has an oil pressure warning light and an oil life monitor. He said that he watches the monitor for oil changes and beyond that, he doubts that the level will ever get low enough that the oil pressure warning light will come one but its there just in case.

He purchased his Corolla new, 5 years ago and has done nothing but oil changes at a quick-lube, tires at Discount Tires and he takes it through the carwash every week without fail and always leaves a 1 or 2 dollar tip. He never lets the quick-lube upsell him. It's Southern California. He parks in a garage at home and at work and prides himself on taking excellent care of his ride. It does look like a new car but I'm not sure he knows where the hood release might be.
Seems reasonable, some of it. If the vehicle uses oil or leaks, there is a risk of running out of oil if there is no oil level sensor. Honda V6 with VCM has the tendancy to burn oil sometimes more than 1 qt every 1000 miles. Could run out if level not checked. Maintenance Monitor seems to ask for oil changes in the 7-11k mile range in Honda with VCM so it is possible to run out of oil and damage the engine if level not checked and corrected. On the other hand, some Hondas with VCM have problems mechanical engine problems and spark plug damage even without running out of oil.

Supposedly manufacturers started doing this with trannys to prevent people from adding the wrong fluid, but I don't know whether to believe that or not. GM has an easy method with their plug as you can reach it with an extension and the wheels turned to the right (Chevy Equinox).

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Supposedly manufacturers started doing this with trannys to prevent people from adding the wrong fluid, but I don't know whether to believe that or not. GM has an easy method with their plug as you can reach it with an extension and the wheels turned to the right (Chevy Equinox).

Nothing would surprise me, and like what has been written previously, and just what the manufacturers like, most people don't know shinola about vehicles nowadays so why bother putting things on them that they aren't going to use.
Truthfully, until this thread, I had no idea dipsticks on some vehicles had been removed? I will have to check my wife's Impala now!

Lots of vids out there that prove most people don't have a clue nowadays about much of anything like the older generation does, and even then, some from my generation don't have a clue either, sadly.
Blinker fluid, how much do you need? (many vids with guys in them as well, I just thought this girl was cute)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDGuOM7kdM

I was happy to have a sensor when my rear main seal went out in my 335 BMW when it started to leak a quart every hundred miles driving here from Chicago. My apologies to the surface water across Wisconsin.

Personally, I would NEVER purchase a vehicle that doesn't have a dipstick and the inability to install one. An oil level sensor is a nice ADDITIONAL feature, but IMO a dipstick is a MUST! Most people who do their own maintenance would agree with me.

Last edited:
I prefer dipsticks, the low oil indicator is a good thing but I still like to check the level. On transmissions no question dipstick only.

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Nothing would surprise me, and like what has been written previously, and just what the manufacturers like, most people don't know shinola about vehicles nowadays so why bother putting things on them that they aren't going to use.
Truthfully, until this thread, I had no idea dipsticks on some vehicles had been removed? I will have to check my wife's Impala now!

Lots of vids out there that prove most people don't have a clue nowadays about much of anything like the older generation does, and even then, some from my generation don't have a clue either, sadly.
Blinker fluid, how much do you need? (many vids with guys in them as well, I just thought this girl was cute)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDGuOM7kdM

The best part is when the sensors don't work properly and come on too early, resulting in people adding oil when they shouldn't have, which happens a lot with BMW (I think BMW was the first to stop using regular dipsticks)
banana2.gif

BMW specifically did it because they "don't want people monkeying around under the hood"

Originally Posted By: irv

That hubcap is still intact
laugh.gif

I prefer the dipstick on my Audi. It's got this deep crosshatching that makes it dead simple to read every time. My Jeep for all it's easy to maintain points is terrible for this. The dipstick is smeared all over with oil and basically very tricky unless you just let it sit cold so long that you can read it on the first pull.

Another example of over-engineering, and adding unneeded complexity, which we know reduces reliability.

Sales depts. being given too much say in design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back