Are DIY friendly autos going to become a trend?

As someone who prefers to turn my own wrenches, I enjoy doing most of my own auto maintenance.
After seeing the video below, this gives me hope that more manufacturers going to make them DIY friendly.

I skipped through. Brake pads and filters? I'm sure there are vehicles that have hard ones to do, but aren't most still "easy" to do?

What about wheel bearings, timing belts and other things that are expected during ownership? might as well add timing chains, what with how many don't last.

Quickstruts may be hot garbage but at least they are easy to do.

Now if they can fix the electric parking brake... I always look it up, and I always get it wrong. Push the button 3 times to go into service mode? whatever. It was easier when it was manual.

I'd probably enjoy doing more of the work if I had N+1 vehicles. N+1 garage bays too. Nothing like the fear of bricking something to take the desire away.

Those items he mentioned - oil change, spark plugs, headlights and engine and cabin air filter replacement - didn't just suddenly become DIY-friendly. It isn't part of a trend. They pretty much either always were, or not, depending on your skill level. Righty tighty, lefty loosey, you know.

Can you get a valve cover or starter or alternator out without dis-assembling the car?

My 2019 RAV4 actually doesn't look too bad. Some other things - especially transverse V6's are terrible these days. I have only owned one transverse V6 - an olds back in the 90's. It wasn't bad at all. the new ones look awful.

Can you get a valve cover or starter or alternator out without dis-assembling the car?

My 2019 RAV4 actually doesn't look too bad. Some other things - especially transverse V6's are terrible these days. I have only owned one transverse V6 - an olds back in the 90's. It wasn't bad at all. the new ones look awful.
Yeah my Cutlass Ciera 3300 was easy to do rear spark plugs on. The biggest problem was baked on ignition wire boots, and a tin shield that would cut my hand to ribbons if I rubbed on it wrongly. If I needed even more room I could have removed the front "dog bone" mount and rolled the car in park, to force the engine forward.

Are DIY friendly autos going to become a trend?​

grumpy-cat-no-5-300x194.jpg

As someone who prefers to turn my own wrenches, I enjoy doing most of my own auto maintenance.
After seeing the video below, this gives me hope that more manufacturers going to make them DIY friendly.

Not likely because computer diagnostics will continue to be the primary method of determining the repair path and for completing repairs (i.e. Programming). Automakers are/were trying to make this information proprietary due to the additional software features present in new vehicles today. This is why "Right to repair" legislation became popular a couple of years ago. Sure a code reader will get you to one point but having the proper software will get you that final distance so you're not having to load the parts cannon.

Electric cars are going to end just about all DIY stuff except for some basic cabin filter/wiper blade jobs.
Would it end doing struts, ball joints and other suspension work?

Technically an EV should never need a valve cover gasket, timing belt and a whole slew of "normal" and routine work. So is that a loss?

I'm kinda glad that I don't have to recap my cell phone nor TV set every decade, much less replace vacuum tubes. They're much less DIY friendly on repairs then their predecessors--but I'm ok with that.

They are all DIY until something breaks. I take care of 4 vehicles for family and as an example, starter went out so I had to remove exhaust. Battery goes out, alternator and battery needs coded together. I told wife that I need to spend thousands so I can reprogram next computer wiped by shorted injector. You see if you don't want these expenses, don't own a modern vehicle or buy new every couple of years. If up to me and I could afford it, I would only lease.

I’m not sure how much repair work I’ll be willing to do on my new Volkswagen. With what I’ve seen online, most maintenance items are relatively straightforward. Actual repairs… who knows.

EV's don't have brake pads, brake fluid, coolant, transmission or drive fluid, light bulbs, 12V battery, shocks and struts, window and door lock motors, etc.?
ev's dont have brake pads, fluid, coolant, or fluids? news to me. last i checked they have everything except engine oil and transmission fluid. They have braking systems, coolant systems and some have oil in the drive motors.

Would it end doing struts, ball joints and other suspension work?

Technically an EV should never need a valve cover gasket, timing belt and a whole slew of "normal" and routine work. So is that a loss?

I'm kinda glad that I don't have to recap my cell phone nor TV set every decade, much less replace vacuum tubes. They're much less DIY friendly on repairs then their predecessors--but I'm ok with that.
I don't consider struts/ball joints or suspension work as typical of DIY. You make a good point as consumer appliances and electronics have trended to being throwaway items ,are vehicles far behind?

ev's dont have brake pads, fluid, coolant, or fluids? news to me. last i checked they have everything except engine oil and transmission fluid. They have braking systems, coolant systems and some have oil in the drive motors.
Umm....that was my point. They DO have all that so DIY'ers won't be out of business anytime soon.

They pretty much either always were, or not, depending on your skill level. Righty tighty, lefty loosey, you know.

Give this man a cigar! I get a kick out of the "you just can't work on today's cars" mantra, which I've been hearing since the 1980s. You can or you can't, contingent upon your skill level, tool inventory, and confidence. The beating heart of most vehicles is still a four-cycle engine, and it's been that way for over a century. While you may have to remove some extra items for proper access, the theme remains the same.

You may be correct...by the year 2100 when EVs might become economically viable means of transportation and/or work.
Maybe not that far out but it will happen. No need to bury your head in the sand. Remembet the crying when leaded gas came to an end? How about when seatbelt laws and open container laws? Every time something is enacted or outlawed a contingent of folks make dire predictions or vent/act out in venues such as this board. You feel empowered because most folks on this board echo this sentiment. Confirmation bias leads to cognitive dissonance and is not very helpul to anyone in the long run. Expand your borders and use a pinch of objectivity. You may be correct or you may be wrong. Let scientific protocols and objective methodology lead you my friend.

Back