do you load a new filter w/oil before installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always prefill, can't stand the knocking noise my engine makes if I don't.

If you are truly obsessive you could just disconnect the igition wire and crank the engine for 20 sections without starting it to circulate the oil, not as messy.

Pre-fill.
Horizontal filters, I fill about half way, then tip filter a bit and rotate so media soaks up oil. Then add a little more, still no FULL though, the half a second to tip and install filter I haven't lost more than a table spoon of oil, and usually not any.

Actually, this is a good one for the Mythbusters! They have done a few on automotive matters. One of the best was a pickup with the tailgate taken off and with the tailgate on. Seems the gas mileage was BETTER with the tailgate on, contrary to popular opinion. Taking the tailgate off actually creates and airfoil which increases drag.

As much as possible. My filter on the Tercel is oriented so that the open end faces down a little bit, at a slant. I cant fill it all the way. On my old Bonneville, the filter was straight up, I could fill it to the brim with oil and not spill any.

I do, on my Subaru. Easy to do, as the filter mounts vertically, with the opening on top, Interestingly, the one time I forgot to prefill the filter, I was expecting some mechanical noises at the 1st startup, but heard no clatter at startup.

It's so easy to pre-fill an oil filter with whatever amount of oil is practical that, well....even a caveman could do it.
smile.gif

I do have a motorcycle filter that is impossible to pre-load. Maybe their is an E.T. somewhere that could help me figure that one out.
ufo.gif

It's so easy to pre-fill an oil filter with whatever amount of oil is practical that, well....even a caveman could do it.

I do have a motorcycle filter that is impossible to pre-load. Maybe there is an E.T. somewhere that could help me figure that one out.

Nah. My Hyundai builds oil pressure with the bump of the starter even with a dry filter. Besides, if you bump the starter, the engine starts off idling, shouldn't the leftover additive carry you for that second or two? It isn't like the engine is "dry" even though the 1 pint filter needs a tick or two to fill. What's a modern engine pump, gallons and gallons a minute? What's that compared to a dixie-cup filter? In my car, zip.

Quote:

Actually, this is a good one for the Mythbusters! They have done a few on automotive matters. One of the best was a pickup with the tailgate taken off and with the tailgate on. Seems the gas mileage was BETTER with the tailgate on, contrary to popular opinion. Taking the tailgate off actually creates and airfoil which increases drag.

Yea, so that's why you always put oil in the filter before installing it.
laugh.gif

LS2 6.0 here (vertical filter). I've done both, and I have not noticed any difference at all at startup in either how quickly 45 psi comes up on the gauge or in sound of the engine. I agree with toocrazy on this one, the dixie-cup volume vs pump volume = no meaningful (or measurable) engine benefit/harm.

I didn't know this trick before, but have a question though. When refilling oil from the top of engine, does oil go through cylinder, oil pump, or even fill filter a little bit at least?

It's important to do and was told many years ago by an engine builder. I bet ten minute oil change shops don't bother, or do they.

i always pre-fill my filter.in my f150 the oil filter runs straight up and down so it's no problem for me.if it was sideways that would be another story!!

i think a lot of it is filter size.

if you have a pretty large filter i think it would be beneficial to fill it to build oil pressure faster, i work in at Truck shop and those filters for the big diesels can hold up to almost a gallon of oil, so of course we fill those
smile.gif

on smaller cars with a tiny filter i don't think it matters so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back