Oil handling procedures - Do you practice them?

369219283_849897353362182_7252051027502308125_n.jpg

Man, you are better than I. .3qts or 9.6oz would go into the sump as it is not going to hurt anything.
jimmurphy said:
My car has a 5.7qt fill so I always buy the 4qt jug and a single qt bottle. The extra .3 quarts gets used somewhere on something in the garage

Pretty sure he’s short a full quart at that point… 4qt jug + 1 quart = 5 quarts- .3 qt= 4.7 qts

5.7 qt sump + 4.7 quarts = 1 quart short 😱

Folks....this was to be funny.....and to show how things have changed since 1963....

I happily recycle all of my oil....

I recycle all fluids that come out of my vehicles whenever possible. I use a well, so if I dump oil/trans fluid/brake fluid on the ground, in the long run I'm just poisoning myself and my family. No thanks.

In a way, I get it. I wonder if this would be a problem. I know by todays standards this is incorrect, but I have to wonder if it would be bad for the ground. I give quite a bit of thought to the practices of old.
I'm a geologist and started my career in the environmental consulting industry looking at soil/groundwater contamination from similar albeit larger volumes of this practice. This is 100% bad haha.

I'm a geologist and started my career in the environmental consulting industry looking at soil/groundwater contamination from similar albeit larger volumes of this practice. This is 100% bad haha.
Explain a little bit. I am sure how this would be bad on an industrial level, but on the regular guy level it may be a different story.

Explain a little bit. I am sure how this would be bad on an industrial level, but on the regular guy level it may be a different story.
It's the same basic process regardless of volume...oil/petroleum products are LNAPLs (light non-aqueous phase liquids) that will float (as they are less dense than water) on the groundwater table. The groundwater moves based on the gradient and this LNAPL will eventually find its way away from the source and potentially somewhere less than desirable like your shallow well. Yes, dumping a few gallons of used oil in your backyard trap like depicted in that old drawing is unlikely to cause any issues but why do that? Plenty of folks have had water quality issues form wells contaminated with by "old farmer John" dumping crap out back of his property.

It's the same basic process regardless of volume...oil/petroleum products are LNAPLs (light non-aqueous phase liquids) that will float (as they are less dense than water) on the groundwater table. The groundwater moves based on the gradient and this LNAPL will eventually find its way away from the source and potentially somewhere less than desirable like your shallow well. Yes, dumping a few gallons of used oil in your backyard trap like depicted in that old drawing is unlikely to cause any issues but why do that? Plenty of folks have had water quality issues form wells contaminated with by "old farmer John" dumping crap out back of his property.
I agree that it should not be done.

I clean the funnel with water and a shop towel. I then spray it out with brake clean no matter how clean the funnel looked to insure there's no fibers from the rag

Back