do you load a new filter w/oil before installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on my girlfriends' chrysler sebring 2.7 the oil filter is verticle and i usually always fill the oil filter first then install. but recently i forgot to prime the oil filter and when i started the car there was No difference in sounds, and the oil light didnt even stay on for 1 sec.

The Generation Three... not some lowly Generation One or Two, GMC Vortech engine has a vertical placement for the filter wherein the opening faces the sun and/or moon above, allowing the oil changer to fill the new filter to the chin of its brimmy brim brim with new oil.

And I do it. Forgot to a couple times but heard no creepy noises at initial start-up but still ain't a thing wrong with pre-filling.

Its too much of a mess for me to do it.

I just make sure to lube the filter gasket with some used oil and make sure that the old one came off with the filter.

It seems lazy and wasteful to not accomplish such an easy part of an oil change. It only takes a few seconds, and though whether it is useful as a preventative measure may be debateable, it can only help.

Filters that are positioned on their sides or upside down, well, it's unfortunate.

Granted, filling an oil filter out of a 4 or 5 qt jug may be a challenge, but that's why they make funnels and such.

Quote:

It's so easy to pre-fill an oil filter with whatever amount of oil is practical that, well....even a caveman could do it.
smile.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Good one! I do prefill all my filters. Is there any real benefit - I don't know, but it's pretty easy to do, takes like 30 seconds, so why not?

I've never preloaded my filters and I don't have startup noise on any of my vehicles with the exception of the lifter noise I get on the Harleys. But those are horizontal and I get lifter noise on those anyway without changing the oil.

Quote:

I do have a motorcycle filter that is impossible to pre-load. Maybe their is an E.T. somewhere that could help me figure that one out.
ufo.gif

Lay the motorcycle on it's side? Hook up a block and tackle and tie a rope to the front/back wheel and hoist up that end?
grin.gif

I fill the filter about 1/3rd of the way and twirl it on its side so that all the media becomes soaked in oil. Then I install it and no oil actually drips out.

Quote:

It's so easy to pre-fill an oil filter with whatever amount of oil is practical that, well....even a caveman could do it.
smile.gif

Eight out of ten Cro-Magnons would probably find that offensive.

I used to pre-fill in the days when my cars took canister filters, and if the filter loaded with the open end generally up. Now, on my MB, the cartridge filter is open. Pouring oil into the cartridge case just drains into the engine. And pouring oil over the open filter media, well, I don't even want to think about the mess that would create.

I don't change my Eao filter until the 5th oil change, so I guess you can say I prefill my filter. I notice however, that when I do change the filter (no prefill), the oil light just winks on and off. I like the

Quote:

Harry when you say you reuse the Eao filter do you mean you never take it off or do you take it off and dump the old oil out of it and reuse it?

Harry, what you doing?

That's what I've done and will continue to do when running a filter thru multiple OCs.

This procedure has given me good results when using a premium filter like Amsoil or Mobil 1 and not putting on mega miles.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back