Do you live with a narcisist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JGmazda
Yes, agree with the above post. It's a rough road to follow!
From the article below - https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...710/the-survival-guide-living-narcissist
"Narcissists lack "object constancy:" In essence, this means that the moment that your narcissistic mate feels something negative, it disrupts the positive connection between you, and everything positive flies out the window. Your whole positive history with them and everything nice that you have ever done for them is now totally out of their awareness. You are left wondering how this can happen: one minute your mate is totally loving and the two of you are so happy, the next minute your mate hates you."

100% accurately describes my ex-wife, perfectly.

Problem I see over and over.....

Some people would rather be in a miserable, toxic relationship than to be alone and call it quits.

I understand some people can't just walk away from their situation.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules

Please, tell me more about my experience and how I should feel about it.

For starters, i wasn't telling you how you should anything... and secondly, you brought it up. Maybe next time if you don't want/like people making commentary on your private life, maybe you should consider keeping it...private....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

For starters, i wasn't telling you how you should anything... and secondly, you brought it up. Maybe next time if you don't want/like people making commentary on your private life, maybe you should consider keeping it...private....

Well, genius, the OP specifically asked for people's experience living with a narcissist: "My question is what are you experiences with living with one, or having one in the family, or even friends that are one?"

He asked, I told. Like you said, you're not a psychologist. You don't have relevant experience with narcissists. Why on Earth are you even commenting on this post, much less injecting your lack of knowledge into my comments? Go be a jerk on a thread you actually know something about.
wink.gif

My mother was a narcissist. As a child you don't realize what is going on, as that is all you have ever known. As you become a young adult it starts to become apparent. For me, realization set in when i became a parent, and reflected back, and also realized how misaligned the behavior is.

When i said it's not their fault. I don't mean their physical actions, of course that is under their control. What i mean is, their brains are not wired like ours. They feel the need to manipulate people. They don't know how to interact otherwise.

They do not have much empathy, at least my mother did not. It was just not in her brain. Its not an emotion they have. So that is not their fault. Their brain is just not like everyone else.

The do things for other people but not for them, for their own image control. The tend to control each persons view of them. My mother would do this, but would have trouble pulling this off around several people. So she more or less was a hermit.

They will pit people against each other, and then sit back and act like the victim of the individuals they pitted against each other.

They don't know how to self examine and realize when they are wrong, they will not apologize. They don't have the capacity.

Its tough for family members, especially children when they grow up. I know i struggled with blame and anger even when she was in hospice.

They are good at making you feel guilty. And to this day i even feel guilty about my resentment of her, so its complex. In a sense i have become NUMB to the point that i dont react at all to others anger or manipulations. I developed , some would say a high pain tolerance, its more of a mental control of pain. I have had fillings and crown preps done with no numbing. As a healthcare worker I used to let new nurses/nursing students practice starting IVs on me.

The only advice i can give is, realize their brain is not right and not a lot can be done about that. No medication or therapy can make them empathetic.

If it gets abusive or unbearable, then get the toxic people out of your life.

Last edited:
Sorry you had to grow up like that. I was lucky to have a normal childhood but I was really naive so I let my ex get her hooks in me when I was in my early 20s.

Originally Posted by callbay
Best read on having a spouse that is a narcissist I have ever read.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...710/the-survival-guide-living-narcissist

My question is what are you experiences with living with one, or having one in the family, or even friends that are one? Do you have any advise for people that live with a narcissist?

Thanks a lot!

I think my stepfather has a lot of those qualities. I also think that every person has SOME traits from most disorders in the DSM, but my opinion is that unless those traits cause issiues in one's daily life, they are not of significant difficulty to warrant being used as a defining characteristic. Since these traits did cause my stepfather difficulty, I believe it safe to say he was once.

Examples:

-I and my father were blamed by him when our stepson/stepfather relationship turned poorly...nevermind that he treated my mother and I very differently after their marriage.
-He always would complain about how incompetent all of his co-workers were. He was fired from multiple jobs, and my friend's father worked with him on a limited basis. He was a well-grounded and successful person and good father. When I asked him about my stepfather, he politely concluded that the interaction had been poor and he was disappointed.
-He maxed out my mother's (excellent) credit, accruing over $50K in CC debt shortly after they married. He carried lots of debt from THREE prior marriages...all of which failed because of circumstances or the other person, per him, mind you...
-Back when I was a church-going kid, he was tasked with providing the children's story. He concocted an elaborate story with a plot far beyond what the typical age-group that was the target audience could grasp, and spent an inordinate amount of time telling said story. He was never asked again to, and I believe I recall him blaming others for his "story time" being a failure. Never once did he examine why so many others managed to pull off the daunting task of telling a church-appropriate short story that could captivate a 5-10 year old for half a dozen minutes and end with a simple but straight-forward positive note/moral/sentiment.

I realized that he was the problem, after his second job where he was let go while all of his "incompetent co-workers" somehow remained employed...I asked some very pointed questions for a 10 year old. My mother artfully dodged them with silence, which was an answer, itself. I truly believe that he felt in his heart of hearts that all of his co-workers WERE incompetent compared to himself, regardless of his continued poor performances and repeated firings which ultimately led to him being blacklisted in their area in the IT community.

There are of course other things, but in short conclusion, I would say that aside from the psych cases I deal with, he is likely the most narcissistic (everything is on a spectrum) person I've had close dealings with. I moved out of their house when I was 13, and lived with my grandparents, where by and large, I raised myself. He moved in with us due to life circumstances (moved 700mi to do so), and then shortly bought a house (well...family bought one for him...), and expected me to move back in. Legal proceedings took place, and I stayed where I was. Moving out was a very positive point in my life.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Well, genius, the OP specifically asked for people's experience living with a narcissist: "My question is what are you experiences with living with one, or having one in the family, or even friends that are one?"

He asked, I told. Like you said, you're not a psychologist. You don't have relevant experience with narcissists. Why on Earth are you even commenting on this post, much less injecting your lack of knowledge into my comments? Go be a jerk on a thread you actually know something about.
wink.gif

How do you know i don't have experience with narcissistic personality disorder? I said i wasn't a shrink, which is true I'm not, but nowhere did I say what you state i said. And I'm sorry you feel i was being a "jerk", that was not my intention. I simply meant to clarify that what you described happening to you sounded more akin to spousal abuse based on my life experiences than narcissistic personality disorder but to be fair to you (-and in retrospect), the each of them aren't exclusive to one another so i suppose this person could have been both.

Like i previously stated, if you don't want something you say in a public forum (especially something like "my ex beat me up") being critiqued or scrutinized... don't say it. ...

Enjoy your Sunday... and i mean that in all sincerity.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate some have to deal with this situation but I I think we've seen enough. Accusations and misunderstandings have cropped up so we'll close this thread.

Psychoanalysis with a professional practitioner would be much better than attempting to do this over the Internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back