Do you have good "CARma"?

The most problematic vehicle I ever had was my 05 LLY Duramax truck. Had that one flatbedded home due to fuel icing (not the trucks fault) but I had to limp that truck a few times on long trips due to failures. That motor was a turd.

Various 1999-2020 Nissan and Infiniti cars and SUVs have been extremely reliable. I put >125K on a 99 Maxima with zero issues other than oxygen sensors at around 100K miles.

2014 GMC Acadia -- creaks, rattles, wind noise. Probably 5-6 trips to dealers for warranty work in the first year. Infotainment unit failed right after warranty expired. $1,000, thank you! PS hose sprung a mild leak and caused the PS pump to make intermittent noises. Rear AC unit not cooling well enough. All this at less than 60K miles. Was looking at $3K or more in repairs, so traded it in before either problem got really bad.

Hondas -- wind noise (not leaks) from mirrors and fluttering seals on two late 90s/early 2000s Accords. Squishy brakes, similar wind noise problem, and an "limp home mode" incident with an Odyssey. Quite disappointed at the brand in general.

Ford: 2011 F150 Lariat -- very reliable for the 60K miles I owned it, except for a recall on a clunking center u-joint support. At truck prices today, I wish I still had it. Very comfortable with 10-way leather bucket seats, and it would get ~20 mpg on the highway. These days, it's probably still worth the trade-in price I got 6 years ago! 2016 Mustang GT -- still tight as a drum. No failures except the backup camera got flakey and was replaced under warranty.

My future go-to brands will be Nissan/Infiniti and Ford.

Back