Do you "flash" to warn of police patrol ahead? Speeding content and rant.

It's seems like it's never looked on favorably by the public. Think about it, think about all the technology in the world. Now ask why the same technology isnt applied to speeding. Answer, bad media attention, bad press.

There was a HUGE case involving a South Carolina town, where automated radar with video recorders were set up on overpasses of Interstate 95. It was a massive campaign that took in boatloads of money for the county or town. The cameras would record the speeding cars with the radar speed imprinted on the video and license plate. They truly were ahead of their time. People all over the northeast states were up in arms getting violation fines in the mail for speeding.

The media had a field day with it. Eventually after fighting for so long the town/county gave up and took the cameras down. So there is your answer, it's the "not in my back yard" mentality. It's great to talk about law enforcement as long as it doesnt affect "me" Its unfair if I speed and get a ticket by a machine but ok if it is by a cop (because the odds of a cop pulling you over are 1000 times less.
Not only that but people who got fined, complete with video and license plate, the county/town only sent out tickets to those traveling (just guessing I forgot) 10 or 15 MPH over the speed limit. But let the press create a media sensation over it and it's all over. The media controls us, not we the media.

ENFORCE THE LAW BUT NOT IF I AM BREAKING IT MENTALITY.
Call it hypocritical or whatever else but if I’m on a limited access highway, with weather and traffic permitting, leave me alone.

Put the speed cam in a school zone instead.

There was a HUGE case involving a South Carolina town, where automated radar with video recorders were set up on overpasses of Interstate 95.
Speed cameras (automated) were deemed unconstitutional in Ohio except in a few circumstances, a school zone being one. If a municipality chooses to continue using them, the state withholds the same amount of money they collect from tickets from the money Ohio gives cities, villages, etc. After this happened, the police obtained radar/camera guns and the officer can sit alongside a road, "point and shoot", and the system sends a speeding ticket to the vehicle owner through the mail.

It was a massive campaign that took in boatloads of money for the county or town.
A small village in Ohio made soooooo much money over the years, then was sued over it, and lost. The judge ordered the village to refund everyone what they paid in fines for their tickets. It was in the $3-4 million dollar range and would have bankrupt the village. They actually fought back and about a year ago, the Ohio supreme court closed the case (after various appeals, etc, etc) and they don't have to pay anyone back.

No need to pretend, it's become clear that the 90th percentile speed is the safest speed. The data is available, more than half a century in length, solid and irrefutable.

The fact is, in normal situations, the speed should be set at the 90th percentile. Or put another way, the speed at which 90% of the drivers never exceed when there are no limiting signs.

Furthermore, there is little to no evidence that higher speeds are more dangerous. Reckless driving is dangerous. That's a different matter.

I have to repo the 'like' a sneezing spree caused it

Speeding categorically and unequivocally IS aggressive driving.

I'm with Pew on this one. People are crazy, and I don't need to give them any excuse to turn their crazy on me.

When a truck is trying to pass or merge in front of me, I do flash to let them know they cleared my vehicle. I learned that from my grandpa.

ditto-but how many times do you get a return blink from the trucker ?, the kids these days have no class-none at all

Will anyone argue that speeding is not the common denominator for all instances of aggressive driving and road rage ?

Yeah, I think there is a strong argument that lax enforcement of actual speed limits leads to more dangerous passing moves or road rage when someone actually goes the speed limit. Probably the laws should read that the police have a duty to enforce the posted speed limit with 5mph buffer or something like that.

I often travel State highways across the desert that have a 55 MPH limit. On the winding, mountainous sections that is no problem but there are a lot of long stretches that have good visibility and it is difficult to keep one's speed below 65-70. I was ticketed for doing 71 and got a $400+ ticket so I now just set my cruise control at 57 and don't get in a hurry.

Anyway, the CHP likes to hide in certain spots and turn on their radar and nail people. I have not done it but I often see drivers coming towards me flash their lights and sure enough I will shortly see a radar unit parked where you don't see them until it is too late.

I am usually a 5 over sort of driver. One exception is Interstate, I set the cruise at 68mph. In the 25 miles of interstate on the way to my country hideaway, I get passed a lot, although it is amazing how many people end up pacing me. Not everyone is in a hurry I guess. An alternate route is a 2 lane US Hwy that parallels the Interstate, which has a 60 speed limit, with about 5 really nice long duration high speed sweepers. They are fun at 70-75mph.

I can't recall the last time I've seen a speed trap set up, so I don't ever think of flashing my lights to warn someone to slow down.

That said, I'm with Propflux1. I always get a kick out of the hypocrisy of someone who decides that for themselves, they are ok with, lets say 8 mph over. But then they get uptight with the driver who wants to pass them at 11 over, and think that person is going too fast, so they decide to be the self proclaimed "hall monitor", and won't move over to the outside lane and let the faster car pass. How did you get to be the self proclaimed expert at exactly how much over the speed limit is acceptable, and what is not?

Now, if you want to talk about drivers who are unsafe, by tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic to pass everyone, those who brake check others because they are upset that someone else was going too slow, those that drive fast in highly congested traffic. Yea, that is a problem, and imho, is unrelated to the 90% drivers, like Cujet mentioned.

4) This new political thing of driving with your brights on all the time also has reduced the opportunities to be a helpful-to-your-fellow-motorists as the intended message could only be sent by dipping your beam. THe oncoming speeder you're trying to help won't know what you're doing.

I'm not familiar with this. Please elaborate for the ignorant, like me.

Speed cameras (automated) were deemed unconstitutional in Ohio except in a few circumstances, a school zone being one. If a municipality chooses to continue using them, the state withholds the same amount of money they collect from tickets from the money Ohio gives cities, villages, etc. After this happened, the police obtained radar/camera guns and the officer can sit alongside a road, "point and shoot", and the system sends a speeding ticket to the vehicle owner through the mail.

A small village in Ohio made soooooo much money over the years, then was sued over it, and lost. The judge ordered the village to refund everyone what they paid in fines for their tickets. It was in the $3-4 million dollar range and would have bankrupt the village. They actually fought back and about a year ago, the Ohio supreme court closed the case (after various appeals, etc, etc) and they don't have to pay anyone back.
Yes, clearly this is a state issue and all states rule differently on the subject. In my reply to the OP this is the irony. Enforce the law but dont enforce it to good. Technology is used for efficiency in every aspect of private business not as much so in government business.
Ohio was a big one all over the internet and news, so was SC. About half the states (at least) use some sort of camera technology, speed/stop light cameras.

Last edited:
I can't recall the last time I've seen a speed trap set up, so I don't ever think of flashing my lights to warn someone to slow down.

That said, I'm with Propflux1. I always get a kick out of the hypocrisy of someone who decides that for themselves, they are ok with, lets say 8 mph over. But then they get uptight with the driver who wants to pass them at 11 over, and think that person is going too fast, so they decide to be the self proclaimed "hall monitor", and won't move over to the outside lane and let the faster car pass. How did you get to be the self proclaimed expert at exactly how much over the speed limit is acceptable, and what is not?

Now, if you want to talk about drivers who are unsafe, by tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic to pass everyone, those who brake check others because they are upset that someone else was going too slow, those that drive fast in highly congested traffic. Yea, that is a problem, and imho, is unrelated to the 90% drivers, like Cujet mentioned.
There is a speed trap on the interstate near my house. I pass it often. It's kind of funny that all us regular drivers slow from 80 down to 70 by habit as we approach it. I don't need any traffic tickets so I will only go about 80 or 85 in a 65 zone. There are enough vehicles going 90+ to keep the cops busy.

Call it hypocritical or whatever else but if I’m on a limited access highway, with weather and traffic permitting, leave me alone.

Put the speed cam in a school zone instead.
They do that too, but it's all state dependent on what is allowed. Here is NYC, you can click on each category. My other post above also has a story on speed cameras in work zones New York

Doing the speed limit or less winds up gathering tailgaters, which is more unsafe than doing a few MPH over the limit. Out rural roads are heavily patrolled, so I always use cruise control, set 3-5 MPH over the limit (depending on the posted limit). For freeways I set the cruise control to 8 MPH over. Never have to worry about getting pulled over.

I do not flash others a warning when I see a trap. I have no interest in assisting others speeding through our little mountain village.

I have been flashing morons who don't have their headlights on in inclement or very low-visibility weather. Add this to the many cars that are "muddy grey" in colour, they blend right into the road surface - it just insanely dangerous driving.

I say this as I was passing on a long wide "open" highway just before dawn, in the allowed passing zone - suddenly an oncoming vehicle became visible right in front of me in the opposite lane - closing at an estimated combined 120 MPH!

They pulled in to the wide - and luckily, open - breakdown RH lane; I had absolutely no time to do any correction.
That oncoming car had no lights on - None! Somehow we passed by each other with no wreck.

Suffice to say, I was late to work - now and then - since that day.

I used to give flashes to warn drivers of "stealthy" traps - if I like their car and driving!
Now with the abundance of bad and aggressive drivers everywhere, every day, I am very less apt to do so.

I did flash multiple oncoming cars just the other day for a loose dog wandering in and near the road.

Last edited:
I used to flash in the past when there was a trap. In recent years the crazy drivers have gone seemingly exponentially bad so I no longer flash. They deserve to have their behavior modified with a ticket.

I'm not familiar with this. Please elaborate for the ignorant, like me.
I think it pertains to the Bro-dozers, lifted trucks and Wranglers with an entire catalog's worth of aftermarket LED lighting on their vehicle. Apparently, the more money spent on lighting the more frequently they have to drive with it all turned on. To get their money's worth obviously.

Never heard of it. As far as I recall, the reason for flashing would be to indicate an intent to overtake a slower vehicle ahead or to try to alert someone that headlights aren’t on.

I ho
I'm looking for the video now, but pro-police will generally say it is a "threat to officer safety" in trying to alert someone to their presence, OR interpret it as an emergency situation inside the car and you were trying to flag down assistance/police assistance. I've seen both these logics used. I can illustrate it if I find the certain specific JSO Speed Trap video, where the guy expressly does this and records the interaction...

All I have to say, beyond that, is: 1. Haven't seen people do that that often, though if I see it a few times.. I'll slow up, as this used to be common practice to flash the brights to warn of a cop up ahead. (If the cops see you do it it is illegal in some places, tricky how they word it but Improper Use of Equipment or something. Same way you can be charged with Improper Use of a Horn.)

2. Waze.

Use Waze.

Found the video. His flashing to warn motorists got him pulled. About 30 seconds in he starts the flashing, there is minimal filler before the results of said flashing. (Florida/Duval County/JSO)

I hope the driver reported this waste of flesh.

Most speed traps are glorified tax collection. They could accomplish the same thing by simply parking an empty patrol car on the side of the road. People driving 5-10 mph in the city (neighborhoods notwithstanding) and 10-15 over on the freeway are not the problem.

Back