Do you explore new music?

I use my Apple Music account to explore for new music all the time. The best way that I’ve found is to ask Siri to “play me some music” and it pulls up a personalized radio station based off of your listening history, likes/dislikes, and skips. The station will give me about 50-75% previous music that I’ve liked or listened to, 15-25% music from artists that I like but haven’t heard before, and 10-25% brand new music and artists to me. I’m quite impressed with Apple’s algorithms so far and it sure beats the pants off of Slacker and Pandora’s algorithms; they would pigeonhole me to like four artists and never try to broaden my taste at all.

Only downside to Apple’s algorithm is that it will occasionally try stuff that is way outside my range of music taste and after a few “dislikes”, the algorithm will go super conservative and only give me previously liked artists for a solid day or two.

When I discover a new artist using my personalized station, I will often drill into the artists other albums and often look at Apple’s “similar artists/album” recommendations. I find a lot of new music that way.

Don't know how old is the average bitoger but i'm 27 and 90% of the music that made me pick up the guitar and that i listen to is 70's and 80's. That said i like many modern acts but if you think about it they're just replicating what's been done with a modern touch.

In music threads, it seems like a lot of members here are older guys that post YouTube clips of bands from 35 plus years ago.
Plus older people often say "I don't like todays music" or "Todays music sucks". The funny thing is that your parents most likely
didn't like your music you liked as a teenager and thought the same way you think today.
There is nothing wrong with it. I guess part of aging does it to us.

Do you explore new music? - As best I can.

Plus older people often say "I don't like todays music" or "Todays music sucks". - Every decade has music I like and music I dislike, I am sure that is the same for everyone. I will say the ratio of new music I like to new music I dislike is getting smaller in each decade. It has already been mentioned about auto-tune, that is a very popular effect that I will never like so that excludes a massive segment of today's music for me.

The funny thing is that your parents most likely didn't like your music you liked as a teenager and thought the same way you think today. - Right and I am very cognizant of that and don't want to be that guy. I have gone way farther than my parents in terms of keeping with the times. They were born in the 30's and hated pretty much everything beyond the 1950's so yeah it was a tough row for me to hoe playing my stuff at home or in their car on family trips. I was born in the 60's and am pretty solid in really liking plenty of new music up to the 2010's at least. I have my decade preferences, of course, but I can certainly single out music and styles I really like from almost every decade I have been alive. I give everything a fair shake, I hope.

Definitely. @DriveHard has recommended some stuff that is new to me recently for example. I also find myself following the Youtube "suggestions" when I go to share something on here.

I gravitate toward heavier music most of the time but also listen to classical, country, rock...etc.

Three things are important for me:
- Good lyrics
- Good music
- Good singing

I can usually tolerate one of those things missing if the other two are good. Some stuff is the total package though. I was recently introduced to Nightwish by another board member and I've gone soooo far down that rabbit hole..... Floor Jansen (their current singer) is absolutely incredible. The lyrics are fantastic, the music is amazing, so it just knocks my socks off. Their previous singer (Anette) was more of a "pop" singer so while she wouldn't be my choice, the songs still meet the other two criteria. Their original singer, Tarja, is extremely operatic; clearly talented, but lacks the versatility/flexibility that Floor brings.

So if a song is "ooo ooo baby baby" set to a wholly computer generated backing, I'm not going to like it. If it's "drugs drugs, smoke weed, abuse promiscuous women" set to something an 8 year old could make in Garage Band, I'm not going to be into that either and the same goes for songs about genitals getting aroused for shock value that again, bring very little to the table in terms of musical content. On the other hand, if it's Amy Lee sitting there on a stool nailing every single note to a song she wrote about the experience of getting completely overwhelmed by emotion with nothing more than an acoustic played beside her? Sign me up.

Plus older people often say "I don't like todays music" or "Todays music sucks".
As mentioned above, the human element has been computerized out of much of today's music. Listened to a song recently and all I could hear was the absurd, endlessly and perfectly repeating computerized drums. I won't mention the song, due to it's, er, ah, "modern" nature.

I'm no drummer, but even I know that can't be done by a human drummer, shouldn't be done as it's too monotonous, and quite simply is missing that human element.

And, YES!! I like some of today's young artists. A lot.

Oh and as mentioned above, many of yesterday's originals were often not all that great. No Quarter comes to mind. Tool's cover is far better than Ted Zeppln's version [sarc]

Back