Do you explore new music?

I am a child of the 80's, so that is what I gravitate towards, but having teenagers exposes me to new music as well.
Some of what they listen to I think is garbage, but some of it is pretty good.

If I have to choose music, it tends to be a very small group of artists, but I recently got a Spotify family account (make each of the kids pay for half, so i get it for free :) ) and have started exploring some newer music on my own. Problem is when I listen to the music, I am riding my bike, so no way to see who it is or make it a favorite, but some songs tend to pop back up on occasion.

I’ve been listening to more records I’ve found at sales lately. Older as in 50’s to 70’s music is better

I will listen to most anything (except country that is depressing) - but I find it so frustrating that with evolving technology, the recording quality continues to degrade. I'll hear a new song on the radio that sounds fine in my truck, but when I buy the CD and listen to it in my theater, it is just garbage. It's like songs are just recorded to be blasted at a dance club, or background music. I would rather listen to a well recorded song that I don't especially like as compared to poorly recorded song that rocks. I guess that is what streaming services and crap headphones are for...at least when I am at the gym

I'm in my 60's and am constantly open to new music. I may be in the minority among those my age, but the classic hits I loved in my youth bore me now - I've just heard them too many times. I have at times "discovered" earlier or later works by groups of that time frame that I really like (because they're fresh to my ears). An example would be the last couple of Queen albums. Also, only recently listened to early Roxy Music - very good, but then I'm an Eno fan.

In general, modern popular music has nothing that interests me. Probably due to the sameness of it all (Rick Beato has described how they follow a set beat, chord progression because that's what sells). In general, modern mainstream is just marketed "singers" - no bands, few actually write or play.

I like almost every type of music, but nowhere close to everything in a given genre. I listened to a bunch of New Orleans "busker" type music last summer, mostly "Tuba Skinny".

Edit: Forgot to add that I really developed a lot of new tastes for music I " found" back in the Napster period (Aphex Twin, The Orb, Orbital...). Now it's easy to hunt out new sounds on the internet (shout out to SomaFM).

My tastes change over time. I'll probably click on the ones in this thread, see what is new out there.

Used to love hard rock, lately have drifted towards EDM. I tend to listen mostly while at work, and tend to prefer stuff with a strong beat but isn't too engaging--the goal is to work, not drift off. I don't listen to music while driving and tend not to when working around the house... but 8 hours in the office (err basement) is still lots of music time.

At 50, rarely do I encounter new music that I like. Even rarer do I hear something that I actually buy. I'm very much stuck in mid-80s thru very early 90s.

Wow, between the last post I made and this one, I am going to sound like an old man - "get off my lawn"!!!!

I just don't get all the auto-tune music today. It seems like more than ever before the industry is selling a lifestyle or a sex symbol - talent not required. I think I would like some of the newer music if the singers actually sang, and it was well recorded.

Born in 48 I still explore new moozic and raise the roof!!!

Moozic Non Stop is the name of my custom built sound system. With 32
drivers powered by 1000 watts it sports a neighborhood irritability
factor of 10... Its a reproduction of my live concert experiences
where I was free to move about and settle in the proverbial sweet
spot... consequently I'm always auditioning not only new moozic but
also material that demonstrates great engineered sound... so far I
have recorded 4 CDs worth of great sounds... since 1994 I audition
about 100 of tunes a month in hopes of finding just one tune with
that excellent sound quality engineering that really stands out...
stop on by someday and soak up some sound... you might be pleased...

tQCLw0Q.jpg

Last edited:
Born in 48 I still explore new moozic and raise the roof!!!

Moozic Non Stop is the name of my custom built sound system. With 32
drivers powered by 1000 watts it sports a neighborhood irritability
factor of 10... Its a reproduction of my live concert experiences
where I was free to move about and settle in the proverbial sweet
spot... consequently I'm always auditioning not only new moozic but
also material that demonstrates great engineered sound... so far I
have recorded 4 CDs worth of great sounds... since 1994 I audition
about 100 of tunes a month in hopes of finding just one tune with
that excellent sound quality engineering that really stands out...
stop on by someday and soak up some sound... you might be pleased...

tQCLw0Q.jpg

Interesting choices in components...care to comment why? Is that two separate systems, or mains, center, and surround? Any traces on frequency response? How low do those JBL's go?

Interesting choices in components...care to comment why? Is that two separate systems, or mains, center, and surround? Any traces on frequency response? How low do those JBL's go?

All the components and speakers work in concert as my version of
surround sound...

I started with a pair of Bose 601 which are 2 X 8 inch and 4 X 3 inch
speakers... To match the 601 timber and tone as the sound moved around
the room I wired a pair of 301 1 X 8 inch and 2 X 3 inch speakers as
Bose 602...

I ordered 6 Bose 301 through my local USAF Base Exchange and because
of the low price and no tax I had sign an "no resell" agreement...
When I picked them up the Bose area rep was still suspicious... Come
visit and see for yourself I offered... The rep walks in counting the
speakers... He wanted to know if I lived alone or was married??? then
he confessed that Bose had a Devil of a time marketing a full size
system to the consumers because all though they wish to hear large
sound they don't wish to see large speakers that clashed with the spouse's
motif...

JBL's are rated 35 Hz to 81 Hz

The only trace frequency response I have to share is from the brochure...

Bose601 (6).jpg

Last edited:
The music today is made to fit a strict template. It is called the millennial 'whoop' because of the repetitive fillers. Yep, it sucks. I think the test of how good music is time. Will it still be around and popular in thirty or forty years? Here's clip of bluegrass that's been around probably since the civil war. Kids playing with verve.

Just discovered this and enjoying . A shame :( . Knew of him , but never looked into his music until now .

Back