Do you drink filtered water

I used to buy bottled water but now I just use my fridge filtered water. Easier and cheaper than going to the store and trying to navigate a cart past people.

Do you drink water that had been filtered through some means or straight out of the tap?
I drink water that has gone through a carbon filter in my fridge to reduce possible contaminants and I keep up on filter changes.
I generally avoid bottled water for various reasons.
I read that you don't want the water that has been sitting in the refrig filter overnight as it might pick up contaminates from things the filter has caught. However that's part of the cold water the refrig has stored.

Nope right out of the tap. The water here in Louisville is rated very high in quality..I have no problem drinking it...
I have operated two smaller community water treatment plants. They meet the guidelines for EPA drinking water. But that does not mean the water is pure. I would never drink the water from the one system that I used to operate.

I also know of one large metropolitan system where the water plant operators refuse to drink the water. They actually keep bottled water in a fridge.

Last edited:
I have operated two smaller community water treatment plants. They meet the guidelines for EPA drinking water. But that does not mean the water is pure. I would never drink the water from the one system that I used to operate.
If you do a google on the Louisville Water Company you will see that each year they are rated as one of the best for water quality and taste..

speaking of water filters...

what do you guys think of those homemade terra cotta pot filters?
I wonder what they do and do not filter out of the water?

Filtre_eau_c_ramique_Sch_ma_filtre.jpg

The EPA says water needs to be drawn from consumer taps at least for contaminants - such as lead or dioxins, etc.

Who's consumer tap is a most excellent question.

Tap close to the plant - you get lots of chlorine and even sometime carbon fines.
Too far away - microbial growth, rust, sediment /sand.

Bunch of guys I know work for the local water district here.
The big joke among themselves when someone screws up is " someone needs to call the state"

By and large the water workers I know do awesome work keeping everyone safe, but even in the city I put a basic line of defense at the point of entry for accidents and if mistakes get made.

I have seen a few places where you can fill your water jug via a pipe sticking out of rock on the side of a mountain.

I live in the shadow of Shenandoah National Park here in Virginia and this (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.663...T_dtvK2WKcj-gmiw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu) used to be just that. I'm 41 and remember from when I was a kid seeing people there all the time filling their jugs. It was just a pipe sticking out of that masonry structurue, constantly flowing water. Probably 30 or so years ago it was capped with concrete and rock.

Tap close to the plant - you get lots of chlorine and even sometime carbon fines.
Too far away - microbial growth, rust, sediment /sand.

Bunch of guys I know work for the local water district here.
The big joke among themselves when someone screws up is " someone needs to call the state"

By and large the water workers I know do awesome work keeping everyone safe, but even in the city I put a basic line of defense at the point of entry for accidents and if mistakes get made.
Some still have fluoride …

can someone please give some recommendations to a grade A Luddite like myself what would be wise to look for in the fridge water filters?

I have an LG fridge and have bought the filters on amazon the cheap ones. So I’m sure they’re not great. But what can one look for? Perhaps genuine LG filter is best? Maybe I need to make sure I have a nitrile Anti “drink-back” valve? Ha

But genuinely curious. Thanks.

If you do a google on the Louisville Water Company you will see that each year they are rated as one of the best for water quality and taste..
That is great to have such high quality water unlike many millions of other people. However there is a difference between high quality and purified water.
Not trying to be contentious but just saying there is a difference.

Don't forget your shower. When showering your skin, your body's largest organ, absorbs some of the chemicals in the water. I forget the equivalent amount of water you'd have to drink to get the same exposure as you would from taking a shower. The load was considerable. Maybe don't shower. 😝 I spend a lot of time in the ocean. I get pickled in red algae and probably raw sewage in my wet and tri-suit. Not worried about chemicals from taking a shower.

Some still have fluoride …
Thats just one of the injected components. There is all kinds of stuff in city water.
speaking of water filters...

what do you guys think of those homemade terra cotta pot filters?
I wonder what they do and do not filter out of the water?

View attachment 202827

Never seen or heard of these, but Im sure it works to some extent.

At some point do you dispose of the upper unit?

At home, straight from the tap (municipal water). In the camper, the water goes through a basic Camco filter at the hose bib and then there is an additional charcoal filter in the kitchen that is used for drinking water. Never quite know what you'll get at a campsite, although I will drink it from the tap obsessionally. (Of course, that is still through the one filter)

Back