Do you "correct" your service technician or not?

They all try to upsell, sometimes techs will get a bit lazy and try to upsell based off mileage points. For example, they might look at a car with 50,000 miles and say you need a tranny service or whatever...even though you just did it. They may not actually look at the tranny fluid. This happens.

Something like power steering fluid? They probably assume no one ever changes it or even looks at it, so when it gets to a certain mileage point it can be very easy to mistakingly think the car needs it. These guys are moving fast, they see cars every second of the day - sometimes they lose sight of things like care, or the customer - it just becomes a number.

On the other hand some places are just pushy and will sell you things you don’t need.

Just tell them you will take care of those additional services at a later date and have them fix/repair/replace what you want to have done today.

I just did it to my indy. He started ranting about the oil separator on the car which was reverse threaded. I told him it was probably because it spins one way and if it wasn't reverse threaded, it'd probably come loose. That's why certain things are reverse threaded, I figured he knew that.

Back