Do you "correct" your service technician or not?

When I've been at the dealer for warranty stuff, they frequently try to upsell me on $90 cabin filters and $120 brake fluid flushes. once when I declined the service writer wouldn't let up - kept insisting that I needed a brake fluid flush on a 2 year old car. I have a Power Motive bleeder; told him that it had already been flushed - he continued to tell me that I didn't do it correctly. fine. gave him one star on the service satisfaction survey. service manager called to tell me that I was unfair to his service write - that this would cost the writer. whatever. I will never buy their brand or from that dealer again.

So I worked at a tire chain one winter, doing a lot of $16.95 oil changes, that come with the complementary 80 point inspection.

And we had to do that inspection on everything, except Enterprise fleet cars, because we knew they "wouldn't bite" and they were pretty new anyway.

The job paid 1/2 hour, the inspection went unpaid. So the incentive was in place to blow through it and hit the high notes.

If I found "serious work" the master tech would get it and I'd get another oil change. If I found an air filter or wiper blades I'd get the 1/10 hour to remedy that.

The service writer was incentivized by daily gross, not net, so slamming the $16.95 changes through met his metric.

The metrics are driven by corporate. We had this litmus paper you were supposed to drop brake fluid on. Who uses a fresh glove for that dip? Not that many.

The informed customer can and should ask for the multi-point to be skipped, and ask if it exists. The tech will be thankful as it's a fool's errand.

PS half the cars were perfect, 45% were hoopties with 20 problems that were still ignored this time around. Only about 5%, I'd find something, and the owner would be receptive to dealing with the issue.

Took the Trail Blazer in to dealer for routine service and when checking out a young guy came out with a test tube of red fluid with particles in it and said it came from my auto trans. I loudly said what? I paid for that last time in. He did an about face and disappeared. The writer I was dealing with never missed a beat. Left but came back when I forgot my keys and there`s the test tube kid trying to pull the ruse on someone else. I grabbed my keys and said really? That customer said no.

Upsells are just part of the game: like the Toyota service writer trying to talk me into getting my manual transmission flushed(!).
But then I once went to a Firestone, recommended by a friend, with one busted CV boot (I spotted when changing oil).
Writer comes and tells me it has TWO busted CV boots!
Is it worth the nuisance to prove they ripped the other 17 y.o. boot?
No more chain shops for me, recommended or not!

Originally Posted by 928
I knew a Tech at a MBZ dealer- the service mgr, on commission told him there is $1000 upsell per car- find it

Oh maybe that's why every time I go they find 4-5k worth of stuff to do. But some of that is brakes and tires which they really overprice. Usually if it's 1k, I can get my indy to do it for $150-$300 including parts. They still offer $150 off $300+ service so I get firmware updates from them using that and then they find other stuff to suggest.

When I replaced 2 tires on one of my cars about 1.5 years ago the other 2 were still in good condition. About 6K miles ago I went to get the tires rotated since the 2 I bought came with lifetime balancing and rotation and they said the other two were ready to be replaced even though they never gauged them and they had about 7/32nds tread left. I told them no thank you. I just took the car back a few hundred miles ago for another tire rotation. The person who did the pre inspection this time said those 2 tires were getting worn down but, didn't need replacing yet. I guess another 5-6K miles of driving put a little meat back on those tires. I just checked the tread depth a few weeks ago and as I remember it was still about 6 32nds. I suspect I'll get at least 15-20K miles from those tires after I was first told they needed to be replaced. When I do need to replace those tires they won't sell me new ones because, I got a great deal on 2 new ones awhile back and already have them in my storage building just waiting to be installed.

Years ago I took a car in for a free tire rotation. They came in and said I needed new tie rod ends. I had just checked the front end a few days prior so I told them no. I drove that car about another 100K miles and never replaced the tie rod ends.

When I go to any places for an oil change, etc. I tell them exactly what I want done and list a number of things that don't need 'attention' as I check my vehicle quite often. Going by mileage or time is ridiculous for people that actually take care of their ride. I even suggest to them to not bother with adjusting tire psi as I check/adjust (if needed based on weather, etc.) every 3-4 weeks year round.

I guess if I had to take it somewhere and they suggested I fix something that I know is good, I’d just say no thanks. I did that __ miles ago.

Keep in mind, most of their customer base is just the opposite of you. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t even check things like the air filter and by default, say it needs replaced. They probably just go by mileage and maybe any records from previous services if they have any. Not saying I agree with them, but I’m sure 9/10 times they are replacing something that needs it and it’s an easy money maker.

If you were to go into a dealer/ shop and say you wanted only ______ replaced and tell them a look over isn’t necessary. That could be a good thing to fall back onto when they try to sell you something.

I put myself in their shoes. They usually assume that nothing has been done with the vehicle since the last time they saw you. For many car owners, this is a fair assumption. (Not for the likes of us, of course.) Even if some maintenance item is not quite ready to be replaced, they are also assuming you won't be back on time for the next service, which is also a fair assumption for many owners.

I don't get all huffy with the "did you EVEN LOOK to see that I obviously don't need pads/car battery/S-belt/whatever". I just politely decline everything I know is good, I might then ask why the stuff I haven't checked lately needs servicing, or just make a mental note to check it out myself. I usually just leave with only the service performed that I came there for, but on occasion I throw them a bone and let them replace a cabin air filter or something not too crazy pricey.

Now if they pulled a trick like PontiacHO reported, running down the battery and then wanting to replace it, they would get an earful.

The last time I really went off on a service writer is almost ten years ago, when I declined an engine check on a tire purchase... and they checked it anyway... and left the air cleaner lid removed. I noticed the induction noise immediately, pulled over, put it back together, and got on the cell phone to let the service writer know why I would never be back. Tire shops are a dime a dozen around here, no need to remediate a basic competency issue.

A few months ago when I had the teen driver curb incident, I picked up my car at quitting time and noticed the replacement tire was completely flat. I went in and asked them to fix it, 2 guys had to stay late to jack, pull, diagnose, fix, and replace the wheel. I was late picking up my kid, they were late for whatever, and I thanked them for staying late. The issue was a bad TPMS valve kit, they put another on the sensor and it was good to go. That can happen to anyone, no sense in breaking bad and being an ass about it.

I dealt with that stuff too before I had access to a shop I took my truck to Firestone for tires because that is the only place that could get them in that size at the time and they told me oh you need a new battery which I didn’t that battery is still going today it is from 2014 when the previous owner had it it’s an Interstate battery. And they said the whole front suspension needs to be redone and I declined and they said well we can’t do tires without doing all of that because it will make the tires wear funny because you need an alignment and so I told them give me the keys and I left. Went to Sam’s Club to get my tires and didn’t have an issue the only issue I have with Sam’s is they use anti-seize on the lug nuts which I have always been told not to do. I asked them not too and they said it is their policy to do it.

I was a Manager at a chain store. Yes we had quotas, we were expected to have an upsale on each car that came in, especially BG flushes. If a car came in for a 17.99 oil change we where expected to upsell at least 250.00. We had to try to sell BG on everything, even on brand new cars where the OEM specifically stated not to use oil additives. I was so disappointed with the dishonesty and preying on peoples lack of knowledge on vehicles. What was worse we would write up a huge "recommended" services ticket then if the customer couldnt afford this nonsense ticket we would try to sell them on the shyster Credit where they get low monthly payments and end up payind double. Its all about the shop making money, screw the customer. I would not upsell crap and was honest with my customers and was rewarded by being fired...but at least at the end of each day I knew that what I did was right and I will never take advantage of people's lack of automotive knowledge. Avoid chain shops and stealerships like the plague, that "free" multi point inspection is a ploy to upsell uneeded and un warranted repairs.

This IS upselling......they are hoping you just say, "ok, do those things as well". He just didn't ask. Standard procedure at many garages.....makes a lot of money for them. If I had a service guy do that (I don't have a guy as I do all myself)....but if I did, I would NOT return. Find yourself an
"honest" shop and stick with them. A few years back, in the midst of buying a new home, I needed brakes. My brother has a shop and used them. They were fantastic, would use again even though they are 15 miles away.

I had one other time when on a new car, I couldn't budge the oil filter off. Brought it to Walmart for an oil change. Upon picking up, they said they load tested my battery and it was bad. The car had 9000 miles on it. I was kind of pissed as they had to take off the battery clamp on one terminal to test it. The car was basically brand new....the battery was still in the car 5 years later.

Now my 3rd story is epic. My then wife had a minor fender bender. We are in the midst of a divorce (so I am a bit ornery). She brings the car to a shop and in addition to the body work, we ask the tires be rotated. 25k miles on the car, tires still good for another 30k. Shop calls ex wife says we cannot rotate those tires at that thread depth and then quote $800 for new tires. She calls me....and remember, I am already ornery from our divorce. Man I chewed that guy out.....then proceeded to smoke that place on an internet review site. I can laugh looking back now.

Last edited:
I usually look through the window from the waiting room with a stern look on my face and do a lot of pointing and frowning at the tech.
Occasionally, I'll mouth ,"You're not doing it right!" They appreciate it because it keeps them on their toes and helps them grow. So far, only one tech has relieved himself inside one of my vehicles which I think speaks volumes.

I put myself in their shoes. They usually assume that nothing has been done with the vehicle since the last time they saw you. For many car owners, this is a fair assumption. (Not for the likes of us, of course.) Even if some maintenance item is not quite ready to be replaced, they are also assuming you won't be back on time for the next service, which is also a fair assumption for many owners.

I don't get all huffy with the "did you EVEN LOOK to see that I obviously don't need pads/car battery/S-belt/whatever". I just politely decline everything I know is good, I might then ask why the stuff I haven't checked lately needs servicing, or just make a mental note to check it out myself. I usually just leave with only the service performed that I came there for, but on occasion I throw them a bone and let them replace a cabin air filter or something not too crazy pricey.

Now if they pulled a trick like PontiacHO reported, running down the battery and then wanting to replace it, they would get an earful.

The last time I really went off on a service writer is almost ten years ago, when I declined an engine check on a tire purchase... and they checked it anyway... and left the air cleaner lid removed. I noticed the induction noise immediately, pulled over, put it back together, and got on the cell phone to let the service writer know why I would never be back. Tire shops are a dime a dozen around here, no need to remediate a basic competency issue.

A few months ago when I had the teen driver curb incident, I picked up my car at quitting time and noticed the replacement tire was completely flat. I went in and asked them to fix it, 2 guys had to stay late to jack, pull, diagnose, fix, and replace the wheel. I was late picking up my kid, they were late for whatever, and I thanked them for staying late. The issue was a bad TPMS valve kit, they put another on the sensor and it was good to go. That can happen to anyone, no sense in breaking bad and being an ass about it.
I get it.....I try to be nice and "politely decline" but you have to realize, they ARE preying on the most weak and vulnerable in society. Think about how many women (and some men) you know that haven't a clue. It's just plain wrong.

I have. Took my Saturn in for a warranty repair back in the day. Fuel filter replacement was at 60,000 miles by the book (yes, it had a replaceable filter in the fuel line). They try upselling me a fuel filter replacement at 30,000 miles, because "the fuel tanks get rusty around here because of the road salt". I confirm he's talking about the fuel tank on the car, which he does. So, I politely ask him how PLASTIC fuel tank gets rusty and clogs the filter from the inside, and how many clogged fuel filters do they actually see, since the manufacturer seems confident that 60,000 miles is an acceptable interval. He got quiet and stopped talking.

Few years back took my trusted 2009 Tacoma to a local well respected indie shop for a state inspection. Tech comes out to waiting room to tell me I needed new front coilovers as they were leaking oil on the underside of truck.
I had just replaced the struts with Bilsteins 5100 3-4 years ago and they were like new. Only put 5-7k miles a year on vehicle so hardly driven. Never had a problem with them years later. The oil he was referring to was my annual oil spray on the underside for corrosion protection. Geesh!! Never went back there again!

Last edited:
Whenever I see a thread like this I'm always reminded of the time my wife took her old Cavalier to Sleazy Lube and at the same time they screwed up her drain plug and attempted to fix it with glue, they also tried to sell her a timing belt change on a car that doesn't have one.

As everyone has stated, upselling... The tech honestly probably didn't look and just assumed by mileage. The auto repair field has so many questionable facilities out there, that the honest ones have a very difficult time making it and being trusted. This also shows how people should understand their car more as well. They don't have to become automotive experts, but if they spend all the money on a car, but are too lazy to keep track of maintenance, then they will get taken advantage of. Read the owners manual, read the forums, talk to trusted friends, understand your vehicle to know what is best for it. I have seen cars same brand/model/years have very different needs state to state/region to region. Sounds like the OP knows their car and good thing they do, saved some money not getting services they don't need.

Just a question on thoughts about situations that seem to keep happening to me.

Just like a lot of you, I'm pretty meticulous about the maintenance of my cars. I have a spreadsheet for each and log as much info as I can.

While a vehicle was in for a little suspension work (which is above my ability), the technician noted items like the following: power steering fluid dirty - needs changed, air filter dirty - needs changed, and cabin filter dirty - needs changed. I d/f the PS every OC and the last time that was done was about 2k ago. I only have 15k on both the filters in question. I would have questioned the tech and the report had the shop tried to sell me those services, but they didn't even ask. Do you think the tech even looked? Or do they use different indicators than I do? I did check the PS fluid after and I would rate it as "clean".

I had a dealership tell me my oil needed changed 200 miles after I put in a synthetic and a PureOne. But they did that to try and sell me service. I've never been back.

I also question why my filters are looked at when I'm in there for some suspension work. Seems like a waste of their time. They did not bill me for that "checkup", but I have no idea if they do that to others. Always a reputable shop to me, so I'm not mad, I just don't understand.

Thanks to all.
Dude is most likely flat rate and Probably just filled it out that way by default so the service writer could sell it and get him some hours. Chances are the service writer was intelligent enough to realize you aren’t an easy mark.

Back