Do you consider a Sportster to be a "chick" bike..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I know a woman that rides a Vulcan 2000 (2053 cc V-twin). I don't think she's manly...in fact, she's very feminine. Likewise, I don't think a Sportster (883 or 1200) is a chick bike. I actually like the looks of the 1200 Night-something....looks more retro than most. Ride what you like, and like what you ride, otherwise, a lot of pleasure is lost.

I went to the Tennessee HOG Rally in Nashville this year and they closed course Chapter Challenge (where they basically ride a similar course as used in the MSF training course) was ridden bu a lot of "chicks" using mostly Road Kings with a few on Heritage Soft Tails. One lady in particular was 61 years old on her Heritage Classic. Only one to use a Sporty was a young man on an 883. Just so you will know why, it is considered that the larger Touring class bike are easier to maneuver in slow speed turns if the proper techniques are used. My wife has a 1200c Sportster because that is what she wanted. But, it is by no means a chick bike. It handles worse, rides worse, and will run the nads off my Electra Glide. It is a blast to ride. But it is not a docile little girly machine. By the way an 883 will also run the big bikes in the ground if they are stock. Sportsters are good little machines if you are not a real large person and get too crowded on them. And at 560 lbs they are still a fairly good sized bike. They are just not large when compared to the behemoths that are getting larger and larger every year. Buy what you are comfortable with and enjoy it. You are the one who has to pay for it any way. And if they say anything negative to you they probably do not really know bikes to begin with.....Seldon

I find the larger motorcycles do better at low speed maneuvering too...especially when you have a 215 wide car tire on the back, like I do! VERY stable in creepingly slow speeds...bike plus me is well over 1000 lbs.

I've known a few guys who've owned them, and I came close to buying one myself. After taking a long ride on a '06 ElectraGlide, I decided that I simply don't like Harley engines, so I don't plan on buying one now.

Pretty simple which bikes are chick bikes. They are the ones with chicks on them, and any bike that is painted pink...

More labels...

First off- Hello! Nice forum! Lurking around for lubrication info proved to be very good reading.

Sportsters-Everybody has their personal opinions so here's mine...

If you like it. Ride it.

I'm 51, 6'2", 190 lbs.Started dirt riding when I was 11, owned/rode street bikes of all kinds since 16,raced Desert,Motocross and in my insane days dabbled a bit with speedway bikes and flattrackers.

I just bought a commute bike to get through SoCal traffic,a 2007 Night-"something" which is the XL1200N Nightster. You can view it on Harley's webpage here http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Conte...mp;swffamily=sp

Stupid name actually, but not exactly what pops into my mind as a "chick bike". It has a lot of GO, Whoa, and not a lot of trinkets to polish. Suits me fine for a street bike.
Oddly enough, it even has good manners in the twisty stuff at speed.The suspension is short and it will slap you in the [censored] once in awhile if you're not paying attention. However I don't recommend daydreaming while operating a motorcycle anyway so that can actually be considered a safety feature.

There's my $.02 from my experience. I hope to learn alot from you folks and hopefully participate meaningfully at some point in the future.

i dont know which sportster your asking about. a friend of mine owns a 883C i used to own a kaw cruiser it was 800 cc. The kaw walked all over the sportster. I was almost like i was riding a 1200 or 1300 cc bike in comparsion to speed and i didnt consider my 800 fast at all... the 883 had a 10% bigger engine too if you do the math. So as far as being quick, No way...

i have had honda's and after 3 years the chromed aluminum look's like [[censored]]my brother in law drives a kawa and anouther piece of [censored] ..my harley is full chrome and it still looks like new ,i would never go back and drive a "rice box"

It is the original Muscle bike...how could it be called a girls bike? I had no I idea it was not considered a bigginers bike. I learned on my 2006 Sporty in the HD parking lot. I was extreemly nervous and cautious as [censored]! Made it home safely and in the 7,000 miles we have traveled together it has not been laied down or scratched! It is pretty dirty now as I have been moving and ithas not had a bath in 2 months and over 2,000 miles! Here she is the dayI brought her home:
100_0239.jpg

Here is my Wife and her 2006 883. She also learned to ride on it. She accidently dropped it on a very steep parking lot driveway once but we got it up right away and all was ok. I pray [censored] continues to keep her, myself and all of us riders safe:
100_0241.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back