Do you consider a Sportster to be a "chick" bike..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after going 25 years without a bike I bought my Sportster last November. I've put 5500 trouble free and crash free miles on it to date.

I was nervous as all get out riding it home from the dealer that first time. I literally had not been on a bike in 25 years and I could tell the second I rolled off the lot the Sportster was no beginners bike. When I replaced the stock 13.5" shocks with 12" shocks it improved the handling some because it lowered the center of gravity. But it still takes concentration and the deft working of the throttle, clutch, and rear brake to do low speed maneuvers and tight S turns smoothly. Someone who doesn't know what they're doing will quickly dump one of these at slow speeds.

Quote:

Final thought,,,It would entirely depend on which brand oil is used.

laugh.gif

I like Sportsters but might opt for either a Suzuki or Kawi if I decide to get into a cruiser style bike...and ths comes on advice from a Harley Owner...since I consider myself a fairly new rider with less than a year under my belt it might be good advice based on what some of you have said about not being a good bike for a novice

Goose
patriot.gif

Goose, if you go Harley, consider a Low-Rider or a Road King...whichever style and fit suits you. For less money, you could get a Kawasaki Nomad (fully dresser tourer), 1600 or 1500 Classic, or the Vulcan 2000 (2053 cc V-twin). All wonderful bikes ranging from about 8,000 to 12,000 in price. I've owned both of those particular Harleys, a 1500 Classic and the Vulcan 2000...all are very nice bikes. The 2000 is the best for cruising, the Nomad is nicest for touring, the Harley's have that classical exhaust note, and the Harley's I mentioned have rubber mounted engines and run smoothly. I haven't owned a Suzuki, but I understand they make a good bike. Lot's of nice bikes out there...don't hesitate to get on a bunch before deciding...I also have owned and liked Honda VFR's, BMW Flying Bricks as well as the flat twins. A couple of bikes have some real weird things, like some Yamaha's that require an exhaust pipe to be removed in order to change the Oil filter! So, watch out for some of those quirks...and, please consider taking a Motorcycle Safety course...it could save your life.

The sportster is the fun and sporty Harley model in my opinion. Its not a great choice for really big people but is a great option and value for most. In my opinion it is poor form for people to talk down about Sporty's. Their heritage is rich. People who talk poorly about Sportsters seem to be yuppy riders who joy pointing out those who don't take out second mortgages on their homes for a trophy bike. Thats OK. While most real bikers are out on the road most of these leather clad yuppies are waxing their chrome laden American rolling shows in suburban garages. The sportster is a great bike. Yep, you can buy a bigger import for less, but to each his own. I will never look down on Sporty's. In fact, I would like to own one.

I don't think I'm ready for a bike that large yet Titan...or want to spend that much $$ on a bike but thanks for the info...will come in handy down the line. Oh trust me, before I even got my license I attended the MSF course.
grin.gif

I'm not talking down on Sportys at all...I love the way they look...I'm just responding that while I like them, I don't think my ability is ready for one yet given the high center of gravty that is mentioned here

Goose
patriot.gif

Woudln't let the cent of grav thing dissuade you if that's the bike you want. Yes it's high, but compared to what? a lowered fatboy? there are million of noobs riding bikes that are taller and just as top heavy as a sporty, get what you want and enjoy. You can always throw a set of crash bars on it if your worried about dropping it. Bikes will get tipped over, fact of life, and it's never the bikes fault.

Quote:

But it still takes concentration and the deft working of the throttle, clutch, and rear brake to do low speed maneuvers and tight S turns smoothly. Someone who doesn't know what they're doing will quickly dump one of these at slow speeds.

Amen.
My wife has had 3 low-speed "incidents",
frown.gif
none of which resulted in injury or significant damage.

Allow me to clarify my last post. When I said it was poor form for people to talk down about Sporty's I was referring to those who call them "chick bikes". I was not referring to the center of gravity discussions. I just wanted to clarify so that you guys don't think I was referring to you. I recently sold a 2000 Buell S3T. It had a Sporty motor (with 107 hp and 100+ ft lbs) and was the funnest bike to ride in my 21 years of doing so. I now have a 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal (Italian V-Twin) that I purchased for quite a bargain. It is the second most fun to ride bike I have ever owned.

I am on my fourth bike and I am in my early 50's and never have owned a HD.
Personally I like the sptster's. They look unique and agile.
The higher center of gravity is a plus for what it is designed for. I myself don't care about too much chrome work but overall beaty and attractive design are important. This bike actually is designed with some performance considerations in mind. Chick bikes are those owned/ridden by chicks whatever and whoevey they might be. Get over all boundries and buy what you enjoy to own regardless of what people might lable it.

Are you in the market for a chick bike? If you are worried about what people think about your bike than yes some will say they are chick bikes I was lauded the other day at work for saying I wanted an 883. As for chick bikes I can't even think of one off the top of my head now... who cares what people think...

Spotster offers a standard as well as high hight.
The standard is barely higher than most crusers if I remember correctly.
I was actually eying the Sportster for awhile since looking for somewhat sportier but not spots bike. I ended up buying a Honda 919 due to a great deal I found.

I have owned both 883 Sportster and a TC88 Dyna. While I prefer the Dyna for it's 6 speed cruising capability, the Sportster is a fun machine and has a higher CG than the larger dynas. The 1200custom Sportster is a real nice machine right out of the box and the 1200R is a handful of roadster as well. Both are worth the $$ IMO. There are many girls riding softails & dynas as they both offer the lowest seat height of the HD series. They do make a 1200L (low) for shorter people and many girls opt for that model but it is just as low as a FatBoy or Lowrider. In most cases the decision is financial since the 1200C or 1200R will run the pants off the Dynas & Softails.

Several guys I know called my 883 a "baby Harley" or "girlie bike" but those are the steroid freaks anyway and most can't process a complete thought anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back