Do you clean your Mass Air Flow Sensor?

Moisture in the air and fine dust accumulates on the sensor and causes the MAF to get dirty.

Of course, there are many self-cleaning MAF sensors. As soon as you turn the engine off the sensor wire is heated to 1,800°F for a short period to burn off contaminants. I don't know if film sensors may have that feature.

There are also some hot wire types that self clean. Personally I don't try to clean any of them.

Moisture in the air and fine dust accumulates on the sensor and causes the MAF to get dirty.
If the air filter is changed with a quality filter at the appropriate interval you wont find dust in the filter to throttle body tubes or the MAF. If you do a poor quality or ill fitting filter or tube leaks is suspected.

My oven is designed to be self cleaning, too. Doesn't do a great job with plastic.

That MAF won't do anything to a leaf, walnut, filter media, silicone, plastic, dirt. You get the gist. Anything other than PCV, and PCV was never an issue.

The MAF you posted is literally just a standard issue 3 wire, 5v reference MAF.
The Bosch 3 wire is a self cleaning MAF.

Power to the MAF sensor is provided through a pair of relays (one for power, one for the burn-off cleaning cycle),

The one in the 2az-fe engine (camry, rav4, scion tc, etc) for 2006 even if it is self-cleaning, it doesn't stop the pcv system which recycles the crankcase vapors back into the throttle body intake tube.. those vapors end up going upstream to the MAF sensor and it gets dirty.. And it's only 2 wire system for the air flow, so might not be self-cleaning.

CRC's MAF sensor cleaner is basically an electronics cleaner safe for plastics.. I've looked at the MSDS looks the same but hey.. easy to find at the autoparts store.. been using this for years, awesome product!

Never cleaned one.

I did clean a TB once, on my Tundra, as it had an idle problem. No issues afterwards. I then cleaned the TB on my Camry, seemed to have a similar idle issue, and the idle was off for a couple weeks it seemed. Avoid touching them now. But have never touched the MAF.

“…..When I checked the MSDS sheets comparing CRC Maf Cleaner to their electrical contact cleaner, the only difference is the propellant they use. MAF cleaner uses carbon dioxide and the electrical contact cleaner uses a flammable propellant.

FWIW,
According to the LARGE letters on the front of the CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner it is also described as being :

“EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE”.

(Not surprised).

Another tip, never touch the sensor wires. Just spray the heck out of it.

On my 2002 Jaguar XKR, there are two sensors incorporated into one unit.

The more visible sensor is an air temp sensor. Practically hidden up inside the plastic tube is the actual MAF sensor. But liberal use of the CRC spray will still clean it very well.

The only time I’ve ever cleaned a MAF was when my Mazda was throwing a CEL. I’d clean the MAF with the special spray and the CEL would come back after a few thousand miles. I finally replaced it and no problem since. The original MAF lasted 150K and had never been cleaned.

I may try spraying it down every air filter change.

only when I think it's bad and don't want to spend the money to replace it :D

Also, I'd do it regularly in certain Nissans and other cars where MAF problems are common :sneaky:

I've never cleaned the maf in any of my cars. If you are needing to you should look for intake system leaks / poor fitting aftermarket air filters etc

Just did it for the first time on my 2011 G37 (73K miles)

MPG has been tanking for the last month, figured a quick clean of the MAFs was easy and cheap to try since I was already there changing/cleaning the air filter elements and engine oil/filter.

On my 2002 Jaguar XKR some of the crankcase breather system (like a PCV system) puts oil vapors into the intake pipe, and they do affect the MAF if it’s never cleaned. The MAF on that car is upstream (closer to the air cleaner box) of the CC breather by a couple of inches, so it’s not a significant issue. But there is some residual effect nonetheless.

I clean the MAF about every 5,000 miles.

Z

The only MAF I've cleaned is the one in the Safari after finding that the filter and housing lid wasn't replaced properly.

maf_cropped.jpg

Never cleaned the MAF (Bosch) in the Camaro. It has a burn-off cycle.

changed the air filters in both cars today and cleaned the MAF sensors as well. Easy Peasy

I use the CRC about once a year on all my rides. Do them all the same day. So easy.

Back