Do they make dual voltage gas furnaces?

A 2kw will easily run his furnace blower. That was the only thing he was interested in running.

Yes, a bigger generator will run more of a load at the cost of consuming more gas.
I run my house with an HF 4375 generator, 240v. Runs my well pump, gas furnace, lights refrigerator. I can cook, watch TV. Just can't do it all at once.

Runs almost 16hrs on 4 gallons of gas.

I run my house with an HF 4375 generator, 240v. Runs my well pump, gas furnace, lights refrigerator. I can cook, watch TV. Just can't do it all at once.

Runs almost 16hrs on 4 gallons of gas.
That’s good to know. I’ve been eyeing their next size up, as i have an oil burner on 120 and a well pump on 240. No idea on surge for each, which is my holdup.

That and storing that much gas, and upkeep on the darn thing.

Buying, connecting, storing, maintaining a generator isn't what I'm looking for when power outages last just for a few hours here. Maybe I'll just hole up in the bathroom and fill the tub and and sink with hot water every 20 minutes to keep warm. Or recommission the fireplace which hasn't been used in decades. Or get a gas insert for it.

That’s good to know. I’ve been eyeing their next size up, as i have an oil burner on 120 and a well pump on 240. No idea on surge for each, which is my holdup.

That and storing that much gas, and upkeep on the darn thing.
I run the furnace most of the time. I turn the furnace off for a bit if I need to run the well pump to refill toilets or wash dishes or take a shower.

If we want the oven or cook top,.I turn the furnace and well pump off for a bit.

Live pretty comfortable actually during an outage. And I can keep 15 gallons of gas on hand , that's 3 days worth with this generator.

Buying, connecting, storing, maintaining a generator isn't what I'm looking for when power outages last just for a few hours here. Maybe I'll just hole up in the bathroom and fill the tub and and sink with hot water every 20 minutes to keep warm. Or recommission the fireplace which hasn't been used in decades. Or get a gas insert for it.
Is your water from the city? as in, under pressure when the power goes out?

That many cars… I’d say, just take one out for a spin!

Maybe a buddy heater and few 1lb tanks of propane?

I run the furnace most of the time. I turn the furnace off for a bit if I need to run the well pump to refill toilets or wash dishes or take a shower.
My hot water is off the furnace, so option there for me, :)

15 gallons isn’t that bad, more than I use in the mower I think, but I guess I can always cycle through a car instead. Just need to find some gas cans, I was not impressed with what I saw at HD, looked kinda sketchy.

Maybe a buddy heater and few 1lb tanks of propane?
I have one of those, and the 15’ hose so as to run a 20lb propane tank, for use in the garage. I swear, after a couple hours I think the combustion byproducts start to accumulate, I guess my garage isn’t drafty enough. But for an hour of work it sure can take the edge off.

My hot water is off the furnace, so option there for me, :)

15 gallons isn’t that bad, more than I use in the mower I think, but I guess I can always cycle through a car instead. Just need to find some gas cans, I was not impressed with what I saw at HD, looked kinda sketchy.
I keep a couple of plastic cans in a shed away from the house. A type 1 metal safety can in the garage. I may buy another safety can. I keep fuel winter and summer. What i dont use by spring, gets run through the mower , or dumped in a car. I buy fuel twice a year , so its fairly fresh non ethanol on hand. If it sits more than 3 months i cycle it.

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-7150100-Galvanized-Flammables-Capacity/dp/B003XW8342/ref=sr_1_35?crid=1QQI92L4KM2B9&keywords=just+rite&qid=1671896040&sprefix=just+rite,aps,100&sr=8-35

71MhmC+GiAL._SL1500_.jpg

your gas water heater runs because it gas and does not need to be ignited with power. the pilot is on . the gas valve is controlled by the thermostat.

your heater is forced air and needs power to run the blower. if you watch the action , it will release gas, but will ahve no way to ignite it as the hot ignighter will not come on nor the blower run.

you could probably run your car with an inverter and hook it up to the furnace power and get it working. there i a vid on the tube to run a furnace with a battery. the negatives is that you car is running and if in a garage bad things could happen. if ourdoors need a long extension .

if you don't want the trouble of a generator then a gas insert will be a good option. they will light when the power is out and can heat a home pretty well .

Back