Do the Kia Theta Engine Problems Continue in Later Model Years?

I am looking at a 2017 Kia Sportage EX, low miles, lease return, certified used. I am aware of the recent class action settlement related to the engine problems and it includes 2017 model year. However, most of the reviews are good, KBB & Edmunds both like it, and many of the problems I read about are for vehicles through the 2014 model year. So, is a later model year Kia a safe bet? How common are the engine problems in the newest generation?

I wouldn't let it scare me off. To be honest, I'd trust a 2.4 Theta more than any of the other little 1.5Ts that are going into most other small crossovers.

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to avoid cvt and turbos so I like the Sportage and the Rav 4 but the Sportage can be bought reasonably. The Rav 4 should come with gold coins in the glove box for what dealers want for used ones.

I’m not well versed with the Kia products but I believe they also offer a lifetime warranty on numerous models with the Theta II engine. The engine failures really seemed to taper off after MY2016. I’m pretty active on a Hyundai forum and there have only been a handful of MY2017 owners with failures. I haven’t read of any MY2018 or newer owners with failures so it at least seems that Hyundai did something to increase the durability of these things.

I'm still leery about CVTs. I have a 2019 Sorento with a 6 speed and an 03 Matrix with an Aisin 4 speed that I'll drive into the ground before I get rid of it. Both do pretty good. Have not heard of any issues with 2.0 or 2.4 engines post 2016. If the Rav 4 still had an Aisin 6 speed trans I'd say go for that. But a low mileage 17 Sorento off lease and taken care of? Could be good.

Or they newer ones are too new to fail.
Could be! I just know that with the MY2011-2016 it wasn’t uncommon to hear of engines failing under 40K miles but the MY2017+ there really hasn’t been much complaint.

Last edited:
I thought they were over it too...but then we had not one but two Hyundai 1.6 liter fours grenade at work at only 30k. Both 2018 models. Warranty has been great as mentioned, no fuss but inconvenient, but I believe I'd still opt for something with their V6 for a while yet if going Hyundai/Kia.

I thought they were over it too...but then we had not one but two Hyundai 1.6 liter fours grenade at work at only 30k. Both 2018 models. Warranty has been great as mentioned, no fuss but inconvenient, but I believe I'd still opt for something with their V6 for a while yet if going Hyundai/Kia.
The Gamma 1.6T still has some failures. They were never anywhere near as widespread as the Theta II though. The naturally aspirated Gamma 1.6 has been pretty reliable. Were these turbo or non turbo engines that failed?

The Tucson’s have the 1.6T.

Either way the 1.6T is pretty reliable but skipping maintenance intervals seems to be a killer for them.

They were naturally aspirated 1.6's in a pair of 2018 Hyundai Tucsons purchased at the same time.
The 1.6 in the Tucson IS a turbo......not sure I'm putting too much faith in your so called testimonial.
What do you do at the dealership again.....?

Bought mine brand new 8/2016 and put 45k miles on it. Love the car, no problem at all. the entertainment system is better than the ones they put in Mercedes and Porsche, no jokes. The maintenance is super easy too

I didn't believe you because these things literally can't get out of their own way but I looked it up they are turbos. I didn't know that, nor did the manager who bought them I doubt he would have purchased anything with a turbo for our use.

Considering that they have the same HP but higher torque than the 2.4 in the Santa Fe - - - - I always thought the 1.6 tucson was a nice fit. Faster than most other small SUV's.
Go look up the 0-60 times for the 1.6 turbo tucson........its class leading. Calling them slow makes zero sense.

Considering that they have the same HP but higher torque than the 2.4 in the Santa Fe - - - - I always thought the 1.6 tucson was a nice fit. Faster than most other small SUV's.
Go look up the 0-60 times for the 1.6 turbo tucson........its class leading. Calling them slow makes zero sense.

I don’t know why Hyundai decided to mate this engine with the DCT transmission. The DCT has been problematic for years. I wonder why they didn’t just use the 6 speedautomatic from the Veloster Turbo. Probably has something to do with the weight of the Tucson and also needing a transmission that is AWD capable.

Back