Do people just not notice problems anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it makes me wonder if people open up their eyes anymore.

My local Post Office refuses to clear the snow off of the city sidewalks that are on THEIR property.

Now, the sidewalks that are between the building and the parking lot are all cleared off. But the sidewalks that people who WALK to the Post Office would have to use? They're all still under 6 inches of snow, once it gets to the Post Office property line.

So, if you DRIVE a car to the Post Office, everything is all cleaned off. But if you WALK, you're on your own.

And they didn't clear these sidewalks last winter either.

I filed a complaint yesterday. We'll see how many weeks (months) it takes before anything changes.

Until then, I'm not clearing the snow from in front of my mailbox down by the street. (But I have cleared the snow from ALL of my sidewalks)

Here in OH a court precedent lowered/eliminated the legal risk of not cleaning your sidewalks (although I still clean mine)-maybe they're too cheap to do it?

I know a guy that works at the City government here. He said the fastest way to get service on something like this (where a person could be injured) is to put the City on written notice of the problem.

If it ever came out in litigation, the combination of their normal duty to do these things and the written notice of the hazard would be extremely damaging to the City's case, and could lead to punitive damages.

Is there a regulation in town to clear sidewalks x hours after the end of snowfall? There is where I live.

The police will issue tickets (doubt if they ever do though), at least theoretically.

Where I live this is very selectively enforced, depending on how much clout the person has with the powers that be. On my regular dog walk a business owner clears his parking lot by completely blocking the public sidewalk with huge piles of snow, yet never has a problem with that. However, in the paper I read of individual homeowners getting written up for slippery or not cleared sidewalks. It depends on who you schmooze with I guess.

When I lived in Wisconsin if post man could not pull up to your mail box and drive out you did not get mail. It had to be a large half circle. They did not deliver our mail for 3 weeks until we found out what was happening.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
When I lived in Wisconsin if post man could not pull up to your mail box and drive out you did not get mail.

Same here in MI if it's not plowed no Mail!

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Take a dive in front of the Post Office, then sue. That should work.

Ya thats what i said
Originally Posted By: daman
let someone slip and fall and sue! you'll seen 'em cleand off.

Here they do issue ~45 dollar ticket 48 hours after the snowfall. That's the city. The post office will leave a warning that they won't deliver if you don't shovel, and I guess will stop eventually.

Silly question from a person in FL....

but why can't you walk on a sidewalk with 6 inches of snow, its not like its 2 feet of snow ?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Silly question from a person in FL....

but why can't you walk on a sidewalk with 6 inches of snow, its not like its 2 feet of snow ?
21.gif

Why don't you just grab your football and head back home...?

The main problem is that by not clearing the sidewalk off in the timely manner, there's now a thick layer of ice stuck to the sidewalk, where the first inch of snow that fell has now slowly melted into a 1/4" thick sheet of solid ice.

That's the problem now. And if we get more snow, the problem just gets worse and worse.

Its so cold because of global warming...no, i meant climate change...uh,,wait a minute,,,i meant sun cooling...uh...solar warming?....uh...global cooling...uh...i meant?

Dan

It's been pretty tropical down here, record rains, following record drought.

Looks like something is changing.

We are into drought conditions before the end of the year...we don't see this until February.My lawn is dying,2 months early.The river is so low they have found a car with a body in it...been there all winter.

for the last decade, I've been traipsing through 1/4 mile concrete path of duck faeces to get to the office.

It's obvious that no managers walk the path.

I think the path that your post office refuses to clear may be just that...the people that can change the issue don't even know it exists.

silk,
driving around this arv, there's carpet from flooded houses out the front awaiting collection...never seen that around here.

Lake that wasn't looking like filling up ever gained 50% in 24 hours, and is overflowing...was trying to ID the V-8 engine block 100m from the spillway last year.

Normally the weather pattern of eastern Australia wanders over here at bit altered a few days later,after picking up a bit more water from the Tasman.But the Tasman Sea just keeps filling up with highs one after the other,holding the lows and fronts over there.

Last week was fantastic weather,then I went on a 3 day motorcycle ride,travelling light.The weather was perfect....and still is.Stable weather of any sort for more than 3 days is unheard of in New Zealand.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Until then, I'm not clearing the snow from in front of my mailbox down by the street. (But I have cleared the snow from ALL of my sidewalks)

That'll sure teach them a thing or two! Especially since the carrier that serves your home probably has nothing to do with clearing the sidewalks at the post office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back