Do old vinyl records have any value?

Getting a little OT from the original post, but maybe not. To set this up, I will tell you that it's small town settings....
This was a local group back in the 70's. They played at the local bars during the weekends and you could also book them for wedding dances and the like. I will say that I probably heard them several times back then, I just don't remember them. At that time, if there was a live band somewhere, it would have been a draw to me even if I forgot their name the next day. However, I bought this album a few years ago because one of the members of the band (who will remain anonymous) just happened to be my college professor. I did not know it at the time of my schooling, but if I did, I probably wouldn't have let the professor forget it and I definitely would have clued in the other classmates. :LOL:
Anyway, I've kept in touch this this professor off and on as we both collect vintage stereo amps. The professor collects solid state and I collect tube amps. (although I did manage to snag a Bose 1801 years ago)
Fast forward to about two months ago, and I found out that this band was having a 50th reunion get together. It just turns out that all of the original members are still above ground and they decided to have a concert in a town about 30 minutes from me. I texted my professor a few weeks ahead of time with some questions and he grudgingly admitted that it was true. I marked the date on my calendar! The concert was in a former roller skating rink. Admission was free (but they made their money on booze sales). 🍺There had to of been close to 1,000 people there, as the place was packed. I took an LP along that they manged to release "back in the day". During intermission, I managed to get each member of the band to autograph it. I was the only one there who had brought in an old LP of theirs and hardly anyone else in attendance that night even knew that they had ever had an album. Each member was very happy to sign it and the ladies of the band had somebody take their picture as they were signing my album. It really put a smile on their faces. So, the original question was how much is an album worth. To me, this one is priceless.

Attachments

• connie.JPG
    connie.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 15
there is a market for just about anything... as always the problem is finding a buyer willing to pay..

My daughter is 30 and has started to collect vinyl records. Some vinyl records are worth money. My wife has an autographed vinyl of Air Supply's Greatest Hits. I don't think it's going to command a huge price.
If a letter of authenticity comes with it it could. Otherwise, anyone can sign a record.

If a letter of authenticity comes with it it could. Otherwise, anyone can sign a record.
We brought it to a concert and they signed it after the show. Not that we're looking to sell it. Don't think Air Supply is in big demand as they still tour a lot.

When I got divorced from the first one she kept my vinyl and sold them. Out of all my records, my Public Image, Ltd was worth the most by far. Almost as much as the other 50 albums put together.

I had a bunch of 45 and the 33's or whatever they are called and couldn't get hardly anything for them on ebay. I ended up giving them away to a friend who had and old player.

I have a couple hundred LPs from the early 80's onward . And a Pioneer turntable I purchased new in 1981. Not what I wanted to hear about demand. Ughhh

I own very few LP records, but here is one I've had awhile. I've never listened to it, for some reason...
Ooops, I dropped a spark plug on one side. :p

Attachments

• mm1.JPG
    mm1.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 19
  • mm2.JPG
    mm2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 19
I have a couple hundred LPs from the early 80's onward . And a Pioneer turntable I purchased new in 1981. Not what I wanted to hear about demand. Ughhh
If you like records keep them, sentimental value.

All “collectors” markets are scams anyway. Buy what you like and keep or donate

The reason people are recommending vinyl is because the same music on cd is often butchered these days: recorded so loud there's constant clipping going on. It's what the loudness wars led to. Apparently this is getting toned down again (but not for streaming services). Vinyl doesn't lend itself to the same abuse.

But yes, a smart person buys the vinyl and transfers it to digital with some sane recording levels.
What I wrote here is purely academical and theoretical. CDs are limited to 48KHz sampling so the sound will only go up to 24KHz in theory (information can be recorded up to 1/2 the sampling rate). Human hearing can be up to 20KHz in theory but most people can notice the difference when above 20KHz sounds are included vs not. So, a good analog medium has better sound since above 24KHz is included in analog.

This assumes the vinyl is recorded well (way above 48KHz) and isn't worn out.

What I wrote here is purely academical and theoretical. CDs are limited to 48KHz sampling so the sound will only go up to 24KHz in theory (information can be recorded up to 1/2 the sampling rate). Human hearing can be up to 20KHz in theory but most people can notice the difference when above 20KHz sounds are included vs not. So, a good analog medium has better sound since above 24KHz is included in analog.

Folks quote the bandwith, but its not that important. 16khz is pretty well good enough. Not much up there. (say this deaf guy, lol) FM stereo has been limited to mid teens khz, never heard much audiophile chatter about that.

CD dynamic range isn't great, to prevent hard clipping you have to record about 20 db down when soft limiting, making the effective range about 65-70 db. With tape and records you can hear signal below and into the noise. There is no CD signal deep in the noise - unless you add dither - which is noise.

Not much talk of jitter - it is often a huge problem. Then dont forget Digital filtering causing pre-echo/ and ringing.

Digital recording is O.K. with 24/48 with record/playback on proper non moving media, or tape.

As usual, mastering process is key. Duplication next. If you really want a CD, then 2x or 4x burnt - not stamped CD copies if you want a listenable CD using semi- pro or consumer grade equipment.

Last edited:
Most of my vinyl is practically brand new. I started buying records when 8-track and cassette tape were mainstream. My vinyl was recorded to tape and then put away. I listened to tape so the vinyl is pretty well preserved.

CD audio is encoded in 44.1 kHz, which means a practical frequency limit of 20 kHz after passing the necessary filters in the DAC.

I doubt there's mucch info on a vinyl above 20 kHZ (except the special 4 channel ones) but you can see a lot of harmonics (cartridges just produce a lot of harmonics).

I sure can't hear it, I'm limited to 16 kHz at my age, and I need the world around me to be perfectly silent to do that. But I do hear clipping just fine.

The documentary is worth a watch . Available at YOUTUBE and other providers . Watched it through PEACOCK .

Most of my vinyl is practically brand new. I started buying records when 8-track and cassette tape were mainstream. My vinyl was recorded to tape and then put away. I listened to tape so the vinyl is pretty well preserved.
Chrome ? I find they hold up better as the years pass .

For cassette, I recorded primarily on TDK SA, SA-X and MA.

For 8-Track tape it was whatever was available; BASF, Memorex, Ampex, Realistic (Radio Shack) or whatever tape Olsen Electronics cartridges contained.

IMO, the best sounding car deck was the Muntz 888.

Back